The Dolphin

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
user100

Post by user100 »

I still think the Dolphin needs to extend the size of its kitchen if it is going to be a proper gastropub.

The set up is brilliant apart from that, c'mon Dolphin finish the job.

Me being an expert on the catering trade and all....... ;-)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I went to the Dolphin for the first time last Saturday. It's great inside and I loved the garden and it has a nice relaxed atmophere.

I wasn't impressed by the menu or the food. It was all a bit too fancy, and lacked real variety, perhaps it wasn't the full menu on Saturday lunchtime. The ratatoille was excellent, but thesteak sandwich only had a few bits of steak in a long lettuce filled bagette, which at £8.00 was a bit steep. The fish pate was nice but it came with two timy bits of toast.

Is there nowhere left that does really good English grub, like steak and guinned pie (that doesn't come in one of those silly bowls with an exploding pasty hat on top)?

Perhasp i got it on an off day. Aside from the food it looks and feels great and is a credit to the high street.
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

Me & the wife decided to try the Honor Oak last night for a bit of variety. All I can say is the Dolphin has nothing to worry about.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I've finally eaten at The Honor Oak and thought the food was really good. Have to disagree with Stringfellow I'm afraid! Reasonable prices, really good portion sizes and very tasty.

In complete contrast to my meal at the Dolphin.
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

I think either you went on a good night or we went on a bad one.

The wife had fishcakes (definitely not home made) and I had the sausage & mash. I am fairly sure that both meals were microwaved.

Whilst pre-prepared or packet food is not the worst crime in the world, if I am spending £8 or £9 on sausage & mash described in the kind of flowery free range blah de blah kind of way sufficient to make even a vegetarian think twice I expect something better than airplane food.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Just to let you know that the Dolphin are doing a great Christmas Menu for £20 per head if you book for a minimum of 8 people. When I saw that it was only available up to 21st Dec (I wanted to book for me and my friends on 22nd) I emailed them saying that if only it were available for one more day they'd make some people really happy. I got a very quick response saying that they would extend the deadline until Sunday 23rd. How's that for service?! Fantastic I think. I