Sushi of Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leenewham

Re: Sushi of Sydenham

Post by leenewham »

We got a takeaway from Edo, it's very good. But then you have a great choices of places to eat in CP. That's one of the strengths of Sydenham, it's easy to get to the places surrounding that that offer that choice. It would be nicer to have that choice here.

Top tip, advertise with parents groups, NCT, Mumsnet etc. I have never had so many takeaways as I have since becoming a dad.

Hawk, what's unique about Korean Food, I have to admit I"ve never tried it!
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I love sushi and often have it for lunch at work. My husband doesn't like raw fish, so if u had some other choices and perhaps noodle dishes too it would help to get different people through the door.

Near the station would work well as you would get a lot of people walking past which would be free advertising!

Overall Sydenham is crying out for more restaurants & you'd probably get an awful lot of local support.

Good luck!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Kaizensushi

Post by Kaizensushi »

Hi everyone thanks for all of your amazing support. I have just returned from another slog at the restaurant and reading your comments and suggestions is such a boost! Certainly, I aim to meet the ideas and needs of the locals that you have been so willing to share.

For those concerned with the menu, please rest assured that your suggestions will be considered as much as possible when I review that stage. Your tastes are part of my vision and I will not let you down people of Sydenham!

We will be visiting Sydenham this weekend to look at the various potential sites you have kindly put forward.

In the meantime, those curious to know what is in store for my venture (and if you can manage the trek!) are welcome to visit the restaurant Atari-Ya at Hendon Central where I am currently one of the resident senior chefs.

Please feel free to make an advance booking. If you mention my recommendation I will gladly prepare a sample course of sushi or possibly hot food so you can experience the kind of menu I aim to serve.

This is the link to the restaurant. Note: Please accept my apologies for some of the unsatisfied reviews posted. One of the other chefs has issues with communication and this is in no way any reflection of the conduct or attitude I have towards my customers.

http://www.atariya.co.uk/shops/hendon.html
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Location wise I would also say near other restaurants, I think if you go to far away from the station you may risk being to far away from decent footfall, particulary the middle of Dartmouth Road, sorry but I think it might be a bit no persons land. Plus, if I'm honest, I'd rather you were in central Sydenham :D You would get good footfall from the station and I think it's what the main Sydenham Road needs. It will help lift the high street and also be encouraging to other traders, and restaurants.

Anyway, whatever you decide good luck and we hope to see you soon!

G-Man
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Nice web site, would be great if you opened a shop too, my girlfriend is a very good cook, can do great chinese and Vietnamese dishes (thanks to good local(ish) Chinese/Viernamese supermarkets) would love to see a dedicated Japanese one too.

One request for the menu, miso fish, doesn't have to be black cod (as obvioulsy that costs a fortune) but some suitable substitute would be just fine.

Also if you are looking for inspiration one Japanese restraunt I do like is

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl= ... sQnwIoATAA

I love the way they make the sushi in front of you and they have the bbq that just smells fantastic. Used to be great value too but not so much anymore sadly.
benchef

Post by benchef »

Wow, Atari-ya is some of the best Japanese food in the capital. The silkiest, smoothest chawanmushi and the best takoyaki outside of Osaka. We are privileged to have a Senior Chef from such an esteemed establishment open in Sydenham. Who knows? We could become the next foodie destination town. Gotta calm down.....excited...breath, breath. Will you be doing an omakase menu?!
Maria

Post by Maria »

+ 2.

Can't wait, either
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Can't wait either!

Agree with G-man location is key & anywhere on the main high street of cobbs corner to the dolphin you will get more people walking past. Plus your business would benefit from the regeneration which is happening v soon.

dmhawk

Post by dmhawk »

very exciting! Please let us know how you get on this weekend. I've never been to Atari-ya but may go check it out.

Lee, I would definitely recommend you try Korean. It's hard to explain why its so great. But I love the simple and fresh flavours. Delicious bbq meat & spicy kimchi. yumm! Plenty of restaurants in Central London around TCR, soho, etc but none that I;ve found south
maestro

Post by maestro »

I've often heard that Korean cuisine is the mutt's nuts.
penelopeelse

Post by penelopeelse »

Yes please - provided it is the very best quality! I do love Japanese food, and would always have to travel into central London. You have Dulwich next door, of course, for an added and receptive market, so I doubt there would be a shortage of customers.

There is a [not-yet-complete] list of vacant units here, and there will be more when the Greyhound development at Cobbs corner is complete: http://www.sydenhamtowncentre.com/vacant_units/

Pen
robor2b102

Post by robor2b102 »

Hi there, a Japanese / sushi restaurant would be a phenomenal addition to Sydenham, though I would be tempted to keep startup costs s low as possible at first until you can gauge take up. Somewhere on the high st, or forest hill, not Kirkdale. Think about having a retail outlet also (no Asian stores for miles around, could be a draw there). You have to bear in min the demographics in the area though, get those price points rights as there is not the disposable income here that you might have in Ealing. Is there a potential for lunchtime trade mid week in this area? You can't simply rely on Friday and Saturday evenings alone.
That said, I hope you make it work because I shall certainly be a frequent guest!
Good luck,
Rob

G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Kaizensushi wrote: We will be visiting Sydenham this weekend to look at the various potential sites you have kindly put forward.
Hope all is well. I guess I say this on behalf of everyone interested in this post - how did your visit go at the weekend?

Cheers

G-Man
Kaizensushi

Post by Kaizensushi »

Good afternoon all,

The visit went ahead on a very crisp Sunday afternoon. After visiting Kirkdale and along the length of the Sydenham High Road there is certainly some food for thought.

Location-wise I think around the high street situated within view of the Dolphin and Golden Lion seems good for potential set up. However, the number of vacant units which have an A3 listing are few and far between.

We also viewed the premises that were kindly sent via a link on this forum but The Two Half's unit is far too big in size and budget and the other viable unit had its A3 application rejected.

Unperturbed, I will call the council to obtain a more comprehensive list of vacant units. Being within high footfall appears to be key to this area as principally the business will succeed mainly on higher volume turnover as opposed to consumer spending on each visit.

As with all of you, I agree that this area does have great potential to lift it's facade away from the many key cutters, barber shops and newsagents.

Please feel free to comment or make other suggestions. Your continued feedback is warmly received and very helpful. I will reply back soon after I have had further discussions with the council.

Daijoubou! Otsukaresama. (Don't worry, Thank you for working hard)

Kaizen.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Good Luck with your venture but would avoid the area near The Two Halves .
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Eagle wrote:Good Luck with your venture but would avoid the area near The Two Halves .
With various rumours flying round I would say it depends what the Two Half's (got that was hard to type :D ) becomes...

G-Man
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Hey Kaizensushi,

Sorry you weren't able to find what you were lookging for right away, please don't give up just yet, Sydenham would really benefit from a good sushi restraunt!

Baz
Maria

Post by Maria »

Eagle wrote:Good Luck with your venture but would avoid the area near The Two Halves
I live near the two Half's (or Halves, or Halfess' or whatever - and it is a great area! :!:
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

i think the shops near kente would work quite well as a sushi place (near the station, lots of foot fall, not too big etc) or the place next to the purple medals/ trophy shop near the redevelopment of the greyhound..

Good luck!
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

I agree with jonekt, this would be a great location.