Green Chilli - Delicious

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Essa

Green Chilli - Delicious

Post by Essa »

Hi all,

Just wanted to know your opinions on this takeaway I just ordered from this weekend, Its called GREEN CHILLI serving Indian takeaway based on Sydenham road.

The food was GREAT, special the chef speciality. It really left my taste buds wanting more, also I would really appreciate if you guys could direct me to other great places to eat from, I am new to the area.

Cheers
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

Hello mate,
If you like Indian food you have got to try Babur restaurant in Honor Oak and also Indigo restaurant in rosendale road, I would put money on them being a couple of the best local Indian restaurants you will ever go to if you like contemporary Indian cuisine. Hope you enjoy them.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D Sydenham high street..... The Gurkha's..............Best Indian Restaurant around!! :D
Essa

Post by Essa »

Thanks for the posts, i will surely try Barbur. Regarding Gurkha's I looked at their menu, its not really indian, its nepaleese food, that's why i ordered from Green Chilli instead.

Thanks again
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

Apologies Annie, I completely forgot about Gurkhas, went there a couple of weeks ago and the food was fantastic although I personally thought the menu was fairly Indian but im no expert.
randomv

Post by randomv »

Does anyone know if the Gurkha is in anyway related to the Gurkha Cottage in Crystal Palace? Thought I read somewhere that it was. Have been to the Cottage a few times and it's always been marvellous.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Have to say you can't go wrong with Ghurkas .. excellent food .. friendly and quick takeaways if that's what your after.

That Golden City is always good as well. We could do with a Pizza Express or some up-market type pizza place - mind you there is that pizza place down the road isn't there? Opposite Mayow Road entrance I think. I haven't been there - what's it called? Looks quite nice.

SB
Kelstar

Post by Kelstar »

One of the best restaurants I've been to for a while round here is Kafe La on Perry Vale. I know it's more Forest Hill than Sydenham but is fantastic!

From the outside it looks like a take away (they do do take away and delivery too) but the food is great (Bangladeshi cuisine), service impeccable and it's a lovely place to dine - modern and crisp white tablecloths.
Highly recommended!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Green Chilli is what previously was called Sydenham Tandoori?

Is it under new managment or have they just given it a facelift?
I'll stick to Gurkha's in the main but it does sound as if it has new owners as the previous ones served up some pretty poor fare, so if you enjoyed it then it must be a different bunch. Maybe worth a whirl?
simon

Post by simon »

It was called Tandoori Delight Greg. It started off ok but got pretty poor. Its under new ownership and a couple of young lads appear to be really giving it a go. I had a meal from there the other day after reading this thread and jolly good it was too. I used to like Gurkhas but the last takeway I had was prety poor; nothing wrong with the cooking but the ingredients were pretty poor, my chicken could well have been roadkill.
Janeco

Local restaurants

Post by Janeco »

Agree that Gurkha's is very good and of course Babur's. Kafe La in Perry Vale is also very good - excellent and friendly service and reasonable prices. Also highly recommend Yune on Dartmouth Road. Only been open a few months but is a cut above the other local Chinese. Both eating in and takeaway are highly recommended (super fast delivery and the standard of food is high).
leaf

Post by leaf »

Seeing as we are going out of sydenham,i love Eliachi on stanstead rd[on the corner opposite sunderland rd],excellent food,ive never been in the restaurant,only deliverys,but great all the same.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Yes Leaf, totally agree - we are regulars too. Have you tried Bengal Barburche? They are just a bit further up (opposite where the old Barclays Bank used to be), can't think for love or money, the name of the bloody road! Anyway, they are on the same par as Elachi.

PS Does anyone know the name of the road I am talking about? It's driving me mad! :evil:
leaf

Post by leaf »

sarahc

do you mean further up away from forest hill or further up towards forest hill?

I have been to dewanium and that was always a good place to eat and take away too.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

sarahc wrote:PS Does anyone know the name of the road I am talking about? It's driving me mad! :evil:
I think the place you are referring to is on the corner of Brockley Rise. Glad to hear it's good, as we were thinking of going there.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Yes Steve, it is Brockley Rise (I checked the A to Z to be sure!). It is very, very good. We've never eaten in the restaurant, only had takeaways. We get a bottle of their house wine with most orders (and it's a very nice wine) - whether this is because we order sooo much or because we are such regulars, I don't know. Do give them a try. :)
Essa

Post by Essa »

Hi all,

Thanks for all your recommendations and reviews; I also have some news for us forum users.

I went in Green Chilli this weekend and ordered myself another takeaway, while waiting I got chatting and spoke about the forum and the reviews. They said that some customers had recently ordered from them after reading about it on the forum.

I sensed an opportunity and my sales skills kicked in :lol: . I negotiated a deal with Green Chilli that if any customer orders and mentions Sydenham Forum they will receive an extra 5% discount. Which means if u order over £15 and collect u get a whopping 15% discount, on deliveries its only 5% discount.

OK u probably thinking what’s in it for me :wink: Here goes for every customer who orders I get an extra 2% off, so if 5 people order using Forum as the password I get an extra 10% off. So please if u so use this offer do drop a line so I can also keep a track of my discount value aswell.

Anyway tonight is the opening of The Dolphin, great news for Sydenham, lets hope that this is the beginning of something special.

Cheers
Essa
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Essa, you don't work for Green Chilli by any chance do you? :wink:

Either way, you've got some great marketing skills there. :)
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

weeble! - what the blinkin' flip are you doing on the forum at 00:48 hrs?!!!

I mean, the forum's good. But i don't know if it's early-hours-of-the morning-good! :wink:

Regardless - I'll be checking out the Green Chilli for def. this weekend based on the recommendations. I'll have a late night delivery. I'll post you a full report. I trust you'll be online!!!