Sticky music thread

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

Moderator: frenzarin

alburt.c

Re: Sticky music thread

Post by alburt.c » 13 Apr 2016 15:52

Manwithaview1 wrote:
always the sun. plenty sun today also. nice warm :D

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 17 Apr 2016 19:05

Caught this again the other day - hadn't heard it for twenty years - and it's been haunting my head and humming ever since. Layne Staley's addictions got the better of him a few years later, and if this song is a warning, it is a classy one; so beautifully sad that even Mike McCready's guitar, rather overblown with Pearl Jam, seems to whisper. 'My pain... is self-chosen,' Staley says later in the album, perhaps an acknowledgement that the search for truth can come at a price.

alburt.c

Post by alburt.c » 22 Apr 2016 18:09

rip Prince

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 17 Jun 2016 09:37

I love the way her voice on the opening syllable sounds like Miles Davis; acid, booze and ass / needles, guns and grass...lots of laughs, she sings, pausing before repeating the last words; composing as she goes a foggy lullaby - her voice at the end soars at the realisation.

If Joni Mitchell were a man she wouldn't get half the abuse she does (online threats of a punch in the face) - I know artists are more than the sum of their parts, but she's a better singer than Dylan, a better poet and a better musician; try out River and A Case of You from the same album. They say that men don't fall in love with women with bright inner lives; well I do.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 5 Jul 2016 10:10

What he does to the last note of this is just heartbreaking. The first note of Joni Mitchell's Blue seems to pick up where this one leaves off - it never entered my mind to post them the other way around.

My mother had three Miles Davis LPs but she didn't want me touching them so she put them onto a tape. They were Workin', which had a picture of Miles posing in front of a steamroller; a collaboration with Milt Jackson, which sounded like Miles being attacked by a glockenspiel; and the soundtrack to the film Ascenseur pour l'échafaud with a picture of Jeanne Moreau on the front. I can purse my lips and give a rendition of the main theme note-perfect.

Opposite the front of our house was a low wall on top of which was a wrought iron railing. The wall stretched for about 50 metres and was lit at night by the kind of street lights they only have in conservation areas now that cast deep shadows on the wall. I used to sit at the upstairs window like a cat and watch people make their way across my film noir movie set with Miles playing in the background. I wish I had known boys at school who liked Miles Davis.

When I started working I decided I wanted to spend £100 on Miles Davis cds. I went into Ray's Jazz Shop on Shaftsbury Avenue and Ray spent half an hour explaining the different periods of Miles' recording career: EMI, Columbia, Prestige etc.

My first wife bought me a vinyl copy of Sketches of Spain. On one of the occasions she decided to leave, before we were married, she wrote her goodbye letter on the sleeve of the album; neatly explaining her reasons around the typeface of the liner notes.

I first heard In a Silent Way in my uncle's penthouse flat in Amsterdam. I'd sit at the window like a cat and watch the boats work their way up the Herengracht. By this point in Miles' career everything sounded dark and intense.

I lived in Australia for a bit. I had a friend who was a DJ so she had this amazing sound system. We'd smoke dope and listen to Miles. There is so much more to hear in the music under particular conditions - you can listen to certain colours; the sound of his breathing; hear what his sweat tasted like.

I never really got Bitches Brew - perhaps it was John Mclaughlin's fusion - for a long time I thought it was unlistenable. The other day I put it on and closed my eyes. It's brilliant.

If you've got spotify you've got pretty much everything he ever recorded. You could play it end to end and it might take a week.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 11 Oct 2016 21:40

Mike Patton's journey from funk-metal to abstract expressionism has been fun to watch. Today, working with John Zorn and influenced by Bugs Bunny and glossolalia we meet perhaps, the persona behind Angel Dust's RV twenty years down the line. The musical dexterity of the soliloquy is breathtaking, and for me, at least, profoundly moving. I also recommend Mondo Cane, Patton's collection of Italian Easy Listening tunes - his version of L'urlo negro is incredible.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton » 15 Oct 2016 08:13

I agree, a sublime example of the spiritual heights which our culture has finally reached. But I wonder whether his mother was there in the audience, and, if so, why she didn't tell him to pull his trousers up a bit?

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 4 Nov 2016 12:27

...or as it's called in my tipi Zadok the Witch Doctor. Knocks your sombrero off this thrilling bit of cultural appropriation and the dude on the cover is sucking one of his own bones.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 4 Nov 2016 12:51

Ich mochte de Autumn Leaves aber this is as gut. Lotte Lenya ist singing like she is auf ein schwanz saugen. See also Gainsbourg/Manon sing them songs of adoration for bad people. Meine katze is called McHeath.

If Sydenham's pocket parks are not custom made for an organ grinder and a monkey I'm not sure why we have teenagers selling TalkTalk contracts.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 4 Nov 2016 13:16

Jazz inflections and polyrhythms, yet you won't find this little guy on Later being accompanied by Jools on Boogie Woogie piano before another awkward interview. The lyrics, for those of you who require translation, address the destruction of the Woodpecker's natural habitat. I've got a piano sonata played by a moose I'll upload in a bit. Robin will love it.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 20 Nov 2016 20:08

I know these videos aren't exactly clickbait, so a treat - Diamanda Galás in skin-tight leather trousers. Introduced by a young and very nervous looking Jon Stewart, Diamanda employs several languages and several more octaves - I saw her at the Queen Elizabeth Hall about a decade ago and she came across like a Callas of the Damned.

