Keep photo faces anonymous?

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
mosy

Keep photo faces anonymous?

Post by mosy »

Advice please. I've taken a few photos of the children wandering along Sydenham Road in their super Halloween costumes, which I can probably figure out how to upload here.

Although it's legal to take photos in public places, do you think parents might object to their faces and their children's (where identifiable) being shown? It is easy enough to put a small black square over.

Is there any sort of etiquette re identifiable faces?
Ta.
Pally

Re: Keep photo faces anonymous?

Post by Pally »

mosy wrote:Advice please. I've taken a few photos of the children wandering along Sydenham Road in their super Halloween costumes, which I can probably figure out how to upload here.

Although it's legal to take photos in public places, do you think parents might object to their faces and their children's (where identifiable) being shown? It is easy enough to put a small black square over.

Is there any sort of etiquette re identifiable faces?
Ta.
Different parents have such different views on this ....some love their kids plastered online, others avoid it like the plague and can be quite militant even on school websites etc
My advice would be put the square to be on the safe side!
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Technically there is no expectation of privacy in a public place in the UK. Posting to this forum? I'd say it's fine. Selling to a national newspaper (for some reason)? I'd think about blurring faces of those not involved in the story
Pally

Post by Pally »

robbieduncan wrote:Technically there is no expectation of privacy in a public place in the UK. Posting to this forum? I'd say it's fine. Selling to a national newspaper (for some reason)? I'd think about blurring faces of those not involved in the story
The problem is the modern concerns about children pictures on the internet, hence some parental concerns even on school websites. Personally I think it can get silly, but my advice was based on avoiding the problem arising for Mosy, if someone does object, even on this site. But yes, you are right, technically. there is no expectation of privacy and it would be nice to see the pictures!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes go ahead unedited on the presumption that you or I will take them down if there is any objection.

Fun should be shared. Not so sure about the sweets. Oh and a special prize for anybody snapping a 'penny for the guy' girl or boy or are they an extinct species?

Admin
mosy

Post by mosy »

Sorry admin, I've decided to go with Pally's understanding of my concerns and blank identifiable faces out. Taking them down after they're already on the world wide web is too late as they could have already gone around the world in a worst case scenario. My photos are just street scene, not those deliberately on stage at the Sydenham Centre for the costume judging where photos ought to be expected.

Thanks also to robbieduncan for replying: But It's not just "this site" is it? This site is a public forum. I think I can make the intermediate site selective as to who sees photos but pointless if then posting on this public site.

On one public site, a proud dad was uploading his daughter's photos almost on a daily basis. I had to wonder after a deep intake of breath if that was wise as it's unlikely she'd thank him once older given once on the Net they're there forever. The point is, I can't comment on or control what other parents think is fine (or definitely isn't) only being in control of what I post.

Yes, Pally, I'm sure people will want to see the wonderful costumes, effort by parents and enjoyment of kids wearing them and strutting their (evil) stuff. (As per John Travolta's line, "Let's strut".) Thanks of course to the Council and shopkeepers too.

Please don't expect expert photos as kids never stand still for even a second. One, I asked if I could take a photo so got a posed shot, so remembered to ask her: "Whatever you do, don't smile" and was amazed she held her scary glare as both me and her mum were both grinning like Cheshire Cats.

I didn't see any Penny for the Guy - although that is rather frowned on as begging rather than being offered freebies (always has been). I did spot a young Grim Reaper with scythe, but wasn't quick enough to get a shot.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Oh dear, decisions decisions.

I think in the cold light of day that I will leave faces showing as, for several youngsters, face painting is part of their costume so it'd be a shame to lose them. Also, no-one one has replied to my question with a strongly worded "no faces" so I'm going with no harm done by showing this fun event, unless an objection is raised, then Admin or I can take any offending pic down.

I'd make a good politician if U-turns are anything to go by ;)
Pally

Post by Pally »

mosy wrote:Oh dear, decisions decisions.

I think in the cold light of day that I will leave faces showing as, for several youngsters, face painting is part of their costume so it'd be a shame to lose them. Also, no-one one has replied to my question with a strongly worded "no faces" so I'm going with no harm done by showing this fun event, unless an objection is raised, then Admin or I can take any offending pic down.

I'd make a good politician if U-turns are anything to go by ;)
As I said it will be nice to see the pictures! Probably be ok and yes blanked out face paints sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it!! :lol:
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi Pally et al.

Can you tell me if this link works?
Not sure if I've got privacy settings right. If it does, I'll post it on the Town Hall.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1057818136 ... 0M7o2o_mLg

You can click on "Slideshow" (first item on a horizontal menu near the top), or click on a thumbnail to enlarge.

Ta
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes I can see them fine.

Admin
Pally

Post by Pally »

mosy wrote:Hi Pally et al.

Can you tell me if this link works?
Not sure if I've got privacy settings right. If it does, I'll post it on the Town Hall.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1057818136 ... 0M7o2o_mLg

You can click on "Slideshow" (first item on a horizontal menu near the top), or click on a thumbnail to enlarge.

Ta
Looks good
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks both.

I've set the permission to view only, via the link (download and copy options turned off).
Will post to Town Hall.