KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ALIB

Re: KFC in Savacentre grounds?

Post by ALIB »

I understood a food outlet was part of the Planning Permission sought for the site. Obviously the economic downturn delayed the (whole) project and the owners of the site are still looking to attract businesses.
I think a drive-through was considered an option also, but have no idea what the final outcome will be. Obviously McDonalds, KFC et al, will be gauging public opinion to see if the Savacentre option is a "goer".
Do you want fries with that ?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Checkmate wrote:- the clientele mainly consists of parents, with or without children, buying dinner for their families.
Nice nutritional meal for the kids, deep fried modified chicken !
Robin Orton wrote:I must say I didn't particularly notice the 'masks' (scarves?) - aren't they usually just a fashion thing?
No , more a "gangsta", gang thing normally associated with wearing of trousers half way down ones arse too.
Checkmate wrote:Muslim women can get away with it.
Yes on spurious religous grounds, the Koran says nothing about covering ladies faces, but they dont wear it to try and intimidate.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Dorian wrote:No , more a "gangsta", gang thing normally associated with wearing of trousers half way down ones arse too.
I think that's what I meant by a fashion thing - 'gangsta' fashion, perhaps.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Dorian wrote:
Checkmate wrote:- the clientele mainly consists of parents, with or without children, buying dinner for their families.
Nice nutritional meal for the kids, deep fried modified chicken !
Robin Orton wrote:I must say I didn't particularly notice the 'masks' (scarves?) - aren't they usually just a fashion thing?
No , more a "gangsta", gang thing normally associated with wearing of trousers half way down ones arse too.
Checkmate wrote:Muslim women can get away with it.
Yes on spurious religous grounds, the Koran says nothing about covering ladies faces, but they dont wear it to try and intimidate.
Not on religious grounds at all. Where do you get this info from? It is cultural...
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Manwithaview1 wrote:Not on religious grounds at all. Where do you get this info from? It is cultural...
The ban in France is refered to by Muslims as " religious intolerance"......

Gone off topic now,so back to KFC
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Dorian wrote:
Manwithaview1 wrote:Not on religious grounds at all. Where do you get this info from? It is cultural...
The ban in France is refered to by Muslims as " religious intolerance"......

Gone off topic now,so back to KFC
That doesn't mean it is not cultural

http://www.third-culture-intelligence.c ... slim-veil/

There are many cultural practices which are greatly mistaken for religious practices. The one which has caused the most controversy recently here in the West is the Niqab, Burqa – the ‘Muslim Veil’.

One of the main identifying factors of some Muslim women around the world is their dress code. Many wear head coverings, ranging from the hijab (head scarf) to the burka/abaya (full head to toe covering with only the eyes showing) and the niqab (head to toe covering including a veil to cover the eyes, gloves and black socks). The article continues...
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Dorian wrote:Nice nutritional meal for the kids, deep fried modified chicken !
Yeah, of course if you are taking your kids down KFC (or McD's or any other fast food outlet) on a daily basis, there is an issue, but why can't the occasional KFC be part of a balanced diet?

And the only "modified" chicken they serve would be popcorn chicken, I believe. The burgers contain chicken breasts, the mini fillets are, as the name suggests, fillets of chicken breast, hot wings are...wings, and the main menu component is of course various pieces of chicken deep fried on the bone.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Sorry, back off topic again...
I heard recently that the trousers worn low comes from American prisons that means the wearer is up for some "back door action"...always makes me chuckle when I see some scrote swaggering down the street with his pants on show :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

Willy wrote:Sorry, back off topic again...
I heard recently that the trousers worn low comes from American prisons that means the wearer is up for some "back door action"...always makes me chuckle when I see some scrote swaggering down the street with his pants on show :D[/q

I thought it was because the prisoners had to wear the clothes they were given,even if too big,therefore they are wearing them like that to show sympathy with their plight.Maybe i heard wrong.
it could well be the version you give.Willy seems a suitable name for your version! :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Willy wrote: scrote swaggering down the street with his pants on show :D
That's a mixed metaphor if ever I read one. If the scrote has pants on, we can't see the scrote...
benchef

Post by benchef »

Swagger wrote:
Robin Orton wrote:
Swagger wrote:[...] aspiring RnB types with a chip on their shoulder [...]
What's a 'RnB type' please?

Take your pick:

Apparently "swagger" means massive racist on the streets nowadays.
benchef

Post by benchef »

benchef

Post by benchef »

benchef

Post by benchef »

Mazzer

Post by Mazzer »

Swagger, do you mean, by ’R’n’B types’, creative musicians? In which case surely attracting more artists to Sydenham is exactly what we want?! Or, as I seriously suspect, by R’n’B types do you mean young black men? If you do mean the latter, I am shocked and appalled and actually pretty upset at these racist comments. I don’t think these sorts of comments have any place on a public forum.

Marie
Maria

Post by Maria »

Yes, I agree with you Robin: they look absolutely like normal kids to me too!

In fact, it is making me longing to go and visit the schools and colleges where I worked till rather recently - they were just like those in the picture, and the scarves, low cut trousers, and hoods were quite definite fashion statements. And do you know, they were some of the kindest people I've met.

I am really hoping we will be able to hear from more people who also abhorr this kind of stereotypical and racist remarks; we know there are people who think this way, but I would love to think we don't listen and give a platform to them in this Forum.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Maria - I think Swagger is looking for a reaction, which is why most of us aren't giving him one.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
benchef

Post by benchef »

Swagger wrote:
Mazzer wrote:Swagger, do you mean, by ’R’n’B types’, creative musicians? In which case surely attracting more artists to Sydenham is exactly what we want?! Or, as I seriously suspect, by R’n’B types do you mean young black men? If you do mean the latter, I am shocked and appalled and actually pretty upset at these racist comments. I don’t think these sorts of comments have any place on a public forum.

Marie
Marie, what I was referring to is the attire these urchins are notorious for, regardless of what colour their skin may be. But seeing as you've assumed that I meant black men, without any visible indicator from myself or any other quarter, doesn't that make you the first, and only, person on this thread to make a prejudiced observation? I didn't refer to any racial make-up of these outlets' clientele, you, however, based your assumption on the ignorant belief that I was referring to black men. I wasn't, I was referring to the sartorial taste associated with RnB musicians and their fans without having to go through the rigmarole of this very sentence: hence the RnB reference, not "black men", which didn't even cross my mind. When someone says or writes corner shop, do you [also] instinctively visualise or refer to those who originate from the asian sub-continent?
I think by posting a picture of a group of entirely black young men you made your point quite, quite clear you daft racist.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Thank you, AliB, for being the only person thus far to actually comment on what my OP was about :D :D
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

benchef wrote:I think by posting a picture of a group of entirely black young men you made your point quite, quite clear you daft racist.
So a photo showing a group of youths that follow a certain musical gender from a diversity of ethnic backgrounds would have been accepted as non racist ? :roll: