SE26 Breweriana: Piece of local history

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Heritage Angle

SE26 Breweriana: Piece of local history

Post by Heritage Angle »

Any of you noticed the Words 'Bitters and Ales' suddenly appear over a shopfrontage in Lower Sydenham on the main road (26 Oct 2012)? Some signage has obviously been removed to reveal this fabulous decades old piece of history. Its opposite the library and next door to the paint & decorating supplies shop on the corner of Elderton Rd. Apparently that shop had been an off licence once. Where the signage is, you can see its all one building so I reckon 'Bitters and Ales' and whatever it may have read was part of the offy'. Or - was it a small pub? Anybody here know about this (Neal?). I'm trying to upload a photo but its apparently 'invalid'. Don't see enough of this stuff around but I've noticed small splashes of hisory in Lwr Syd such as the top windows of what was the old butchers shop; the 60's/70's tiling on the Chinese cafe; The Hilman Avenger that used to be parked on Pawthcawe Rd until recently......
G-Man

Re: SE26 Breweriana: Piece of local history

Post by G-Man »

Amazing, will have to have a look on the way home tonight. Such a shame new shops don't adopt such signage anymore, the area would look fantastic if they did.

Were we used to live I'd walk down Hilmore Grove (or Road) just off Knighton Park and you'd see the old hovis add on the end of a terrace house, glad the owners have kept it, lovely bit of history, brilliant.

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm sure it would have been a put. It's lovely, you can't get tiles like that any more without spending a lot of money.

It's strange that a shop like that, which is about making your home better and sells paint, should be covered in broken signage and peeling paint!

What if…
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I think that underneath the Superdrug sign that there is an old Sainsburys sign from the days of smaller Sainsburys, correct me if I'm wrong.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Wouldn't it be brilliant if someone with the initiative took over a shop and made it into a cafe or whatever and restored the original signage of whatever it was before. I know that a bar opposite Peckham Rye that was an electical shop has done the same, it now looks amazing....

G-Man
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

It would be good if local councils MADE shop keepers make their shops look attractive,it wouldn't take a lot, a bit of paint, a new sign, no rubbish outside.
Simples tsk!

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Who knows! I might even shop there!

Ian H

Post by Ian H »

Annie. wrote:I think that underneath the Superdrug sign that there is an old Sainsburys sign from the days of smaller Sainsburys, correct me if I'm wrong.

Before it was Sainsburys it was a grocery store selling fresley ground coffee,cheese.I started working there when I was 14 .Happy days ,can"t remember what it was called.,
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes remember it well as child used to visit with my mother

You used to queue up at four of so separate counters then pay at the end where there was a cash till.

Those were the days.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Eagle, queueing up on four seperate counters? Glad those days are over :D