Stu's Supposition

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
stuart

Stu's Supposition

Post by stuart »

Remember Godwin's Law? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law. Has it not been superseded by:
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of involving Brexit approaches 1 (or is it 29?) before disintegrating into personal acrimony and closure
We are evidenced from Town Pub to Town Hall. A prize for providing a link to the most inventive or non-sequitur connection here or elsewhere online before this thread disintegrates ...

Stuart
michael

Re: Stu's Supposition

Post by michael »

The longer any conservation (offline and well as online) in this country continues the probability of involving Brexit approaches 1.
In fairness this is true for any subject. By definition an infinite conversation will cover all topics, so the longer the conversation, the more likely kangaroos will be mentioned. From this perspective there is nothing unusual about Brexit or Hitler.
...before disintegrating into personal acrimony and closure
There is little sign of closure on this issue. In fact i believe Schrodinger based his cat experiment on solutions to Brexit. We continue to live in a quantum state where Brexit means No Deal and Deal simultaneously. This theory is generally considered to surpass the previous format developed by Noel Edmunds that stated Deal or No Deal.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

michael wrote: 19 Jan 2019 23:23 The longer any conservation (offline and well as online) in this country continues the probability of involving Brexit approaches 1.
In fairness this is true for any subject. By definition an infinite conversation will cover all topics, so the longer the conversation, the more likely kangaroos will be mentioned.
I think Michael needs to refer back to the pioneering mathematics of Georg Cantor, who first realised some infinite numbers were bigger than others. At its simplest, there are more numbers, in the sense of non recurring decimals, like pi, ('reals') than there are fractions ('rationals'), so that you can never match each real number with a rational. More interestingly, there are more possible assertions in maths than there are proofs, from which you get that there are statements in maths which will be true, but can never be proved, so we'll never know which they are.

For the purposes of human debate about Brexit of anything else, there are more things to be said than there are hours, minutes, seconds or even split seconds in a day, so those who try to exhaust the subjects will fall asleep, as will their listeners, only to be woken up, before too long, by reality
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Tim Lund wrote: 23 Jan 2019 09:05 only to be woken up, before too long, by reality
If only
mosy

Post by mosy »

As a leaver, Brexit = infinity, since even if it ever truly happens people will be attributing everything, good or bad, to it for years to come. "Terrible weather today isn't it?" "Yes, I blame Brexit." Or "Thank goodness for Brexit, they're filling in the potholes now." "Are they?" "Yes, for a new lorry transit park." :evil:

I haven't figured out how to blame Hitler for Brexit yet...
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

mosy wrote: 23 Jan 2019 13:59 I haven't figured out how to blame Hitler for Brexit yet...
Assuming Hitler had sign off on the propaganda, that ship has sailed:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 85396.html
mosy

Post by mosy »

Sailed? Seemingly not quite as it suggests that Stu's Supposition can be answered by Schrodinger's cat. I.e. that both Hitler and Brexit now coexist simultaneously under Godwin's Law. Ooh goody, a new hypothetical: Which will (a) be referred to first? and (b) Which will endure longest (in the UK) Godwin-wise?

Next one likely is EU Phoenix, being brink of disintegration and rebirth - UFIX?
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Sorry, I've mislaid my mosy to English dictionary - I'll leave you to it.