eBay users urged to change their password

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
mosy

eBay users urged to change their password

Post by mosy »

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=news+ ... al&tbm=nws

As I understand it, eBay's Paypal database hasn't been "got at" (thank goodness).
Rachael

Re: eBay users urged to change their password

Post by Rachael »

Yet another password to change. My new password for everything is: I*hate*hackers.
parker

Post by parker »

If this happened in February/March why haven't we all been super cyber-attacked by May?

I doubt eBay has been hacked more likely it's a promotional status to advertise the paid software.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Perhaps eBay knew but only chose to own up now once they could hopefully honestly say that no fall out had occurred.

Hacking passwords is surely of limited value on its own if it's true that no financial details were hacked. After all, name DOB and address (including one's IP address) is hardly secret since the man and his dog can find that out legally. But if harmless, why would a hacker bother, which is a bit worrying as they wouldn't if they couldn't somehow use the password information... Hmm *scratches head*
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mosy,

Hijacking a 'good' ebay account to sell stuff and not deliver or counterfeit has a long history.

People use the same email address/password for the closely related PayPal/Ebay accounts. Cracking PayPal can be very lucrative. People will use the same combination in lots of places - because remembering different passwords is difficult.

Even some STF members find it difficult as I know too well :(

Admin
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi Admin. I'm surprised my thread has been relegated to the long grass already since it was intended as a heads up given it was only announced today. Hey ho.

Nevertheless, thank you for your reply. I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with the workings of eBay (mixed experiences from a very few occasions, mostly good) so am sad to learn that honest sellers might suffer from passing-off hijack merchants.

Using the same password for more than one site is something people surely stopped doing at least 10 years ago. OK we both know that's not true. Same as NOT storing identifiable passwords on one's computer, nor sensitive (vulnerable if hacked) financial details. Of course people don't do that nowadays either do they...

There are only so many precautions one can take, but I have to say that if a major site tells me to change my password, I will - I mean, why wouldn't I given that one has no alternative but to trust them since seemingly it's impossible to delete one's account from anywhere and by delete I mean no trace rather than disappearing from view.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I use KeePass to store my accounts/passwords, credit card PINs and stuff so I only have to remember one. KeePass is free, ad-free, runs on PCs, tablets and phones so I always have everything with me whether at home or on the bus. You just have to work out a reliable method of moving the database between devices - like keeping a master copy in the cloud. It would be silly and dangerous to only have one copy or keep them all in the same location.

Sorry about the long grass. It just me trying to transform it into a neat lawn.

Admin