Travelling to Shepperton

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
marymck

Travelling to Shepperton

Post by marymck »

To train or not to train?

I have to be at Shepperton Studios 07.45 ish - weekdays and weekends.

What's the best route from upper Kirkdale?

I can catch a 176 bus to Waterloo and then 06.42 train, which gets me to Shepperton station at 07.33, from where (if there are no delays) I can catch the studio shuttle at 07.40. Phew! Except at weekends - when the shuttle doesn't run.

Also, anything can happen on the 176 route.

Or I can go this way:

Leaving From To Arriving
Train 05:27 Forest Hill [FOH] London Bridge [LBG] 05:41
Train 06:00 London Bridge [LBG] Wimbledon [WIM] 06:31
Train 06:58 Wimbledon [WIM] Shepperton [SHP] 07:33

Or I can go by train from Forest Hill to Crystal Palace (Station of a Thousand and One Steps), where I can change to a train to Clapham Junction from where I can get a train to Shepperton.
(I think ... except that neither the TfL nor National Rail websites will show me this route.)

Or should I just give in and drive (which it looks like I'm going to have to do at the weekend anyway)?

Helllpppp!
dickp

Re: Travelling to Shepperton

Post by dickp »

Surely driving is a no-brainer? The roads should be quiet at that time of morning.
art4

Post by art4 »

Live on the edge Marymck !
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

Marymck
I used to drive from Sydenham to Kingston on Thames every day, leaving home at 6:30 and it took an hour or more and was subject to frustrating hold ups and delays. Shepperton is even further than Kingston.

Now I would use the Overground from Sydenham, change to the Jubilee Line at Canada Water, then four stops to Waterloo, where you can catch your train to Shepperton.

Let the train take the strain - but you drive at the weekend.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely a very long way to Waterloo.

Do trains to Shepperton go through Clapham Junction? If so easier to get there?
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

It does seem a bit of a dog-leg up to Waterloo via Canada Water but it's quick (ish - about 30 mins) and the trains run fairly frequently (about every 10 mins from Sydenham).

Alternatively according to http://www.thetrainline.com there's a 6:51 from Clapham Junction arriving at Shepperton at 7:33 but you have to leave Sydders at 6:17 and change at Crystal Palace to get to Clapham Junction by 6:44.

Plenty of options Marymck :roll:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Bruce

If it were me I would take CJ option
marymck

Post by marymck »

Hello folks

Thanks very much for all your helpful suggestions. Sorry I haven't been able to get on to post my thanks sooner.

I tried the train via Crystal Palace and Clapham Junction, but because of various delays the connections didn't work. I ended up having to get a taxi from Shepperton station to the studios, which was £6.50. (No ordinary buses go past the studios.)

So tomorrow I'm going to try driving. I don't have to be there really early till Saturday - so I might hit the traffic tomorrow, but at least I'll know the worst!

Now I just need to work the route out!
dickp

Post by dickp »

Cp, west dulwich, left to tulse hill, clapham common, wandsworth and down the a3 past kingston works for me. Bit of a blockage arround wandsworth, but otherwise wide roads and free flowing traffic.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
cakefiend

Post by cakefiend »

There are direct trains to Clapham Junction from Forest Hill, it's just they're not that frequent, and yes, aren't always listed as an option on tfl for some reason.
Anyway, let us know the answer! I visited my grandmother's old house and neighbour in Shepperton just last month and it did seem to be a long long way. I got to Kingston and thought 'great, nearly there' and it just seemed to go on forever.. I hope you've found a good route.
All best
D