And another treat. Seeing as it's a Sunday, not one, but two litanies of Satan. One female the other male - I'll let you decide which does it for you, and which is ultimately more succesful.

The first is Diamanda Galás again:

and the second an extended and recorded version of the first of John Zorn's Six Litanies For Heliogabalus with Mike Patton (you'll have to find the other five yourself)

I read an interview with La Galás in which she said that she feels ill 'physically and mentally' when she hears Christmas Carols - I'm sure she's not alone - so it is worth remembering that if you're tempted to spread some Christmas cheer. I had a drink with a friend last night who was part of a small choir asked to sing carols by some store on Kensington High Street - he said it was pretty much 30 minutes of people heckling them with "too soon" - like they'd told some sick joke, before the manager walked up to them and asked if they had any jazz standards instead.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 25 Nov 2016 18:27

I suppose there is an endless debate to be had on whether biography crucially informs art. Does recent biography give us any more information than just listening to the sound of Nick Cave's voice on Girl in Amber? - maybe it is not the meaning of words that matter but their sound. Well if that is so this is the most musical thing I have heard all year.

Maria

Post by Maria » 27 Nov 2016 23:42

.....and the most haunting, for me.
An almost hypnotic lament - I have heard it three times already. Wonderful

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 30 Nov 2016 21:18

You'll have to excuse this remix with Attenborough rapping over the top, but the Lyre Bird not only has the most amazing voice in the feathered kingdom, but his handling of his subject matter is sublime - the suite of sounds towards the end says more about environmental catastrophe than any number of Sting's concept albums. He also has a sweeter vibrato than Anna Netrebko.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 30 Nov 2016 21:48

...but it's a close run thing.

I heard her do this several times at the ROH - and it was more impressive than on youtube - I remember sitting there thinking her voice sounded unearthly, and then there was a thought that we must all be capable of these miracles - I mean that's what it sounded like, like she was drawing on something deep within her and surfing on it - it was that physical, entirely sensual...and now I realise that all these sounds; Mike Patton, Diamanda Galas, Nick Cave's dead son, the Lyre Bird - or an Italian where the words have been curved and newly shaped, is what gets me at the moment - an end to words - they get in the way. Only sound without words can truly express anything meaningful.

devakithomas

Post by devakithomas » 4 Dec 2016 21:24

Heya Folks....its been awhile since we posted here....for anyone interested in Live Music in Sydenham....we've been traveling and planning and only now getting back to our Music Nights in Syd after our last one in July for the SA fest......we've been brainstorming ways to make the nights more music focused so we've come up with a new strategy...our last event for 2016 will also be a bit of a Christmas Party.....

What: Last Music Night in Sydenham for 2016!
When: Saturday 17 December, 7.30pm
Where: Sydenham's fave Bistro On the Hoof (23 Sydenham Rd, London SE26 5EX) http://www.onthehoofbistro.com/
Who: Featuring the music of Kerry Devine, Nathan Dusty Miller & ThomasThomas
Why: to celebrate good music, good food, good people
How: Call Ela to book a table 020 8659 7333

NEW FORMULA: £15 for Dinner (2 course set menu) https://www.facebook.com/events/334435703577308/

Kerry Devine - Soul Folk Songstress from Peterborough - https://www.facebook.com/kerrydevinemusic/
Nathan Dusty Miller - Blues Slide Singer/Songwriter from London - https://www.facebook.com/dustymill56/
ThomasThomas - World Groove Folk Pop duo from SE London via Western Canada - https://www.facebook.com/ThomasThomasBand/

Hope to see you there....we are very excited by the quality of the music coming!

Bless
Thomas & Devaki Thomas
Devi Productions/Music Nights in Sydenham
https://www.facebook.com/MusicNightsinSydehnham/

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 10 Dec 2016 10:22

A lament.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 10 Dec 2016 10:32

Ignore her Ikea catalogue lifestyle - she is part of the social media generation - but Jonna Jinton has a more interesting method of communication. I was thinking the other day as to why we don't sing to each other rather than speak. Singing is infinitely more communicative, expressive, and certainly, in the case of these cows, more effective.

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund » 24 Dec 2016 17:12

This was playing as I had my hair cut yesterday,

which set me wondering who had originally recorded it, and then about other songs from way back with comparable feminist messages. So here's a tentative playlist, which I hope others will enjoy, and maybe even extend.

This was an answer song to "Wild Side of Life" - which is why it has exactly the same tune and chords - but it was also the first female solo country #1

Not sure if this quite counts as feminist, since the starting point is her being very accepting of the man she's singing to, but she's making a stand for her rights too, which I find very moving

This one is feminist simply on the strength of being sung by a woman - it was originally written for a man to sing, which makes it a far more conventional song of the era

I guess this isn't obviously feminist, but the appeal to the man she's singing to to develop some emotional intelligence feels so to me.

And finally, the obvious, but none the worse for that

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 27 Dec 2016 18:44