what's sydenham comprehensive school like?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
beckyg

what's sydenham comprehensive school like?

Post by beckyg »

Hi
Has anyone got kids at Sydenham school. We might be moving to the area next year, which is also when my eldest has to apply for secondary schools. I've read the school's prospectus - sounds lovely - but what's the local feeling about the school?
mikej

Post by mikej »

Don't believe a word of what you read in a school's brochure!
stuart

Post by stuart »

The latest OFSTED report dates from 2001 and can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/2cflyl

HTH
Stuart
beckyg

Post by beckyg »

Hi
Thanks for the link to the ofsted report - i have read that (it was good, on the whole), it's just that it's already six years old and I know how quickly schools can change. Where i live now i know lots about the local schools just because parents chat aobut them at the school gates, but i don't know anyone in sydenham at all.
To the person who said "don't believe a word of what's said in the brochure" - do you have kids at the school?
stuart

Post by stuart »

The other alternatives for Girls include:

* Prendergast in Brockley - a small more homely school so some people think

* Haberdashers Askes in New Cross - very over subscribed but unloving.

* Cator Park over the border in Bromley - did have an unfortuneate head but it may be recovering now ...

All schools (or at least all you should consider) can be persuaded to let you have a look around in daytime/termtime. This can be very much more revealing than 'parents evenings'. Some schools hum with active learning, some are obviously out of control and others are a bit too quiet ... and the kids who take you round may spill the real beans ;-)

Stuart