Walking club / country jaunts

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
misscaroline

Post by misscaroline »

Hullo,

Anyone know of a walking club in the area? I do like the odd country jaunt of a Sunday and now the weather is getting nicer, it seems like a good idea to get out and breathe in that bracing country fresh air. And enjoy a well-earned drink in a nice pub after.

Cheers
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Don't know about a walking club specifically but sometimes they have walks posted up on the noticeboards of Crystal Palace park and Sydenham hill woods, though they tend to be one-off type of events.

Last summer a few of us on the forum met up for some historical walkabouts which were great fun and very educational as well. I'm sure there will be some going on this summer too. If you are interested in the history of the area and some walks on a very casual basis have a look over on the Town museum part I'm sure I've seen one or two people mention some possible ideas for walkabouts this summer.
Marion Wood

Post by Marion Wood »

Not quite what you were looking for but some suggestions to consider:

Sun 22 April – National History Museum Wildlife Garden Cromwell Rd SW7

Five minutes walk from South Kensington tube station.
Meet the scientists and learn about some of the garden’s wildlife. This garden with 3 central ponds was designed & created in 1995 to show typical lowland Britain habitats i.e. deciduous woodland, meadow, chalk downland, fen & heathland. Opening under the National Gardens Scheme. Admission is £2. Refreshments available.

Sun 6 May 3- 4.30pm Voice of Slavery Concert - Horniman Conservatory

Catch a bus from Sydenham to Forest Hill (176, 197, 356)
Walk around the 16 acres of open green space before this free concert of music composed by former slaves Ignatius Sancho, “Blind Tom” Bethune, and arrangements of spirituals & plantation songs by Samuel Cleridge -Taylor, H T Burleigh and other early 20th century distinguished Black composers.

Sun 13 May 2.15 pm start - Crystal Palace to Horniman Gardens

Meet at the Thicket Road, Penge entrance to Crystal Palace Park. (Buses 176, 197, 227) A three & ½ mile walk through Crystal Palace Park, Wells Park, and Sydenham Hill Woods. Mrs Iris Humphries of the Sydenham Society will lead the walk.

This walk is just one of the events arranged by the Lewisham Walking Forum for the fortnight Sat 12 May to Sun 27 May. The full programme will be available locally by the end of the month. Planned walks include three evenings with those opportunities to “enjoy a well-earned drink in a nice pub”.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this before. The Dolphin would be an ideal place to start and finish.
misscaroline

Post by misscaroline »

Thanks for the tips.
The local walks sound very edifying.
I suppose I had something further afield in mind.. perhaps a train out from central london and then a decent afternoon's strolling with a pub en route. And quite possibly at the end.

I've looked at the Ramblers Association website and they do have group walks, some of which are for younger folk (20's and 30's) in particular, but a) you have to be a member, b) I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member (joke) and c) you have to be the kind of person who relishes getting into central london for kick off at the ungodly hour of 9.30 a.m of a Sunday morning.

I was thinking more like an 11 o'clock start and less military precision...
Although I like the idea of beginning and ending at the Dolphin, I'm not sure the delights of Lower Sydenham would keep me entertained for long.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Details of the annual Lewisham Walking Festival starting next month have just been announced. Details can be found at our sister site:
http://www.lwf.org.uk

Admin
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi, did you have any particular part of the country in mind?
dickp

Post by dickp »

If you're in your 20-30s.

www.metropolitan-walkers.org.uk