Sockpuppets on t'other forum

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc

Moderator: frenzarin

Homecroft

Re: Sockpuppets on t'other forum

Post by Homecroft » 27 Jul 2019 02:53

Fair play Dick, to be clear the intentions of spite and hurt are very much my own belief, as it fits his MO perfectly, and has done it before.
That is the whole problem, he owes no one anything, and everyone apparently owes him eternal gratitude for the forum.

DickWynne wrote:
27 Jul 2019 01:12
[

In fairness to Chris he did not explicitly state that spite and hurt towards Nicola were his motives, this was my deduction from the fact that he chose in his response to suggest that our wish to see the CRN was based solely on a belief that Nicola was owed that information; and in his words he owed her nothing. This entirely ignored the wider issue of the misuse and deception he conducted on his own forum, and the controlling obfuscation he persists in.

brazil nut

Post by brazil nut » 27 Jul 2019 12:37

stuart wrote:
26 Jul 2019 13:57
I have just received this:
This is a formal request under the GDPR / Data Protection Act 2018.

Please remove any information from your site that personally identifies me and/or can be linked to me. I no longer wish to have anything to do with sydenham.org.uk due to the unpleasant culture that has formed there. For example, the following page:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19646

On a separate note, you may also wish to review some of the accounts on your forum to prevent your site hosting libel and defamation (and general unpleasantness).

Over on SE23.life, a small handful of accounts which frequently made personal attacks on others were first warned about this behaviour and then eventually suspended after repeat offences. Some of these abusive accounts have now migrated to STF, so please see this as friendly advice - to steer STF to happy and community-focussed culture, you may wish to respond to the behaviour of these individuals.

Chris Beach
se23dotcom wrote:
26 Jul 2019 19:04
Ooh, I get to have a MeToo moment:
https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.p ... 3#pid78893
Under advice from the ICO, this is a formal request under the GDPR / Data Protection Act 2018 that you remove personally identifiable information (including my name) from se23.com and any information that can be linked to me personally

Chris Beach
Why doesn't he just tell STF and SE23.COM what he told his own mods? Namely:
SE23.Life mods wrote:

*** Moderator update ***

We’ve been informed this matter is now being formerly investigated by the police and as such, all information in this thread has been moved (not deleted) to a hidden area so as not to prejudice any investigation. The thread is now closed to further replies.

Or is that because he'd have to show their admin some real evidence of a CRN, not some Mickey Mouse LaLaLand version?
DickWynne wrote:
26 Jul 2019 21:08

<wild hypothesis>

There was never a report of harassment (or the like) on Nicola’s part, as this would expose your own subterfuge and lead the police to either dismiss the case (of which she would learn) or hold you equally responsible. You used this fiction to shut down, via the mods, certain discussion threads .

</wild hypothesis>

JGD

Post by JGD » 28 Jul 2019 21:14

Under advice from the ICO, this is a formal request under the GDPR / Data Protection Act 2018 that you remove personally identifiable information (including my name) from se23.com and any information that can be linked to me personally

Chris Beach
It is my recall that Nominet was one of Chris Beach's last invocations on STF before being given the bums-rush from there.

Didn't seem to be able to grasp Nominet would adjudicate on domain and web issues - not content disputes. Worra !

Don't think he gets that principle with the ICO and GDRP either. Worra !

To what entity is Chris Beach's mindless overreaching desire to inflict his will going to appeal to next ?

The Cats Protection League is my bet !!!! They must have an enforcement division and he must have saved a few pussy cats in his life.

Hunker down everyone.

JGD

Post by JGD » 28 Jul 2019 21:35

In another place, Pauline wrote:
I honestly don’t understand why peeps would want to leave this site as it’s great for our community. Remember everything you do online is collected by “cookies” which can look into all your online information. Much more than what this or any other local forum can.

I’m staying on here.
Good for you, Pauline! Loyalty is a thing to be treasured. But whether you like it or not, he has abused your trust. How many people did you meet and verify and Chris Beach has subsequently abused? How many of them deserved that treatment at the hands of Chris Beach?

And for the increasing number of people who have personally endured Chris Beach's bile and vituperative attacks - they can no longer enjoy the measure of trust to which they were entitled.

The community deserved that trust too - and the community has been abused by Chris Beach and their sense of community integrity trodden into the dust.

The bubble of his protestations and false assertions that he had integrity and would never engage in sock-puppetry has burst.

