Locked Animal Safari Thread

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Joanne

Locked Animal Safari Thread

Post by Joanne »

Dear Admin,

Was it really necessary to delete posts and lock the animal safari post?

Is there any chance that you would consider unlocking and re-inserting the deleted posts? Otherwise there is a distorted version. In the past, you have told me that I should not delete posts.

Jonathan was emailing me and I tried to keep the discussion to the forum in order to avoid just a dialogue. I had no idea that I had crossed a confidentiality boundary, was in fact trying to establish a boundary.

Why is it right that Jonathan can send me emails, write more than he is willing to say on the Forum?

Considering his approach, I think that my comments were reasonable and I tried to handle the situation in the best way that I could by politeness and transparency.

Why not let the thread run? Re – insert the deleted posts to keep it comprehensive. These aren’t impulsive comments that I am making, are based on a lot of thought.

I find myself constantly thinking about the High Street and these are shared. SEE3 don’t do that, they don’t open up a discussion, just go ahead and do it.

I think by closing a thread down only adds to this monologue.

There is a wealth of experience on this Forum. There are so many different view- points too. I think it is great this has been established and in the way it has been too.

I like the fact that you ‘moderate’ – there have been times when I’ve felt pretty upset. So has helped me in this way.

However, I’m not saying anything unkind.

If possible, could you let this thread run, include everything?

I would step back and not comment. It would be useful I think to give others on the Forum a chance to comment if they’d like to.

Kind regards,

Joanne
Rachael

Re: Locked Animal Safari Thread

Post by Rachael »

I do think it's crossing a line to post something that has been sent to you personally, either by email or PM, without the permission of the writer, and admin was right to take out those posts. It's really quite unacceptable on any forum.

Likewise it is off-putting, for me at least, when any discussion includes direct personal criticisms. It's hard to judge when this line has been crossed, though. I don't see anything wrong in people complaining about the actions of our elected representatives, such as our MP or Councillors. Likewise, I think it is fair to point out where you think people involved in SEE3 don't have the appropriate skills or experience. But I was uncomfortable about your criticisms of the Louise's new shop, and of the graffiti, because those seemed to be based more on your personal tastes and opinions and then it begins to feel unfair. I like the graffiti art, and I like TSR Marketplace. The latter being in lower Sydenham is actually it's attraction for me and I have been in a few times, for food and for flowers. Stating as 'fact' that these things are failures when other people don't feel the same undermines your other, very valid, points.

If admin is willing to unlock the Animal Safari thread, but leave the deletions, would that be acceptable? As it reads now it still makes sense to me.

Also, admin - this belongs in the Asylum, I think.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I agree with Rachael that stating as fact what is an opinion does undermine the many valid points that you make in many posts Joanne. I also understand your efforts to ensure transparency and openness but do feel that posting PMs without the agreement of the sender is inappropriate, even when done for the right reasons.

I also like the TSR marketplace but will be interested to see if it can survive or not. I hope it does.

I think you express the frustration of many who have given up. To be honest I don't think that SEE3 and other groups are ever going to use the forum as a widespread communication tool or as a place for getting ideas and opinions, which is a pity.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Joanne, did you know that you can remove PMs as an option so people can't send you any (Admin still can).

The option is found under User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit global settings.