KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sfhyouthforum

Re: KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Post by sfhyouthforum »

And I ensure that the young people I work with do not use robust language in front of me. For example my twenty-strong drama group at Forest Hill Boys were not allowed to say 'shut up man!' to each other. Instead they were asked to say: 'could you possibily be quiet' and actually after a few weeks they began saying 'could you possibly be quiet?' first time around.

It's all about reenforcing good habits. Like if I eat healthily and exercise everyday, the fat ring around my gut would shift; I know my inaction keeps me tubby. Well same goes for looking at a corner shop and thinking Asian. But you seem to be happy with the weight. You also think I am patronising you because you know I am speaking sense. Like my mother told me growing up when I'd bug her about smoking: 'You're being self righteous!' I'd look at her and reply, 'I'm not self-righteous; you're just wrong.' :D :wink:
I am sure you hear much robust language talking to the boy outside the chip shop. Is there any reason you shouldn't hear it here?
I'm no saint either so I kick myself up the arse if I think I'm being lazy-minded or judgemental and I certainly wouldn't exercise thoughts I know, deep down, are harmful.
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

I only do 8 hours per week and today had Sydenham Radio training and then meetings with the Chair and admin to catch up on, so please forgive me for not getting back to you when you wrote yesterday. I'm not sure what your time table is like but I can meet you during the day?
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

Here's a link to our Standing Order Form: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6raMU ... 3g3LUlKcW8

Give what you can, if you can, and I promise your hard-earned cash will be put to good work!
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

sfhyouthforum wrote:Here's a link to our Standing Order Form: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6raMU ... 3g3LUlKcW8

Give what you can, if you can, and I promise your hard-earned cash will be put to good work!
Good luck with it. I am afraid your manner on the forum has alienated me from getting involved (I am also involved elsewhere in terms of harm reduction within society) but I can see that it galvanises some - which can't be a bad thing. I shall follow developments with interest.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

@sfyyouthforum

--------------
Deleted by Admin
Edit: Discussion on this moderation moved to Town Asylum
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

I think Rod that the freecycle of skills thing is an amazing idea and something that has been talked about in the past. One thing that a resident on Hazel Grove wants to do is get people's old stuff (but not run down) and offer it to less well off people. The skills thing is even better. I've looked into this while at uni - LETS or local exchange trading system, where no money is used but instead people buy and sell skills. It also means that people on benefits do not infringe them by earning things (though not all local authorities are agreed here). It takes a bit of work but with some good people, it would work.

There are also child protection issues or exchanging skills with peple under 18, but that can be properly 'risk assessed'.

Also Admin, I would love a forum on our own website - is it really that easy?
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

Voyageur - I feel like there would be nothing I could say to some people to make them turned on about contributing to the community with either time or money. This isn't my usual marketing approach - to get upset by people 'stereotyping' youth. Though if you want to help canvass, or do some marketing, I would be very grateful.

I just feel like we get angry, we get rude, we talk ill of people and stigmatise them and then somehow think it is okay to believe the problems we face are due to others and refuse to get actively involved. And actually I am not trying to galvanise at all. I think the people who have strong views here are best placed to go and mentor. It is the responsibility of all of us to do something to help those less fortunate. I'm not here to tell you who those less fortunate folk are; I can only offer one charity - The Forum because it is a collective of many organisations working together to improve the lives of others. Though it could also be a child from a nearby shelter, or fostering. It could be working with the elderly in a care home reading to one or two who are not mobile. It could be anything.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Returning to Checkmate's original post, the Due Dilligence must be done for all business propositions. Whether this is a small public survey, or a review of legislation, business history and services, it is a 'must' for any proposed business.
My own personal thoughts is that i am tired of all these chicken/take-away shopsin my locale. Chicken shops in particular , because they seem so dominant (although that could be just good signage designed by someone like Lee Newham)

Thatcher was the great advocate of letting market-forces decide on success, or failure. The simple fact is, if there wasn't the demand, these shops wouldn't open.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have looked carefully and cannot see ant mention of KFC in the last many blogs. Weird.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Dorian wrote:
Checkmate wrote:I think I am going to abandon this thread at this point.
If it helps with your O.P. here is KFC's target locations http://www.kfcdevelopment.co.uk/where-w ... px#Results

Perhaps Stuart Gall could help you ?
Did the O.P. call or any one else ? Doubt it
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks AliB (cheques in the post).

