An old pub on the cover of a book I have.

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Greg Whitehead

An old pub on the cover of a book I have.

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Does anyone know which building this is?

It's the front cover of Forest Hill & Sydenham past by Coulter and Seaman. It just does't marry with any pub that I can think of...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/07509 ... eader-link

Might be obvious but it's got me stumped!
leaf

Post by leaf »

hi greg

it says which pub it is on the side of the building!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I wasn't joking but now realise that I have shown myself up a bit. Sorry Leaf. The sign on the left hand corner of the building clearly stating that it's the Greyhound Hotel ought to have been a clue !!
leaf

Post by leaf »

:lol:
i actually thought you were making some kind of ironic joke!

i edited my first post which said something like
'i assume you not joking,its the greyhound'

hasnt it changed?

is that a shop on the side of the building?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Yeah, there used to be a shop at the side of the Greyhound seen in a few photos within that book and the previous one in the series. Also, at the original butchers shop on Cobb's Corner there appears to have been another building on the corner of this...
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

The shop on the side of the Greyhound (with the R&G Davies awning) has been incorporated into the pub now?

It'd be interesting to find out what happened to Meuxs brewery - might give an idea as to the date of the 'photo.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Thanks Greg for scanning in that beautiful photograph of the Greyhound which will show users of the forum just what has been lost! The little shop on the side is now part of the bar - when we first came to Sydenham in 1979 it was an off license. In the 80s one of the other large rooms at the back of the bar was the Rub-a-Dub Club, hosting music and comedy nights. Before the depradations of Taylor Walker, the Firkin Brewery, M&B etc the Greyhound had a superb Victorian interior divided into two lengthways with a mahogany bar complete with etched glass; the pub had a saloon, public bar and 'snug' in the tiled room to the side and two magnificent cast-iron greyhounds on the plinths either side of the front door. Looked back on from 2006, the decades of benign neglect now seem almost paradisical compared to the dire state in which the pub languishes today.
nannyjacks

Post by nannyjacks »

I used to do a a paper round from the newsagents behind The Greyhound.It was a nice little shop. I was born opposite above Makepeace's and there was a butchers shop between the shop and bank and then The Gables Old folks home.
Where there is now I think a paint shop used to be another newsagents run by Brian mcCarthy and his wife .He tried to get a youth club up and running in his cellar in the early 1960s but had too much opposition from other shopkeeps who thought it would bring trouble to the little row of shops there.
Cobbs used to have quite a 'posh tea rooms' upstairs once upon a time as well. The Sydenham I knew has long gone now I'm afraid.
I bought two tickets to see The Beatles from the record shop on the corner of Newlands Park Road in the early 1960s they cost me a fiver, which was a weeks wages in those days
I also saw a long haired group who were the support band for a dark haired lass called Dusty Springfield at St Phillip Neri church hall.It cost me half a crown to get in (12 1/2 p.) and they were awful. They were called 'The Rolling Stones' I wonder how they ever got on !!! I certainly never thought they would ever make a living out of singing. Mick Jagger was atrocious
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I seem to recall a shop selling packets of second hand postage stamps adjacent to the Greyhound - or am I mistaken??