Moles

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Rachael

Moles

Post by Rachael »

Anyone else have moles? I found a small burrow just before Christmas. Whatever dug it managed to dig out a big, tough ivy root, so I suspect moles. This morning there is a hole in my lawn, exposing a tree root. Again, it looks like a mole hole - they like to eat roots. Apparently the wet summer is to blame as the ground stayed nice and soft so the moles stuck around for the summer and had their babies here instead of retreating to woodlands for the summer.

Think I am going to have to employ a mole catcher.
14BradfordRoad

Re: Moles

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Could also be foxes Rachael, also excellent diggers.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That's true, but the foxes tend to dig under the fences, not in the middle of the lawn. And these holes seem a little small for foxes - about the size of a large man's fist.
pip

Post by pip »

Hi Rachael,
I remember years back when we had Moles in our lawn that we used gas pellets which we got from a local garden centre which did the trick although not sure if these are still available.
You could get a jack russell which I am told will sort out the problem or a cheaper alternative is to
stick a couple of those cheap plastic kids windmills in the lawn and the vibration travelling down the stems when the wind blows will move the mole(s) away. But I have no proof if this actually works but might be worth a try.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I heard on Gardener's Question Time that the vibration method doesn't really work and can actually attract the moles. It looks like the gas can only be used by professionals now.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Deleted ... it was meant again to be a PM :oops:
jackieboo

Post by jackieboo »

I've only ever seen molehill earth mounds, never holes dug by them? It makes great sieved fine earth though for the garden!