KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
benchef

Re: KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Post by benchef »

Dorian wrote:
benchef wrote:I think by posting a picture of a group of entirely black young men you made your point quite, quite clear you daft racist.
So a photo showing a group of youths that follow a certain musical gender from a diversity of ethnic backgrounds would have been accepted as non racist ? :roll:
Yes as you wouldn't be singling out one racial minority as swagger has done. Do you really need that pointing out to you?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
benchef

Post by benchef »

Marie, what I was referring to is the attire these urchins are notorious for, regardless of what colour their skin may be. But seeing as you've assumed that I meant black men, without any visible indicator from myself or any other quarter, doesn't that make you the first, and only, person on this thread to make a prejudiced observation? I didn't refer to any racial make-up of these outlets' clientele, you, however, based your assumption on the ignorant belief that I was referring to black men. I wasn't, I was referring to the sartorial taste associated with RnB musicians and their fans without having to go through the rigmarole of this very sentence: hence the RnB reference, not "black men", which didn't even cross my mind. When someone says or writes corner shop, do you [also] instinctively visualise or refer to those who originate from the asian sub-continent?[/quote]

I think by posting a picture of a group of entirely black young men you made your point quite, quite clear you daft racist.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image[/quote]

I can't see how criticizing 'R n' B types' is racist and throwing that term about on a public forum is pretty appalling. It's not a nice label to throw at anyone, especially as in this case you have absolutely no evidence.

I hate r n' b culture as well. Not black people, but r n b culture. Isn't that all he was saying? Incidently, it is quite difficult to find appropriately diverse images to satisfy the overly senstive. Plug r n' b into google images and you reach page 6 before you find a white face.

Is 'fried chicken' a black thing? If I say I hate fried chicken shops and r n' b does that make me a racist? Absolutely ludicrous reactionary nonsense. Of course it doesn't.[/quote]

Once again I shall point out to some with a less finely tuned moral and ethical compass that YES if you say you hate fried chicken and the shops that it is sold in and post a picture of a group of young entirely black men outside of a chicken shop that is racist. I will call ANYBODY I see being racist, a racist.

Maria

Post by Maria »

Swagger wrote:When someone says or writes corner shop, do you [also] instinctively visualise or refer to those who originate from the asian sub-continent?
Yes, you do, if the statement is highly negative about Corner Shop owners & workers, and comes attached to a picture of a group who all originate from the asian sub-continent.
rod taylor wrote:I can't see how criticizing 'R n' B types' is racist and throwing that term about on a public forum is pretty appalling. It's not a nice label to throw at anyone, especially as in this case you have absolutely no evidence.
Yes, it is pretty appalling isn't it - but more than justified as there is all the evidence you need: the photo of black youths described as aspiring RnB artists and pond life that'll feed and fight there
rshdunlop wrote: by rshdunlop » 30 Apr 2012 21:37
Maria - I think Swagger is looking for a reaction, which is why most of us aren't giving him one.
Yes, I know, I know rsDunlop: but the unacceptable risk is that by not replying to these kinds of unacceptable statements their sources will wrongly believe we are agreeing with them.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Maria

Post by Maria »

Maestro: where do you spring from EXACTLY when we need you???

Please visit more often - your posts are fabulous and fantastically funny!

:lol:
benchef

Post by benchef »

Rod, racism springs from ignorance and those blind to racism are as ignorant as the racists. Get a reality check.
benchef

Post by benchef »

There was a time when only genuine prejudice qualified as racism, now it seems that failing to include a diverse group of young people outside a chicken shop is racist, and therefore, by a huge leap of logic, Grow up.[/quote]

Failing to include a diverse group of young people in a photo when referring to a "RnB type" is racist by implying that ONLY black people listen to RnB.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

benchef wrote:Failing to include a diverse group of young people in a photo when referring to a "RnB type" is racist by implying that ONLY black people listen to RnB.
Utter drivel, if the implication was that only Black people listen to RnB, it would be incorrect, yes, but I fail to understand how it is racist ?

