The Dolphin

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
maturin

Post by maturin »

Apologies for my contributions to topic drift...

What I originally wanted to say (before getting sidetracked) was just how much I had enjoyed going into the Dolphin last night. It was a real pleasure and, judging from the conversation around me, many other people thought so too. Michael and Violeta have done a wonderful job and they can count on my, and many of my neighbours, custom in the future. The décor, design and lighting are excellent. The bar staff, friendly and knowledgeable. The choice of beers is good -- the Old Speckled Hen in particular is a lot stronger than it looks.
Only one tiny criticism: I'll be bringing a large party of people to eat on Sunday night so please get some more tables and chairs in. They were a bit thin on the ground last night.
The price of success I suppose.
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

Well I went to the Dolphin opening night and thought it was great, and for me it is slightly nearer to home than TDA.

I would consider myself somewhere between working & middle class, grew up in a large 'village' in Kent, went to a comp, started work at 16 and have never had more than 3 weeks off at any one time in 19 years now. Didn't go to Uni and no one that I went to school with did. (You can probably tell from my punctuation anyway!).

I commute to Hertfordshire everyday like a mug, my wife has a good job in town, she went to uni in South London and never moved away, she is also somewhere in between working & middle class.

Anyway, my point being that both me and the wife have tattoo's, we are neither troublemakers nor chavs or anything else (I don't own any Burberry, fake or otherwise although I do own some DAKS) so don't make assumptions about others just on what you see.

That said I must say that I am pretty much in agreement with Greg on most of his points in this thread.

We wanted somewhere nice to drink too and we now have it. If you don't want to go there don't, same as I choose not to go to the 2 halves, the Greyhound or any of the others (apart from the Golden Lion).

You have the freedom to choose...
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

At the risk of being drawn into this again....

I think it's good that the Dolphin is trying a different tack and attempting to make a business out of a gastropub in Sydenham. I hope it does well, I think it probably will.

What's offensive to me is the attitude that is a pub for 'us' and 'them' can go elsewhere.

I for one, hope it welcomes all - whether they're a tattoed chav or a bigotted snob.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Greg, perhaps Sydenham's The Dolphin could be shortened to STD.

Then it might catch on.
randomv

Post by randomv »

leaf wrote:"but as i said they dont matter because they are 'only' the working classes eh?
Jeez, and YOU talk about making huge generalisations?! You asssume that I am a middle class snob who has no time or regard for the people that you are labelling as working class. Based on where I choose to drink?!!

I don't know how many times i can say that I am merely welcoming some variety in Sydenham to reflect MORE of the people who live here.

Do you think that the fact that the Man of Kent is closed down and that the Dolphin was no longer a viable business just might be an indicator that there are no "poor sods" who've been booted out and that perhaps there is room for everyone to be catered for?
randomv

Post by randomv »

Whoops, I see peace has broken out overnight! Sorry about that.

Haven't had a chance to go to the dolphin yet, will do this weekend. Does anyone know if it's family friendly? I know it is stated as such..
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Only if your children all have the same father and have names drawn from Greek mythology not Footballer's Wives :wink:
user100

Post by user100 »

It's so funny how the simplest question on this thread can be turned back into the discussion on social class :lol:

To anser the question, it does seem to be child-friendly in the Dolphin, especially that it is non-smoking, and I guess the garden will be good for kids when its done.

Apparently there is / will be a baby change area which is great.

If anyone else can add to this, that would be great.

Also, if anyone had any comments on the food I would be interested, as I would like to dine there again and want to know what the other dishes were like please.

Has anyone dined there, and what did you think?

Or are most of you going there to have drinks only?
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Putting slightly silly 'class' debates to one side (I do like living in an aspirational town and our new great looking 'gastro bar' reflects that - at the same time I appreciate options from other pubs that enable me to watch West Ham (lose, unfortunately) on Sky Sports as well every now and again - surely we can have a bit of both?) anyway - more importantly - ... I ate there yesterday and have to say 'great food' - fish pie tasted really fresh and the Beef stew was to die for. More relaxed than the Dartmouth. It's the first time I've actually invited a friend from OUTSIDE Sydenham to join me for a drink IN Sydenham. Now that's saying something.

So here's to the Dolphin.

