New Business in the area

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Annie.

Re: New Business in the area

Post by Annie. »

Yep i had syrup too,but sugar was my fav.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Monty Python's Flying Circus -
"Four Yorkshiremen"

[ from the album Live At Drury Lane, 1974 ]

The Players:
Michael Palin - First Yorkshireman;
Graham Chapman - Second Yorkshireman;
Terry Jones - Third Yorkshireman;
Eric Idle - Fourth Yorkshireman;
The Scene:
Four well-dressed men are sitting together at a vacation resort.
'Farewell to Thee' is played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You're right there, Obadiah.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
A cup o' cold tea.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Without milk or sugar.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Or tea.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In a cracked cup, an' all.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was right.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
ALL:
They won't!

:lol:
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

:0)) Obviously you don,t remember those days Mike, but you have a good sense of humour i,ll give you that.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

To be clear, I grew up in the late 1970s eating Golden Syrup sandwiches, I'm not one of the 'When I was young...' brigade. Yet. Given me another 10 years. And if the Tories carry on with this austerity policy, there will be people in 40 years times reminiscing how they lived on sugar sandwiches in the twenty-tens.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Its nothing to do with "when i was young "brigade Lee started off about spam,Eagle then mentioned Spam then the thread went onto other food we enjoyed.nought wrong with that?

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No, Annie, nothing wrong with that. I referring to Mike's Monty Python sketch, which I suppose was in response to the conversation about dripping and sugar sandwiches. Just pointing out that you don't have to be that old to remember a time when eating like that was quite common, if you didn't have much money.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree Annie. Why do not mother's make cottage pie or shepperd's pie for their children with lashings of gravy.

And Suet puddings , mothers seem to have lost the knack.

I cannot understand supermarkets have aisles for children's food. For God's sake they are mini adults and should eat the same .
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Now I really was born into rural poverty

that's the water supply my Mum had to cope with when I was a baby.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Seems like you had a car though Tim in the family.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

A car? A car? Whats that when its at home? ;0)))))
CaptainCarCrash

Annie. wrote::0)) Obviously you don,t remember those days Mike
Oh I do remember those days, I grew up in the 70's, power cuts, three day weeks, mountains of rubbish on every street, cardboard for breakfast, lard sandwiches for tea.

Then Thatcher got in and ruined it all.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Ahhh good ole days ;0))

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Me too Mike.

But there was nothing worse than flairs in the 1970's. Many of my clothes were made for me and I hated flairs. I liked the 1960's look (I was a huge Bond fan), infact I still do.

Actually, some parts of the 1970's were still good. Six Million Dollar man, Evil Kenevil, Petrol was under 99p per Gallon, for a while I had milk at school, we knew all our neighbours, angel delight, BIstros (what happened to Bistros?), and pub lunches wehre they would cut slices of steak pie out of a tray made with suet crusts and chips were brown instead of yellow.

But you are right, then Thatcher went and screwed it up.

P.S. What happened to meat with tubes in it? I went to Vienna a few years ago and in a supposedly good restaurant they served it.
CaptainCarCrash

Meat with tubes in it? I feel like I'm going to pass out, sounds rotten :shock:

I love 70's music, it was a golden age for Rock :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I am puzzled what you mean.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

you probably had Saure Lunge, its sour lung which I love, the tubes are naturally in the lung and heart Great dish if you like that sort of thing. very dark and a bit like liver just with tubes