Please explain ?
benchef

Post by benchef »

Number 3

Dorian

Post by Dorian »

rod taylor wrote:I was in Sainsbury's a couple of weeks ago and I would say, without fear of exaggeration that three quarters of shoppers were overweight and over half were clinically obese. It was shocking. I hadn't realised until then the scale of the problem. In fact, it was disgusting, aisles of people in shapeless tracksuits with bellies poking out.
Rod , that may be construed as " Fattist" ? :lol:
Annie

Post by Annie »

Ban all takaways!----except, Chinese--erm and Indian---erm---
:D
Annie

Post by Annie »

Sorry I wasn't actually knocking what you say,in fact I agree with you,But I like chinese and curries :D

I think that outlets like McDs /KFC etc should be taxed to the hilt to pay for cleaning up the mess their customers make,ie cups/boxes etc and also to pay towards the care that their obese customers suffer. (not all are obese i know)

I walked through penge today and saw a little girl of about 11 and she is already very over weight it can't make her feel good,and its not good for her.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

I think I am going to abandon this thread at this point.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Checkmate wrote:I think I am going to abandon this thread at this point.
If it helps with your O.P. here is KFC's target locations http://www.kfcdevelopment.co.uk/where-w ... px#Results

Perhaps Stuart Gall could help you ?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

rod taylor wrote:I don't think anyone knows if KFC are coming to Sydenham. But you do now know that they are unwelcome. So we've at least learnt something...
Rod, whilst agreeing with what you have said on this thread about the pathetic accusations of " racism", I dont think a few people bemoaning KFC ( me included) constitutes them being "unwelcome in Sydenham " ?
Maria

Post by Maria »

The accusations of racism were, far from pathetic, serious, damming, and absolutely correct. Please don't interpret the silence from those who made them as having changed their minds or indeed from the ones who did not join as agreement with you. It's just that they too cannot bear to lower themselves to that level of discourse.

I actually feel rather sorry for the striking, frightning, negativism and anger of a few of the posters. Goodness, so much hatred... are you sure it is not really, really bad for your health? Could you not take on meditation or Tai chi, or knitting or something?

Checkmate: I too will now be leaving this thread, it would have become deadly boring if it wasn't also so incredibly depressing. All the best to you
Annie

Post by Annie »

[quote]And finally, to be clear. I don't associate fried chicken or r n' b with black people. I hate them both for what they are, genetically modified pieces of beak and thigh and gloopy, globalized, commercial sentiment and faux gangster postering. Quite simply, neither have anything to do with the colour of ones skin.[quote]

Well said Rod
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

"I don't associate fried chicken or r n' b with black people"

Just because you dont make the association doesnt mean it isnt so. You really should get out more.

If in fact a KFC does open on this site it will be because a study of the demographic of the catchment area will have been made (not that it was necessary, a ten minute stroll in the area would have been cheaper and given the same results).

I spent a year living practically opposite Bose chicken on Kirkdale, perhaps Rod and some of you others should spend some time up there seeing the kind of people that frequent it, lets see what kind of associations you then make.

Get those blinkers off, and whilst youre at it take off those rose tinted specs !
Annie

Post by Annie »

Great Bustard wrote:"I don't associate fried chicken or r n' b with black people"

Just because you dont make the association doesnt mean it isnt so. You really should get out more.

If in fact a KFC does open on this site it will be because a study of the demographic of the catchment area will have been made (not that it was necessary, a ten minute stroll in the area would have been cheaper and given the same results).

I spent a year living practically opposite Bose chicken on Kirkdale, perhaps Rod and some of you others should spend some time up there seeing the kind of people that frequent it, lets see what kind of associations you then make.

Get those blinkers off, and whilst youre at it take off those rose tinted specs !
Rod was only pointing out that it was not a racist statement when saying that r&b and fried chicken is eaten by all races.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Thou doth protesteth too much.

I think in this instance I agree with Maria, there is a fine line which is easily crossed so you need to be considered whilest composing a post that has elements of mild racism and sterotyping.
Should you be posting such drivel/inflamatory rubbish in the first place?
it's a subject that I am very wary of for obvious reasons, you can't be too careful but to my mind the r&b comment could be interpreted at least as sterotyping which is a bit risky IMVHO so best avoided.

PS:Watch out, watch out , there's a wolf about :twisted: