Sockpuppets on t'other forum

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Homecroft

Re: Sockpuppets on t'other forum

Post by Homecroft »

stuart wrote: 22 Jul 2019 11:19 Its been enough to re-awaken SE23.COM: https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14095

Stuart
Intriguing! I like the noises being made by the admin there. Could a revival be in order. For a community run forum with its priority being transparency?
Granted the software is a bit 2002, but I am sure with a little love it could be a lot more user friendly.

Amazing how things seem to have come full circle isn't it!
I read elsewhere that apparently mods have now seen a reference number, not sure if that is actually a CRN or CAD. Seems a bit vague as to who actually reported the matter though. Certainly seems to point to the CB side, but there seems to be deliberate avoidance of mentioning who actually reported it. Could it have been a family member who is not so up to speed on the goings on? Conjecture I know, but...

More and more people seem to be asking what is actually happening, what the cause of all this is, so clearly even the members who have very little interaction are now asking questions. But alas, there are still no answers for them, or even a shove in the right direction.

Meanwhile a few die hards are faithful to the end. I respect that, but wonder why. Are they blissfully unaware of what has actually happened over the past years? Are they in denial that CB would do such a thing? Or are they just so loyal to him that they will stand by him and watch on as he carries on? I guess they could be fearfully loyal too, as long as they behave, they will never receive such attention and anger.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Legal threats to SE23.COM: https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.p ... 6#pid78836

Can anybody spot any defamation that isn't in that letter? It's almost like he wanting to screw-up the SE23.life mods rebrand as a forum at peace with its community. I think they need to start looking at the nuclear option as a contingency Plan C, or possibly D.

Or just remind Chris of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Stuart
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Robin Orton wrote: 22 Jul 2019 11:51 Oh no. Does everything have to keep getting get more and more complicated? Can someone please offer some Clear Moral Guidance for us simple folk who want to have a forum for Forest Hill (and one for Sydenham) but don't know which one we ought to be using?
Is "Don't lie" clear enough?

Or as the late, great Sir Walter Scott wrote in Marmion
O what a tangled web we weave
When first we venture to deceive
Did you not read it when it first came out?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Tim Lund wrote: 22 Jul 2019 13:23Did you not read it when it first came out?
Ooooh I wouldn't go out in the dark tonight Tim ...

Stuart
Homecroft

Post by Homecroft »

stuart wrote: 22 Jul 2019 13:13 Legal threats to SE23.COM: https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.p ... 6#pid78836

Can anybody spot any defamation that isn't in that letter? It's almost like he wanting to screw-up the SE23.life mods rebrand as a forum at peace with its community. I think they need to start looking at the nuclear option as a contingency Plan C, or possibly D.

Stuart
Standard form letter I think. Maybe he just hit the wrong keyboard shortcut, and accidentally wrote that.
Not seeing an deformation there. The only person guilty of deformation of character right now is CB himself, on himself!
As time goes by, as the vague "wait and see" comments continue, as well as the total denial that he has done anything wrong. Along with the prolonged hiding of the original admission of what he had done, the situation certainly just gets worse and worse.

Gossip, more gossip, as well as some genuine stories from people of their experiences, which finally seem to be attracting some credibility. As they rightly deserve. Not to mention more and more people becoming uncomfortable with the issue of trust on the forum.

The answer to "what happened, can I trust you" is NOT "It's nothing, its OK, trust me" !
The answer people are looking for is a simple one.

The admin admitted in public to creating a sockpuppet (complete with online identity, a company, images, following other similar accounts)to gain trust from someone who had already blocked him, to be able to read tweets on a private account (authorised followers can view these tweets)
The person sussed it, and laid a trap to get them to reveal themselves. It wasn't pretty, but selected information about the admin taken from open social media accounts was sent in an email. The admin then decided to publish ALL the information, inc pictures and a vague address in order to out the person. It backfired!
The admission was posted, outrage ensued, a poll was made to see if the thread should remain, that backfired and 90% wanted it left. The thread was then removed due to a police investigation which mods have since said they know nothing about, and have seen the reference number for.
Since then it has been suggested that this is not the first time this method of using sockpuppets has been used to monitor people, and indeed send hurtful messages to them and others.

Trust is earned over time, and lost forever in seconds....
rod taylor wrote: 22 Jul 2019 13:22 as outlined by Chris Breach

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a keeper!
Last edited by Homecroft on 22 Jul 2019 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
brazil nut

Post by brazil nut »

stuart wrote: 22 Jul 2019 13:13 Legal threats to SE23.COM: https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.p ... 6#pid78836

Stuart
What's defamation got to do with the ICO? Answer: Absolutely nothing.

https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/what-we-do/
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I realise this is a serious thread, so apologies if that last posting was too facetious.

