Regular day and time for writers' meeting

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Raphael

Regular day and time for writers' meeting

Post by Raphael »

We decided at the meeting of Sydenham writers today that we will meet in The Dolphin each Tuesday at 12.15 pm. We figured it might make it easier for people to attend if we had a regular slot. We usually sit at the table near the door opposite Lidl's. If that's not available, then we will be at an adjacent table.

If you come for the first time, it might be a good idea to bring a book, as a way of identifying yourself.

The meeting is informal and open to anyone working in the media and arts. So far, our group includes poets; biographers; journalists; short story writers; novelists; screenwriters; copy writers; TV producers; social historians; photographers; and designers.
Raphael

Re: Regular day and time for writers' meeting

Post by Raphael »

Sydenham writers' group met again today at The Dolphin. We had an interesting discussion about writing for theatre and writing screenplays; writers' weeks; and celebrity chefs. We will be there again next Tuesday at 12.15 pm. Anyone who works in the media or the arts is welcome to join us.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Oops. Last week, I was out of town. This week, I just forgot.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I was up to my knees in leaf mould and covered in mud when I remembered I'd forgotten. Next week...
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

How do people who actually have a job sign up to the Sydenham Writers Tuesday during the day love in?

Or is only for unemployed people?
dickp

Post by dickp »

Or, you know, self-employed freelancers, who work mainly from home!

Think of it as our version of having lunch with our workmates. Cos we haven't got any of our own.
CaptainCarCrash

Or as an exclusive club that excludes people :lol:

It should be called The people of a certain ilk writers club.

I think the name Sydenham writers is misleading and it needs to be renamed to reflect what it actually is.
dickp

Post by dickp »

:?

We're writers, who live and work in Sydenham. We meet in a pub, and "talk shop" for about an hour. You could come - but you might get bored, because we tend to talk about our shared experiences of being writers. 'Cos that's what we have in common.

I could invite myself to a lunchtime pub meeting of heating engineers, or builder, or dentists. But I probably wouldn't go back.
CaptainCarCrash

Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups, for all you know I could be anyone out here in tinterweb land. A construct of conscience designed to reel in the unsuspecting bores of a virtual reality and place myself upon its platform to sound off when ever the need takes my fancy :wink:

I was under the impression that the Sydenham Writers Guild was intended for like minded people to develop their passion for writing? but.... now you're telling me that it is nothing more than a vehicle for freelancers tittle tattle?

I'm very disappointed.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Blimey - what a grump!
CaptainCarCrash

Voyageur wrote:Blimey - what a grump!
Well it's not all bad V, I just found a place where they come round your house and make you a cup of tea in an old cup for £18.

It could be worse.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

He feels excluded from the prestigious Sydenham Writers Guild, that's all,

Tell you what Mike,I was thinking of starting a Cider drinking who can get under the table first kind of tues ,are you in?
Oh, we may even get to talk.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
CaptainCarCrash

Annie, people have suggested I join drinking clubs in the past, it didn't end well :lol:
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Haha, ok I won't talk!

CaptainCarCrash

I could add to this but it would be wrong so it's probably best for me to apologise for hijacking this thread and leave via the nearest exit.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Fair enough.

foresthillresident

Post by foresthillresident »

Please close the door on the way out while picking up a leaflet on "How to Read". When did "Sydenham Writers" turn into "Sydenahm Writers Guild"?
CaptainCarCrash

foresthillresident wrote:Please close the door on the way out while picking up a leaflet on "How to Read". When did "Sydenham Writers" turn into "Sydenahm Writers Guild"?
I included the word Guild, which I think makes it sound much more salubrious and prestigious than the slightly down market "Sydenham Writers" Dont you think?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

mikecg wrote:
foresthillresident wrote:Please close the door on the way out while picking up a leaflet on "How to Read". When did "Sydenham Writers" turn into "Sydenahm Writers Guild"?
I included the word Guild, which I think makes it sound much more salubrious and prestigious than the slightly down market "Sydenham Writers" Dont you think?
To paraphrase Beyonce, you should have put a smiley on it. Since we have writers and other creatives we might need to rename in Sydenham Artsy Farts.

CaptainCarCrash

Who said the content needed to change???? that idea came from dickp not me, all I did was question the timings, which funnily enough has turned in to a form of intellectual snobbery riddled with assumptions, patronisation and idiotic parodies.

Any halfwitt can see that a group about widgets wouldn't mysteriously change unrecognisably into a group about French social experimentation during the 1960's because someone had questioned timings of the meets???? couldn't they?