what is your favourite thing about sydenham?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

do you love sydenham?

yes
82%
no
18%

Total votes: 17

leaf

what is your favourite thing about sydenham?

Post by leaf »

in light of some recent topics and postings,which seem to highlight the negative,what is your favourite thing or place or even person in sydenham?

i'll start with a few;

trees and open spaces[compared to other parts of london]
good state primary schools
a good independant bookshop
DaveT

too much to list...

Post by DaveT »

my starter for 10.

1. The high st - decent chemist, shoe shop, pretty good supermarket, awesome health food store, selection of banks, stationary shop, 24hr corner shop, bakers, pet shop, a handfull of pretty good reasonable restaurants, local DIY shops... must stop, the list goes on and on - lots of good things.

2. The people - having lived in london for 15+ years, both north and south of the great divide, I have found Sydenham easily the most friendly place to live. Not all people, but % wise, friendlier than other places

3. Parks + Greenery. No need to say more - there is so much!

4. Transport links - charingX, l/bridge, victoria, blackfriars, orpington, guilford, sutton, croydon.... [ and the soon to be ELLR ]

5. Society - the people in Sydenham (myself included) seem to be a very social bunch - lots of clubs, societies, informal groups etc of like minded people who like to get together for whatever reasons. [ even if the pubs are not everyone's cup of tea ]

6. There is not a McDonalds/KFC/burger king on the high st.

7. Diversity. Need I say more?

8. Somerfields and big Sainsbury's

9. The "greasy spoon" diners. Love 'em. Drop the preconceptions and drop in for a cuppa. Have a chat. don't judge, and be prepared for a pleasant surprise!

10. The STF web site - it does make a difference! [ and is also sometimes oh soooo funny! ]
leaf

Post by leaf »

thanks dave t

i was beggining to despair,so many people have looked at this and yet no one else had anything good to say?

i suppose its easier to be negative :cry:

but dave has made some good points,i'll add to one of his;

chefs delight,a good place if you're in the mood for that sort of thing,friendly accommodating staff and great pancakes! :D
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I love 'Gurkas' Indian and Nepalese restaurant on Sydenham High st. Its in my top 3 of best Indian restaurants ever. I also love 'That's Amore' Italian restaurant on Kirkdale. Mmm, I'm feeling hungry now...
Lawriec

Post by Lawriec »

I love the book shop, the health food shop. I love the friendly women in the charity shops too!!
I like transport links and greenery too. I like my house!!
leaf

Post by leaf »

thank you all

still cant believe that despite all these 'views' only 3 people have anything good to say!

OH DEAR
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

I love Sydenham too. I love my house, I love my neighbours (yes - I actually do! We're all great friends), I love the wildlife in my garden (including a woodpecker who is a regular visitor). I love the high street, I love Whites Pet shop - especially Isaac the Alsation. I love Mayow Park, I love my rasta postman who lets my daughter look in the postbox on the way home from nursery.........I could go on and on!

I am loved up to the max!!
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

leaf wrote:thank you all

still cant believe that despite all these 'views' only 3 people have anything good to say!

OH DEAR
No. I give up. What's the answer? :twisted:
leaf

Post by leaf »

tut tut knighton,there was me thinking that you had added something nice to one of my posts!

what can you possibly mean?
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

I thought it was a riddle. I tried and I tried to work it out....

but I failed. :oops:
Lawriec

Post by Lawriec »

Sarahc, we have the same postman, and we all love him too!! He is so friendly. A pleasant additon to the community.
Knighton, one word, MOVE
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Lawriec: one word.... IMPROVE
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Do you mean Dean the postman ? Does all along Lawrie Park Road ? Top bloke, and definitely one of the things that makes Sydenham such a fantastic place.

Along with the best DIY shop in the world, the best independent bookshop in London, 6 trains an hour into town, Sydenham Wells Park (and Crystal Palace Park), Peter the newsagents, opposite the Greyhound, the bottle shop at the bottom of Kirkdale, our neighbours, Makepeace chemists (who probably cure more Sydenham residents than the doctors do), the short walk to a couple of pubs in Forest Hill, at least two of the curry houses/takeaways on the High Street, the Kiosk at the station.

There really is plenty more to be positive about, and positivity breeds positivity.

I cant help but think that Knighton is a 'glass half empty' sort of person. I have contributed to this site for some time, and read it regularly - I am yet to see any sort of positive comment from him/her. I mean, did I read correctly, or do we really need two footbridges, one for getting from Platform 1 to 2, and one for getting from 2 to 1 ? As for levelling the Greyhound, and building some sort of bus terminus - hmmmmm.

From my list I missed the cool dude who keps our roads and pavements clean - the one who wears different headwear, including stetsons of a pastel colour. That man is a natural born star, and should be destined for the top. Having said that, I haven't seen him for some weeks.

Marvellous.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

There's a lovely man who cleans our street too. The quality of street cleaners round here is top.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

No fishcox. You did not read it correctly.

and aucontraire.... I am very much a glass half full person.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Ah, Knighton, I re-read one of your previous posts, and stand corrected. It wasnt two footbridges you wanted, it was two road bridges !! An even more ridiculous idea than I originally thought.

If you are going to be pretentious, by using French in a thread, at least get it right - 'au contraire' is two words.

Still trying to find something you have written which is positive.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

You will learn the software that operates this site is somewhat slow and frequently characters seem to get lost....

That, though, requires you have the ability to learn. This depends on intellect.

Meanwhile I suggest you read my earlier post once more.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I have neither the time nor the inclination to re-read the rubbish you post on this site.

I have been reading and contributing to STF for quite some time, and not once have I found the software to be slow, nor to miss characters.

Of course, you knew all along that it was 'au contraire' as opposed to 'aucontraire', it was a software problem. Yeah right. One day I hope to reach your level of intellect.

Anyway, just point me towards that positive post of yours.
leaf

Post by leaf »

NOW NOW!

:wink:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Alright fishface, what's your big plan then? At least Knighton has one.