THE DUKE,WELLS PARK ROAD.

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leaf

THE DUKE,WELLS PARK ROAD.

Post by leaf »

Does anyone else know that it has now closed for business and will be turned into flats?
leaf

Post by leaf »

Wrong road for anyone to give a damn.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Hiya Leaf,

Sorry you haven't had any replys to your question but to be honest i have never heard of The Duke because i never go to Wells Park Road,

Merry Christmas :D
leaf

Post by leaf »

Hiya Annie!

Merry christmas to you too :D
Murfmullet

Post by Murfmullet »

Yeah I see it's closed., There's no plans to re-open it at the mo, the Talma over the road is ok though, I was in they're last Sunday.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Hi Murf

I heard that it is going to be converted into flats?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

There are no submitted plans concerning this pub on the Lewisham planning website. So, in the absence of any other well-founded facts, we can only assume that there are no plans for conversion at present.
leaf

Post by leaf »

I got that from someone who worked in there,i think a sign says it is up for auction soon.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Leaf - You are clearly very interested in this issue since you've repeatedly posted on it a number of times.

I've taken the time to look this up on the Lewisham planning website where there are no existing plans. This doesn't mean that the pub won't eventually change use but a planning application will have to come forward first.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to try to establish some basic solid facts yourself if you are concerned about this happening? You can then post them on this site.
leaf

Post by leaf »

"Leaf - You are clearly very interested in this issue since you've repeatedly posted on it a number of times."

Yes i have,i also started the thread,so its no surprise that i will post on it more than once.

"I've taken the time to look this up on the Lewisham planning website where there are no existing plans. This doesn't mean that the pub won't eventually change use but a planning application will have to come forward first."

Yes i read that in your last post,i then posted where i got the info from,which i accept isnt a reliable source.

"Wouldn't it be a good idea to try to establish some basic solid facts yourself if you are concerned about this happening? You can then post them on this site."

I didnt say i was concerned,i dont much care that it has closed for business,its not somewhere that i ever went to.

Not quite sure why this thread has riled you into being so rude and patronising?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Presumably it will be quite easy for someone to get permission to turn this into flats since there's already a pub across the road? Or is that not the way planning permission works?

Not sure how 'historical' this place is? If it's turned into flats wiill anyone miss it?
leaf

Post by leaf »

I'll have to look at some of falkors pictures of that rd,not sure how old it is?

I suppose the only issue with flats being built is lack of parking.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

It was built and licensed in 1866, the year in which Queen Victoria's son Alfred was created Duke of Edinburgh.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Thanks Steve
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Isn't odd how one of Queen Vic's sons looked just like John Wayne?

(That joke only works if you've seen the pub sign)
leaf

Post by leaf »

lol!

*That sign was quite a recent addition.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I walked past the place this morning and saw that a planning notice was pinned up. I've just looked it up on the Lewisham council's website and found this entry:

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=49624

(If the link doesn't work, go into the planning section of the site and use the search facility, looking under Wells Park Road).

There's actually quite a lot of information there, which I found pretty interesting (hurrah for e-government!). In summary, the plans are to demolish the existing building and build a 16 metre high building with four floors plus a fifth set back. This would contain 8 2-bed flats (about 80-85 square metres if I remember correctly) plus 1 3-bed flat and all would have a balcony and terrace. From what I could see of the plans, they would sort of look a bit like the flats above Sainsburys in Forest Hill.

I think this is good news, and it should help improve the reputation of that area. What say the rest of you?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Much as I hate to see old stuff demolished.. From what I can deduce from the plans it looks good - great to see someone attempting some nice-looking flats. The grass on top- is an eco-friendly touch - is this continued throughout in other features I wonder? Aluminium windows instead of upvc = a good thing, top marks.
I think it will help improve that area which frankly needs a bit of help but could be lovely (its near the park etc) with a bit more of this kind of thing. I live nearby and that's my opinion.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Thanks for the info Thomas,the plans look interesting.

Looks like the person i spoke to WAS right.............
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Did the poor old Duke get demolished in the end? (or converted into flats)