CROWS in Crystal Palace Park (a film)

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
paultreacy

CROWS in Crystal Palace Park (a film)

Post by paultreacy »

Hello

Should anyone be interested I made a short film about crows in Crystal Palace Park. I'm fascinated by them. They're clever and funny creatures to my mind though I know many people hate them.

I suggest viewing fullscreen. Thank you.

Carrion Crows of Crystal Palace Park

Paul Treacy
Photographer and Filmmaker.

See also The Wedding Lensman

Thank you.
CaptainCarCrash

Re: CROWS in Crystal Palace Park (a film)

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

I think it would be excellent to make a film about crows. I watched a documentary and they had a section on them a couple of weeks ago and they prooved that crows have excellent memories and remember faces from five years ago.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Watched the film and I have to agree, they know that little dog now.

That first pic on this page is amazing, the crow looks almost like he should reside at Lockheed Martin :)

http://news.discovery.com/animals/angry ... 10628.html
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

I very much enjoyed watching the crow break up the piece of ice with its ice pick beak and gobble it down instead of simply drinking from the puddle like all the other crows.

That shot of the crow looking straight to camera was an interesting experience to make. It watched me closely and was clearly curious as to what I was up to creeping closer and closer to it. But it stayed put I guess knowing all the while that it could simply fly away. But I could see it was thinking from it's intelligent expression and the way it tilted its head like all primates do and clever dogs.

Crystal Palace Crows
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

I walk through the park every morning so see a lot of the wildlife there, including the woodpeckers occasionally (they're good at hiding). The crows enjoy hopping around.

What I have noticed recently is a large number of parakeets - presumably outgrowing Richmond Park and Battersea Park. They're very distinctive in the winter, but they'll hide well in summer given their green colour. They're too noisy to completely hide though! I've just read that they have population growth of around 30% a year in London, so we should all expect a lot more of these birds soon!
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Green, jittery things that make an awful racket. They can be lovely though as they whizz past, often flying quite low.

Crows, on the other hand, have a brooding presence. Not only are they intelligent, but they observe everything.

I've made some adaptations to my equipment in the hope of gathering new, steady material for a better, more effective wee film. I may try to compose a specific soundscape of layered ambient audio recordings to enhance the film.

I'll report back soon.

Paul.