Another, more serious side thought is how we feel about privacy in this new world of social media and Big Data.

Edited, 23rd July

OK - although no one's complained to me, I feel uncomfortable about what I posted being a digression on this serious thread, so I'm deleting it.

Tim
Last edited by Tim Lund on 23 Jul 2019 08:09, edited 2 times in total.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Tim Lund wrote: 22 Jul 2019 13:23
Yes, of course. And I recall it said 'practise to deceive' not 'venture to deceive.' But perhaps it was changed in later editions.
Last edited by Robin Orton on 22 Jul 2019 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
brazil nut

Post by brazil nut »

I expect that means that similar emails have been sent to admin of this forum? If so, I hope the admin here understands that threats to report someone to the ICO for defamation is an empty threat from someone who (IMO - so's not to risk being defamatory :wink:) doesn't know what the hell he's talking about (or is plain desperate). :?
Homecroft

Post by Homecroft »

brazil nut wrote: 22 Jul 2019 14:29
an empty threat from someone who (IMO - so's not to risk being defamatory :wink:) doesn't know what the hell he's talking about (or is plain desperate). :?
Trying his usual bullish generic threats me thinks. Numerous people have received such threats. All in the name of control. Desperate panic.
starman

Post by starman »

Has SFT received the same threats?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Stuart
If Chris is reading this, I'd like to say this to him: stop. Just stop. You have here a golden and perhaps never to be repeated opportunity to get out of this mess once and for all with minimal repercussions. You may believe you didn't start any of this. That doesn't matter. Just hear this: YOU can make it stop. You can remove all this stress and anger from your life. You can stop any further worry of threats to your family, or to your job, to your ability to sleep at night. All you need to do is withdraw from these forums. Any forum, indeed where you have ever used a sock puppet account. And stop using sock puppet accounts, any where, any time. Stop issuing legal threats. No more. Just shut it down. Walk away. It will not follow you into real life. Close it down and all this will disappear, forever.

You may say it's not right that YOU should withdraw from these spaces, that doing so lets your enemies win. So what? Let them win. Because I guarantee you, you will be a happier person if you do this.

Just imagine the relief. Now stop imagining and do it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Starman posted
Has SFT received the same threats?
Yes, I have received several threats from old Beachy over the past year or so. Not pleasant.

admin
starman

Post by starman »

I'm sorry to hear that. I meant in response to this topic?
stuart

Post by stuart »

It isn't just the Admin he sends 'em too. I've posted one with response on SE23.COM. I hope it doesn't make their Admin too uncomfortable but, to echo Rachael, please just stop Chris. When you do I will and I hope others too.

You have a lot going for you - play to your strengths. Discourse is one of them. Moderation is not.

Stuart
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Robin Orton wrote: 22 Jul 2019 13:51
Tim Lund wrote: 22 Jul 2019 13:23
Yes, of course. And I recall it said 'practise to deceive' not 'venture to deceive.' But perhaps it was changed in later editions.
I can pre-date you both:

But facts are chiels that winna ding,
An downa be disputed

And i read it in the original Lallans Scots.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Just wanted to make sure this post is prominent.

Rachael is the first to attempt to reach Chris Beach personally.

And as an appeal, its virtues require it to framed and pinned on a wall or on a thread if you get my meaning..
Rachael wrote: 22 Jul 2019 17:14
If Chris is reading this, I'd like to say this to him: stop. Just stop. You have here a golden and perhaps never to be repeated opportunity to get out of this mess once and for all with minimal repercussions. You may believe you didn't start any of this. That doesn't matter. Just hear this: YOU can make it stop. You can remove all this stress and anger from your life. You can stop any further worry of threats to your family, or to your job, to your ability to sleep at night. All you need to do is withdraw from these forums. Any forum, indeed where you have ever used a sock puppet account. And stop using sock puppet accounts, any where, any time. Stop issuing legal threats. No more. Just shut it down. Walk away. It will not follow you into real life. Close it down and all this will disappear, forever.

You may say it's not right that YOU should withdraw from these spaces, that doing so lets your enemies win. So what? Let them win. Because I guarantee you, you will be a happier person if you do this.

Just imagine the relief. Now stop imagining and do it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not yet.
brazil nut

Post by brazil nut »

admin wrote: 22 Jul 2019 19:30Not yet.
Weird. Why would he go after SE23COM and not this thread?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Good question. Only one man can answer. Given this thread has been going longer and harder and would contain defamation if any of the numerous claims was a bit too exaggerated then it is a better target.

My hypothesis is Chris' brain is still stuck in a rut. He is still convinced I am Admin and sent a load to my address. If so, my mailserver will have directed them to a more appropriste place called /null (sorry Linux joke).

Sleep happily tonight real Admin.

Stuart