Garden centre & bulk topsoil - recommendations please!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
jonathan_har

Garden centre & bulk topsoil - recommendations please!

Post by jonathan_har »

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good and good value garden centre and also somewhere I could get a bulk delivery of topsoil (4 inches over the whole garden).

Many thanks!

Jonathan
ALIB

Re: Garden centre & bulk topsoil - recommendations please!

Post by ALIB »

I don't have a list of bulk suppliers. I know there are a couple around Croydon.

All I will say , is that I'm an Environmental Consultant. All bulk soil deliveries should come with a recent(4 weeks) laboratory certificate that gives the chemical composition of the imported soil, to ensure it is fit for purpose, and devoid of anything nasty.
I would suggest any supplier who cannot provide such a certificate, should be avoided.

There is also a certificate (BS3882), which gives an indication of topsoil quality. This is used for quality planting areas really, and is of little use in ensuring the soil is devoid of impurities.
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

Thank you Ali for the good advice, I hadn't thought to look out for that. Jonathan
poppy

Post by poppy »

Shannons Garden Centre, just of the South Circular near the Railway pub, Forest Hill

The Secret Garden, Crystal Palace might do bulk deliveries or be able to give advice.

P
Annie

Post by Annie »

http://www.phoebes.co.uk/

Phoebes in Catford is a good place to buy from
marymck

Post by marymck »

ALIB wrote:I don't have a list of bulk suppliers. I know there are a couple around Croydon.

All I will say , is that I'm an Environmental Consultant. All bulk soil deliveries should come with a recent(4 weeks) laboratory certificate that gives the chemical composition of the imported soil, to ensure it is fit for purpose, and devoid of anything nasty.
I would suggest any supplier who cannot provide such a certificate, should be avoided.

There is also a certificate (BS3882), which gives an indication of topsoil quality. This is used for quality planting areas really, and is of little use in ensuring the soil is devoid of impurities.
That's really helpful to know. Thanks Alib.

I wish I'd known that when I bought in a load of topsoil that turned out to be largely clay and some interesting weeds! (Can't remember who I bought it from - sorry, twas someone in Yellow Pages.)