His perception that he can create further fabrications with impunity beyond what he confessed to with Flava Baker is coming to an end.

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 30 Jul 2019 19:52

OK, I might be a little over invested in this a-thousand-times-better-than-Love-Island thread... But can I just repeat one more time, CRN my B*LLS.
Because for a CRN to happen Chris Beach would have had to walk into his local Tunbridge Wells cop shop (or ring them, but that doesn't work too well dramatically) and say:

"Good morrow, Officer. I'm Chris Beach, a fully grown adult male. I spent a good deal of time and energy creating a fake Caribbean Bakery account on Twitter, and on the local forum that I own because I wanted to see if a woman I was having an Extremely Important Argument on the Internet with was saying unkind things about me. When she then emailed my fake bakery account with some personal information about me (to see if it was me), I wrote a gotcha post on aforementioned public forum I own, accusing her of threatening me. Which, yeah, I suppose, technically, was a lie. Anyway, can I have my CRN now please?"

Come on SE23.Life mods. We know the score. This guy is playing you. If you can live with that, that's fine. Sunken costs fallacy, perhaps?

Sad that the action is now fully over on SE23.Life, (you can't silence us forever, ya heartless bunch) and unfortunately I'm now rapidly losing sympathy for the Chris Beach character after reading the SE23.com thread. :(

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 30 Jul 2019 20:04

Pauline, you're right, of course. However, the people that collect your personal data in the form of cookies don't live in your community. They don't have well documented history of having 'enemies' (jeeeeeezus), or arguing with people about stuff (you know, like teenagers on the internet do...) They don't run a forum that's become an important marketing tool for small local businesses, and that many local people rely on for recommendations. They aren't interested in finding out who you're friends with locally, or what you might be saying to them. A person with 'enemies', and who has complained of feeling persecuted might be. I hope that you can see how that's different, and how that it could leave people feeling rather unsettled.
If people want to use SE23.Life that's up to them, but they should get to read the Flava Baker thread before they make their mind up.

JGD wrote:
28 Jul 2019 21:35
In another place, Pauline wrote:
I honestly don’t understand why peeps would want to leave this site as it’s great for our community. Remember everything you do online is collected by “cookies” which can look into all your online information. Much more than what this or any other local forum can.

I’m staying on here.
Good for you, Pauline! Loyalty is a thing to be treasured. But whether you like it or not, he has abused your trust. How many people did you meet and verify and Chris Beach has subsequently abused? How many of them deserved that treatment at the hands of Chris Beach?

And for the increasing number of people who have personally endured Chris Beach's bile and vituperative attacks - they can no longer enjoy the measure of trust to which they were entitled.

The community deserved that trust too - and the community has been abused by Chris Beach and their sense of community integrity trodden into the dust.

The bubble of his protestations and false assertions that he had integrity and would never engage in sock-puppetry has burst.

His perception that he can create further fabrications with impunity beyond what he confessed to with Flava Baker is coming to an end.

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 30 Jul 2019 20:33

Also, to labour a point. Having a forum owned by someone who shuts down any discussion that don't suit him, and could flounce off at any point he isn't being agreed with or appeased and shut the forum down ISN'T great for our community. It's terrible for our community. Mark Zuckerberg isn't going to close SE23 mums if we say something he doesn't care for.

Homecroft

Post by Homecroft » 30 Jul 2019 20:51

**applause **

starman

Post by starman » 30 Jul 2019 21:02

hotterthanurex wrote:
30 Jul 2019 20:04
If people want to use SE23.Life that's up to them, but they should get to read the Flava Baker thread before they make their mind up.
[/quote]

Now there is a Flavia Baker account which appears local and follows socks. I'm confused by all this.

https://twitter.com/FlaviaBaker10

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 30 Jul 2019 21:11

Bwahhahahhahah. At last, a Beachy tribute act!
I'd been so seriously considering flogging some Flava Baker merch (T shirts? Mural designs?) but this is waaay better.

JGD

Post by JGD » 30 Jul 2019 21:28

There have been many statements made on the dot life forum about a police complaint and an associated police investigation. While those linked with the site have not provided any evidence supported by a valid complaint record number (CRN), Nicola decided to contact Metropolitan Police Service and Kent Police and offer her assistance in the matter. It was with the intent that it could be brought to an end quickly for all parties involved. She's asked me to relate these findings on STF.

Nicola has been completely vindicated in outing a nasty sock-puppet who was trying to spy on her and harass her.

Perhaps this is an end to the matter.

If it is not , Nicola will report this continued harassment to the police.

Any repetition of the suggestion that there is a police inquiry into Nicola or that she has done anything illegal will be regarded as threatening and libellous.

And any trust that most people had in Chris is destroyed by his vindictive actions on STF and against previous moderators and contributors to SE23.life

On Friday (26th July), Nicola drove to Sevenoaks and presented herself to Kent Police. After that she attended Lewisham Police station for a second time. She spent several hours at both police stations and after extensive searches, the following was confirmed to her by both forces:

1. There are no reports filed against her married or maiden names. Chris is aware of both names;
2. There are no reports filed against her date of birth;
3. There are no reports filed against her address;
4. There are no reports filed against Save Duncombe Hill Green or anything that looks or sounds remotely like that;
5. There are no reports filed by Chris;
6. No reports were filed at Lewisham Police Station on 17th July that may even remotely relate to the circumstances described by Nic in a fully and frank report to the officers she spoke to.
7. This point contradicts the post on STF by a non-mod who had been shown an electronic version of an alleged document in evidence created by Chris;
8. Nic disclosed to the Metropolitan police fully the email and its content she sent from the Save Duncombe Hill Green account. MPS confirmed the report would NOT have been transferred to Kent Police. It falls squarely within MPS’ jurisdiction;
9. MPS also confirmed in the event that a report had been filed on 17th July with Lewisham Police and it had been subsequently transferred to Kent Police, it would still show up on Lewisham Police systems as well as Kent police systems. It showed up on neither on either the 22nd or 26th of July when Nicola made her enquiries;

I hope this shows clear evidence that no police complaint exists and therefore no police investigation is currently underway. Nicola has done so much for our community; led on civic campaigns, supported our schools, and been a source of information for so many things in SE23. What many don't know is all the amazing stuff she does behind the scenes, helping individuals and offering kindness. We need more people like Nicola.

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 30 Jul 2019 21:39

Poor Nicola, what a huge waste of her time. Thank you for this update. I look forward very much to the complete restoration of the Flava Baker thread, as promised by .Life mods.

JGD

Post by JGD » 30 Jul 2019 21:46

hotterthanurex wrote:
30 Jul 2019 20:33
Also, to labour a point. Having a forum owned by someone who shuts down any discussion that don't suit him, and could flounce off at any point he isn't being agreed with or appeased and shut the forum down ISN'T great for our community. It's terrible for our community. Mark Zuckerberg isn't going to close SE23 mums if we say something he doesn't care for.
and
hotterthanurex wrote:
30 Jul 2019 21:39
Poor Nicola, what a huge waste of her time. Thank you for this update. I look forward very much to the complete restoration of the Flava Baker thread, as promised by .Life mods.
To echo Homecroft - ***applause***

starman

Post by starman » 30 Jul 2019 22:10

Wow. This is truly incredible news. So as many have thought there is no complaint. No investigation. I hope this can now be discussed on the dot life forum where it should be discussed. At the very least the hidden topics should be revived.

I completely agree that Nicola is great for this community. I'm so saddened and angry that she is continually subjected to this level of harassment.

I'm one of the many recipients of the kindness that JGD mentioned. Once she read of my search for a food item. She found it in Lewisham, bought it for me, and had her son bike it round to my house. I had never met Nicola. I was really touched by this random act of kindness.

I'm sure there are many other similar stories out there.

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 30 Jul 2019 22:25

Just read Nicola's post on SE23.com. Feel a little guilty about my levity upthread as the effect this has had on Nicola and her family is absolutely horrible. I've actually met a few trolls and former trolls (IRL!), and, to an extent, they see the internet as a game. They like the attention, they like the reaction, and a fair few of them get off on being notorious or even reviled. So maybe CB won't change his ways, but please. SE23.Life mods. End this now, and post a brief and public apology. Remove all the (clearly, and now demonstrably) false references to a police investigation. Yes, it's fine to have lively discussion of local issues (and of course lively disagreement too). But a poster on a community forum should NEVER been allowed to target another individual in this way. This IS a failure (albeit a 'built-in' failure) of the moderation team. You must do the right thing and correct it immediately.

brazil nut

Post by brazil nut » 30 Jul 2019 22:26

JGD wrote:
30 Jul 2019 21:28
While those linked with the site have not provided any evidence supported by a valid complaint record number (CRN)
DickWynne wrote:
26 Jul 2019 21:08
It occurred to me today that I may have unwittingly deceived readers here on Chris Beach’s behalf
Dick spotted this days ago and was decent enough to speak up about it. What a disappointment that the moderators haven't done the same. Isn't that their job?

