Moving to Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
LocalMum

Moving to Sydenham

Post by LocalMum »

Hi there,

I am currently considering putting in an offer on a house in Sydenham near Mayow Park. I live in East Dulwich and need a bigger house, but I have effectively been priced out the area!

I am trying to do some research on the area before I formally put in an offer (or not!). There seems to be investment on it's way for Sydenham High Street which is great, what are people's experiences on how it has changed over the years? Do people feel a sense of community in the area? What are crime levels like?

The roundabout at the top of Sydenham High Street and Kirkdale is having some work done too - is there a new supermarket on the way? Any other shops that people are aware of?

Any thoughts and general comments on living in Sydenham greatly received! :D

Many thanks
sophie

Re: Moving to Sydenham

Post by sophie »

I have lived in Sydenham for nearly 20 years and am used to it so I like it! Mayow Park is a lovely park to chill out in. I think there's an increasing sense of community with the various events that run during the year. I like the transport links.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

So you're joining the East Dulwich Diaspora? A friend who's lived in East Dulwich over thirty years tells me many of his friends have moved here for the reasons you give. It's a matter of endless speculation why the Sydenham vibe has never matched East Dulwich's, and you're very welcome to add your contributions here should you come here on Sydenham Road vs. Lordship Lane - see endless threads on the matter in the Town Hall.

Sophie's right about Mayow Park - it's a hidden gem. (Wells Park is lovely too, while there are serious efforts to improve Home Park.)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I move from ED to the Forest Hill end of Sydenham ( very close to Mayow Park) over ten years ago. Depending on where you are, you may find yourself using the facilities and shops in Forest Hill as much as Sydenham. Forest Hill changed immeasurably in the last few years to the point where my ED friends will deign to come to SE23 for coffee! The pools are about to reopen too.

Sydenham is about to get some investment and I feel there is a real movement building for improvememt, especially with winning a share of the Portas funds for high street regeneration (shared with FH, as it happens). Sydenham Road looks scruffy but there are some decent shops and even a couple of decent restaurants.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image