Need a chair re-upholstering...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
dorino

Need a chair re-upholstering...

Post by dorino »

Hello,
I was very lucky to find an old Ercol armchair in a junk shop recently, and I'm doing it up for my little girl's room.
Would anyone be able to recommend a good (and reasonably priced) upholsterer? I need new cushions and to have them covered.
Thanks very much.
mosy

Re: Need a chair re-upholstering...

Post by mosy »

Hi. I was thinking about this but the last time I had a chair re-upholstered I didn't live in Sydenham. I have to say it cost a lot of money even about 10+ years ago. My best thought would be to ring an auction house like this one in West Norwood http://www.roseberys.co.uk/ and see if they know of anyone (know doesn't necessarily mean recommend of course). Ones I knew in Catford and Peckham areas are long gone, so hopefully that might be a starting point for you.

Edit PS: There used to be a shop in Eltham High Street (well it was off the Hight Street down a kind of arcade of shops) that sold the really dense foam that one would need for cushion bases (which would be an alternative to horsehair-type stuffing as in traditional upholstery). Whether they're still there or not... Could check out dense foam suppliers on the internet I guess.
dorino

Post by dorino »

Thanks very much for that Mosy, will look into it.
Best wishes, Dorino
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hello again. My brain kept ticking over and I remembered A1 Upholstery in Springbank Road (near Hither Green station): http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1135/54798.php

I had a chair redone there satisfactorily about 20+ years ago so I gave them a quick ring to be sure they were still going and it transpires that it's the same chap who would have done mine! He must be good to have kept going all this time :)
pip

Post by pip »

Hi Dorino,
There is an established furniture restorers and upholsterers at 291 Sydenham Road.
Or call Peter on 07779410620 They are also french polishers.
Pip
mikej

Post by mikej »

There is one in Kent House Road, they have been there for many years..

D & J Cromwell

202 Kent House Road, London BR3 1JN

020 8778 9994

They are just past the Lennard Road lights, in the shops on the right
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Try Bishops Antiques in the High St. Dave is fab at reupholstering for a very reasonable price. Did a friend's chaise and a nursing chair for me. Great quality, great price.
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

Is there one in Perry Vale? I'm sure I walk past a shop that always has a brightly re-worked chair in the front.
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Hmmm, my cat has shredded a chair indoors and although I threaten to turn her into cat soup for doing it, she knows I'm bluffing as she's a great burglar alarm.
grrrrrrrr.
The chair itself is nothing special but, if the price is reasonable, it may be worth it.

thanks all.