Microsoft problems or Scam

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
pip

Microsoft problems or Scam

Post by pip »

Hi Everyone,
Over about the last six weeks when trying to enter certain sites on the internet ie BBC Sport
I get a Microsoft message box appear Saying internet explorer has encountered a problem and will need to close. It then gives me an option to either Debug or send Message era report or not.
After choosing to send message era report a couple of times over the last six weeks I suddenly received a call on my home phone last night about 8.00pm claiming to be from Microsoft.
The caller said it was regarding the problems I had been having and that the problems with my computer were creating a problem for their servers. The caller offered to talk me through the
process of sorting out this problem. I told them to call back next day as I was on my way out.
I said call back during the day to which they replied that they were too busy during the day but they would call back this evening.
My Question is:
Has anyone here ever been contacted by phone by microsoft?
Anyone here had similar problems?
Is this normal Microsoft behavior?

Or is this just an elaborate Fishing SCAM?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers Pip.
michael

Re: Microsoft problems or Scam

Post by michael »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/ma ... rity-calls
As the article suggests, put the phone down.

Another useful site:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... c78b93f287
Microsoft will never , repeat, NEVER , cold call people who use Windows. NEVER !!!
pip

Post by pip »

Many thanks Micheal, Just as I thought. I hope this information serves as a warning to other users.
Thanks again .
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They keep calling me, I like to keep then on the phone as Kong as possible before rudely hanging up. They are scum.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Edale Close
Location: 250 miles distant - Half way up on the left - too far from home

Post by Edale Close »

Hah! the scammers claiming to be from "Your ISP calling about a virus in your microsoft computer" called a friend of mine a month or so back and caused some stress to her- although she had the sense not to take any notice of them... then a few weeks later... they called here and spoke to my partner. :roll:

Ignoring the clue that Internet explorer was not installed on his machine (its a macbook pro) they spent 20 mins trying to get him to install Team viewer while failing to understand he already uses it (as we both do to remote admin family and friends - saves a lot of fuel ) but wouldn't give him their Team Viewer ID to connect. The kept requesting his password string from Team Viewer and he gave them a string which if entered in clear would have told them he was jerking their chain... :lol:

Finally after about 20 mins they seemed to twig that he was giving them the run around, became rather Irate and made a few angry comments about wasting thier time before hanging up on him :mrgreen:

We feel we won a small victory for computer users.. and while he was tied up trying to scam us he was not getting to someone who might have believed his spiel.