(And the Hammers)
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

We had the lamb tagine which was delicious. I think though that things will get even better foodwise in the New Year when the pub officially opens. BTW, today uplighters were being put on the front elevation and the signs were going up. What with the Dolphin and the smartening up of the Mercedes garage and its new showroom, this end of town is really looking amazing.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
I don'tknow about "Class" all i want is a pub where i feel safe having a good drink or three :D But i don't "Do" standing at the bar routine so i hope there will be plenty of seats when i go there next wednesday?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I couldn't be bothered to properly read all these posts but they seem to all be about class, or money, or lack of either. I am really not sure if the pub issue is about either, I personally think that my first impressions of Sydenham were that a lot of the drinking and eating establishments seemed really out-of date and needed something a bit more up-to-date and that's all thats happended to the Dolphin (thankfully). I think everyone wants that, no matter what class they consider themselves to be or how much money they have. Just a nice place to go that caters to what people actually want. What's wrong with that.
leaf

Post by leaf »

There is nothing wrong with that julwz,but as still-robbo pointed out it seems to be that for it to be acceptable for some people others have to be pushed out,that is what i feel is unfair.

And it IS about class,you only have to read what some people have said on this thread and the greyhound thread to see that.
randomv

Post by randomv »

Leaf, can you remind me exactly who it is that has been pushed out?! A pub that was failing as a business, (and let's not forget that that's what pubs are) has been given a new lease of life and can be enjoyed by anyone who wants to go there. Would you prefer it if the pub had gone under and no one prepared to take it on? Cos of course that's just what Sydenham Road needs, another boarded up building. Still, I guess you'd have found some satisfaction in that?

I'm sorry but I just don't agree that this is about class. For one thing, I don't know what class I am (although based on my choice of pub you clearly have an opinion - huge generalisation anyone?!) and more to the point I don't care - I'm me, I've got my set of values, my ideas of what I like and what I don't like. For the reasons I have already stated, I prefer not to drink in the Greyhound or the Railway etc and I welcome The Dolphin in its new form. That is not a judgement on the class, income or anything else of the people who do go there, it's just not my thing. I have an equal dislike of the pubs in town which are frequented by toffs. I don't like agressive, loutish behaviour or letchery - beit fuelled by stella or champagne. The end.
leaf

Post by leaf »

What happened to thye dolphins previous owners is a mystery to all,what exactly does that have to do with its clientel?

You are making an awful lot of assumptions about me and what i think dont you think?

Its funny that anyone can say what they like about 'low lifes' and chavs etc,but as soon as someone mentions 'middle class' everyone gets all defensive-have i missed something?
has that term become an insult?
randomv

Post by randomv »

leaf wrote:Its funny that anyone can say what they like about 'low lifes' and chavs etc,but as soon as someone mentions 'middle class' everyone gets all defensive-have i missed something?
has that term become an insult?
Well i can only speak for myself but I have not mentioned lowlifes, chavs or any such derogatory words - please don't put opinions that I don't have into my mouth.

I think we need to agree to disagree here because I'm getting the impression from you that the "working class" as you are labelling them, should be a protected species here but it's ok for you to make assumptions about me and others. Incidentally I have made no assumptions abuot you, other than what you have directly said.

I'm bored of going round in circles...
Peak Hillbilly

Post by Peak Hillbilly »

I visited the Dolphin this week and want to congratulate the owners on creating such a beautiful interior - it really is lovely and as other people have said, so good to be in a smoke-free environment.
The staff were very welcoming and my partner and I both tried the menu -the beef stew is to be recommended but the vegetable croquettes were a bit underwhelming!
I really hope (and believe) that the pub will be a success.
That said, I'd like to say that the references to class and accompanying sense of superiority displayed by some writers on this post seems more suited to the Daily Mail than a community forum.
leaf

Post by leaf »

I think it is worth pointing out that this whole 'class' thing started a while back on the middle class pubs thread,so please dont accuse me of going on about class as though i am the only one.

randomv,you ask me not to put opinions into your mouth,but then you go on to make assumptions about what you THINK i am saying.

peakhillbilly
"That said, I'd like to say that the references to class and accompanying sense of superiority displayed by some writers on this post seems more suited to the Daily Mail than a community forum."

you cannot be talking about me?!

re the Daily mail-I wouldnt wipe my b*m with it!
Peak Hillbilly

Post by Peak Hillbilly »

No Leaf I wasn't.

It's good to read about other people's impressions of the new Dolphin on this thread. I think it's a great addition to the High Street and we'll be going back again soon.
leaf

Post by leaf »

"No Leaf I wasn't."

Phew!

As i have said earlier,i wish success to all at the dolphin.