I had a meeting where a conservative councillor spoke. She said he was in favour of free markets and letting any business set up in an area (in reply to a hairdresser who was annoyed that there were 10 in a small parade near him and it has seriously affected his business).

The Hairdresser was right and the Conservative Councillor was wrong. There needs to be regulation.

High streets are struggling. Shopping malls are doing well. Markets are doing well. Some places like Regents street and Oxford street are doing well. The only one out of those which isn't regulated, that doesn't control the types of businesses that open there are general high streets. Supermarkets are doing well, they control what they sell. It's common sense.

This is an odd thread, but with KFC, it may mean that the number of chicken places in the high street reduce as a result. Which may be a good thing. A lot is made of the high street & to a lesser extent Kirkdale in Sydenham being full of independent businesses, but the most visible are all chains or franchises. Morleys, Superdrug, Snappysnaps, Gymophobics, Hunters, Mann, Natwest, Lloyds, Co-opertaive, Tesco, Sainsbury's (soon), Scope, RSPCA, Costcutter, Boots, Santander, Pedder etc etc etc. I love and use some of the shops in Sydenham, but I don't see KFC in BG as being a problem. The (rather ugly developments in Bell Green) were always going to be about big brands.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

The two can harmonize, IF Lee is listened too and the inependents take note.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

A Conservative Councillor is refered to. Surely the area round the Sava Center does not have a Tory Councillor. Hardly upmarket.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

This was in another area in London Eagle miles away from here. The reason I stated his political affiliation was that he said he was a conservative and therefore believed in free markets etc etc etc which is blind faith in belief to be applied in every instance, even when that instance is wrong.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

leenewham wrote:
This is an odd thread.
Lee - I hope you have Master of Understatement listed on your CV.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes I do, it's right at the top under "Further Education".
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lee

Your Conservative Councillor seems to have changed sex from one post to next.

Very unlike a Conservative. Are you sure not Lib Dem or Labour.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Melissa,

In the Daily Mail there is a competition to "clean up your area" there is a £25.000 prize,just a thought but the local youth could mabe be involved in this,not only would it give your funds a boost so they can get more equipment or whatever is needed,but it would show people that they do care about their surroundings,and maybe show others that they are willing to communicate with the "older" generation.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

leenewham wrote:This was in another area in London Eagle miles away from here. The reason I stated his political affiliation was that he said he was a conservative and therefore believed in free markets etc etc etc which is blind faith in belief to be applied in every instance, even when that instance is wrong.
Lee, I would be interested to know how " temporary" a temporary sign is? The CO OP is sure taking a time to put its permanent sign up!

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham wrote:There needs to be regulation.

High streets are struggling. Shopping malls are doing well. Markets are doing well. Some places like Regents street and Oxford street are doing well. The only one out of those which isn't regulated, that doesn't control the types of businesses that open there are general high streets. Supermarkets are doing well, they control what they sell. It's common sense.
Agreed - so how is regulation working when it does, as in the cases you cite, and are there cases where regulation doesn't work? It's not exactly true that there is no regulation of the retail mix in High Streets such as Sydenham Road - there is, the current system of A1, A2 etc. planning use classes. But we want more. I'm not sure how things are controlled in Oxford Street and Regent Street - is there are dominant private sector landlord, or does Westminster City Council somehow have greater powers than Lewisham? In supermarkets, control is emphatically in the hands of the owners.

For this sort of discussion to be at all realistic, there has to be some effective coordination of the letting policies of Sydenham Road commercial landlords. This would require one landlord, or a small enough group to be able to act cohesively, owning enough properties in a block in the better part of Sydenham Road - e.g. near the station where the footfall is best - and planning a mix of tenant types which will maximise their long term returns.
Last edited by Tim Lund on 13 May 2012 16:17, edited 1 time in total.