New to Sydenham - street questions

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
new to area

New to Sydenham - street questions

Post by new to area »

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forum and getting a lot of info about the area. I am thinking of moving to Sydenham, but still have some questions that only insiders
would know the answers to, so hoping you can help me.

I've seen some lovely houses in Fairlawn Park. How is the walk to and from the station late at night? I'm female and security is very important for me. Would you prefer Sydenham or lower Sydenham? how is the area for families? is the atmosphere friendly towards children in the cafes and what are the parks like?

I am aware of some problems with antisocial behaviour in Fairlawn Park a few years ago, but that can be the case in any street in London any time. Would you think there are still some recurrent problems that could make bringing up small children in the area bit more difficult than your average London street?

Many thanks for any advice, it is highly appreciated.

Laura.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Re: New to Sydenham - street questions

Post by leenewham »

We live in Fairlawn Park and love it. As far as we know most anti social behaviour has been dealt with and in our part of the road at least, it's pretty quiet (aside from someone spotting our door open while having building work and the builders keys just inside the door and stealing his van!).

The houses in Fairlawn Park are lovely. Our neighbours are too (although after the building work I hope they are still speaking to us, we found some rather strange things in the house such as large unsupported concrete slabs in ceilings that needed removing with jack hammers otherwise the upstairs bedroom would have been a mezzanine!). PM me if you want the low down on any houses, we looked at a lot when we were first looking and there are some things to look out for. The road has an interesting history. You may find an old Anderson shelter in your back garden!

Near the allotments it's very quiet and gets less traffic that cuts through to Winchfield Road. But the houses nearer Sydenham Road are bigger, some apparently even have basements. The further you get towards the allotments, they tend to be a little smaller as the value of the land went down when they were building them due to the gasworks so I'm told. The houses in Fairlawn Park were built around 1895-ish.

Home park and the library is greatly improved thanks to local residents and there are quite a few activities for young kids at Sydenham Community Library. Our son goes there. We haven't had any problems here, far less than any other areas anyway.

All the streetlamps will be changed in Sydenham in the near future (as I understand it) so the lighting will be brighter too.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Another vote for.

In terms of security, if you're walking down from Sydenham station, there are late opening shops and pubs evenly spaced out along the way so you're not really walking anywhere isolated. As you say, it's London so you have to have your wits about you, like you would anywhere.

There are three schools very near Fairlawn Park - St Michaels (C of E), Our Lady St Philip Neri (Catholic) and Haseltine. Haseltine in now under shared leadership with Fairlawn and Kilmorie schools so I imagine that will be greatly improved quickly.

If you cross through Sunnydene St you'll be in the lovely Mayow Park in five mins where there's a great children's singing group on Tuesday mornings. There's also tennis, kids' football and there are two great playgrounds there.

There are a few houses up for sale at the moment in Fairlawn Park so I think you'll see many families moving in in the near future. I know at least 10 of my neighbours well enough to stop and chat with them. A friend of mine came round from elsewhere in London last month and was rather surprised that I said hello to so many people when we turned into our street. Best of luck.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Are we part of the 10 Chris?
new to area

Post by new to area »

Thank you Leenewhan and Chrism for your answers. Will update once we've made a decision!

Laura
Fairlawnresident

Post by Fairlawnresident »

Dear Laura

We have lived in Fairlawn Park for 10 years and like Lee and Chris have nothing other than positive things to report. The layout out the street means traffic is far from constant and the houses are spacious and well built. We brought our daughter up from a toddler here and she went to the fantastic primary school on the corner.

Our house is actually on the market at the moment ( you may have viewed it already) but please feel free to contact me privately here if you want to discuss further and I will let you have my email address.

Peter
GillM

Post by GillM »

As a female I would choose to come home (in the dark) to Sydenham station. As previous poster said it much more open that way. But in Fairlawn Park's favour we are so near to all stations which makes for easier travel for working in town.

Home Park has been much improved over the last couple of year's and I never worry taking my young grandson there. But again not a far walk to Mayow park which is nice park. Schools in the area are pretty good. There is a twice weekly playgroup at St Phillips church hall. The cafe's seem to accomodate children, infact I think there is a "mums meet" at the Dolphin fortnightly and Trat Raf had a kid's pizza making lesson a while back (so must be child friendly).

The house's are lovely, big and spacious, gardens are small but manageable. I have lived here around 30 years and have never had my car broken in to or stolen, never been burgled or directly know any neighbour who has been burgled (hope I am not tempting fate there LOL). Probably more than can be said for other roads in the area. Yes as you say there was a little episode of anti social behaviour but it was quickly nipped in the bud by the residents association!!

Good luck house hunting.
gerry

Post by gerry »

aren't we forgetting the armed mugging 2 streets away !!!!!
swannie

Post by swannie »

How is this street now? i have 3 young children, would you recommend i bring them up here?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We still live in Fairlawn Park and it feels really peaceful and quiet. The schools around are pretty good (we have a 2 year old) and there are lots of places around to go which are a short drive or bike ride away like Chrystal Palace, Forest Hill, Beckenham and the better places in Sydenham to eat and drink in are near us like the Dolphin or Trattoria.
swannie

Post by swannie »

Nice one thanks Lee, as you know it isnt cheap and having a 7yr old, 3yr old and new born i dont want to make a mistake i'd regret!!
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

I too live on Fairlawn Park (at the top near the allotments) and have done so for 12 years. I was aware some years ago of antisocial behaviour by some younger residents of the street, but I must say I have not been aware of any issues in recent years, at least at the top end of the street. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a home for young families. The library and Home Park are just around the corner. Food shopping is very convenient. Transport links are excellent. Family houses are still good value for money.

Howard
mikej

Post by mikej »

Also, Sydenham library (5 minutes away from Fairlawn Park) is very child friendly, with a lovely cafe which serves proper espresso (etc). Lots of children-focussed events too.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Home Park (next to Sydenham Library) also has an outdoor Gym.