DickWynne

Post by DickWynne » 30 Jul 2019 23:38

I am hugely relieved for Nicola (whom I don't even know) to hear this news, and sorry that I appear briefly to have been instrumental to Chris Beach in perpetrating an apparent untruth in pursuit of reputational damage limitation by him.

My bizarre follow-up theory on the STF thread was thought most likely to smoke out the CRNs, which I was prepared to believe existed but were being withheld for psychological reasons, but it appears it was not too wide of the mark after all.

I am still mystified by the images I received from Chris of convincing-looking and recently-dated written and email acknowledgements (but with CRNs redacted for no good reason) allegedly received by him from both police forces, and I have contacted both forces offering them as evidence.

Chris would rather I did not put them online, but given his (at best) intransigence on the CRN matter, and the fact that crime reports are a matter of legitimate public interest, I don't feel bound by his wishes. If there is a valid explanation for the below images (and it seem improbable that there has been a clerical error at both police forces) it's high time we knew it.

To make a false crime report, or even to claim the existence of a fictitious one, is, I believe, an offence carrying a range of sanctions or punishment -- from police caution, through fines, to jail time.

Last edited by DickWynne on 31 Jul 2019 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

JGD

Post by JGD » 30 Jul 2019 23:55

stuart wrote:
26 Jul 2019 13:57
I have just received this:
This is a formal request under the GDPR / Data Protection Act 2018.

Please remove any information from your site that personally identifies me and/or can be linked to me. I no longer wish to have anything to do with sydenham.org.uk due to the unpleasant culture that has formed there. For example, the following page:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19646

On a separate note, you may also wish to review some of the accounts on your forum to prevent your site hosting libel and defamation (and general unpleasantness).

Over on SE23.life, a small handful of accounts which frequently made personal attacks on others were first warned about this behaviour and then eventually suspended after repeat offences. Some of these abusive accounts have now migrated to STF, so please see this as friendly advice - to steer STF to happy and community-focussed culture, you may wish to respond to the behaviour of these individuals.

Chris Beach
This i regard as further harrassment by Mr Beach. He has sent me numerous previous threats [example here]. He has been asked to stop it and been blocked. But obviously found a way round.

So here is a formal notice to Mr Beach. JUST STOP IT.

Nobody wants to hurt you, but we do need to stop you harrassing, bullying and telling phibs. The more you try, the more you will be exposed. Simples.

Stuart
A quote from a response by the ICO on a similar matter:
The ICO’s role

Part of our role is to consider complaints from individuals who believe their data protection rights have been infringed.

Our view

We have considered the information available in relation to this complaint and we are of the view that [Redacted} forum does not fall under the remit of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

This is because most social forums and social media come under domestic exemption, so the GDPR doesn’t apply.
From a trusted source.

Checking the Act for confirmation and screen dump.

DickWynne

Post by DickWynne » 31 Jul 2019 05:29

JGD wrote:
30 Jul 2019 23:55
[
The ICO’s role

Part of our role is to consider complaints from individuals who believe their data protection rights have been infringed.

Our view

We have considered the information available in relation to this complaint and we are of the view that [Redacted} forum does not fall under the remit of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

This is because most social forums and social media come under domestic exemption, so the GDPR doesn’t apply.
From a trusted source.

Checking the Act for confirmation and screen dump.
Many thanks for this very interesting information JGD. Chris Beach gave me GDPR as the reason the forum could not change ownership, which is the only way I would reactivate my membership of it.

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 31 Jul 2019 05:55

Ah. Yes, I imagine Chris could be right there, Dick, as that's to do with the data they keep and store? Although who knows as the legislation while well intentioned is extremely confusing. But yes, GDPR doesn't cover what people write on forums or social media. That's covered by usual laws for libel, hate speech, revenge porn, harassment etc. Which is why it seemed so odd when Chris Beach invoked the mysticical powers of GDPR. I'd be surprised if he didn't know it didn't apply?