Is your Driving Licence out of date?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mummycat

Is your Driving Licence out of date?

Post by mummycat »

Hi everyone,

I just want to give some advice, as recently I needed to produce some photo id and I'd let my passport expire (no income=no money + no holiday this year), so I produced my driving licence.

Since we moved last year, I updated my driving licence photo card/paper copy with my new address. But did you know that since the introduction of the new style in 1998, there has been an expiry date for 10 years? This means if you haven't needed to update your card (because you haven't moved house, changed your name, etc.) and it was issued between 1998 and 2001, it's probably expired and you could be fined up to £1,000. If it expired more than 2 years ago, you could be required to pass your test again!

Look at the reverse of your card, at point 4b. This will give the expiry date in very small writing.

http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/wha ... pired.html
Rachael

Re: Is your Driving Licence out of date?

Post by Rachael »

I got a reminder from the DVLA and a renewal form before mine expired.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
JRobinson

Re: Is your Driving Licence out of date?

Post by JRobinson »

Thanks for this - I was under the impression that the licence expired the day before my 70th birthday (and the paper counterpart does verify this), but my photo ID expires in Feb 2012 - and I only got it renewed with my new address in January!

I've noticed that if you tilt the card, the hologram in the bottom left shows the expiry date too.