Sockpuppets on t'other forum

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc

Moderator: frenzarin

rod taylor

Re: Sockpuppets on t'other forum

Post by rod taylor » 1 Aug 2019 16:04

Robin Orton wrote:
1 Aug 2019 15:51
In my view, JGD's screed about narcissism adds nothing to this discussion. Indeed, I don't think one should speculate about named individuals' possible psychopathology on this sort of forum.
I thought society was supposed to be having an honest conversation about mental health so that we can destigmatize it and help vulnerable people to overcome prejudice blah blah...and so on...

RJM

Post by RJM » 1 Aug 2019 16:05

Ah, I didn't realise "trust" levels meant you could do that :oops: . I've never used a forum where anyone without admin privileges could edit thread titles. I'm not entirely convinced by the poster in question, but will downgrade my suspicions!

Rachael

Post by Rachael » 1 Aug 2019 16:16

rod taylor wrote:
1 Aug 2019 16:04
Robin Orton wrote:
1 Aug 2019 15:51
In my view, JGD's screed about narcissism adds nothing to this discussion. Indeed, I don't think one should speculate about named individuals' possible psychopathology on this sort of forum.
I thought society was supposed to be having an honest conversation about mental health so that we can destigmatize it and help vulnerable people to overcome prejudice blah blah...and so on...
I think that's true in a general context. I agree with Robin that it's not appropriate (IMO) to speculate on an open forum about a readily identifiable individual.

JGD

Post by JGD » 1 Aug 2019 17:40

Rachael wrote:
1 Aug 2019 16:16
I think that's true in a general context. I agree with Robin that it's not appropriate (IMO) to speculate on an open forum about a readily identifiable individual.
Yes me too.
But here is the thing.
The identifiable individual has been acting in an unchecked predatory fashion.
He schemed to entrap a member of our community with the purpose of reporting her to the police.
She was very close to falling foul of that plan. She endured harassment in the extreme. She endured fear. Her kids heard from their friends that their mum was going to prison.
Good people believed that the identifiable individual could not possibly engage in such activities. And some elected to join in the public attack on her believing what this identifiable individual told them.
And a tiny group grew into a small but effective group to offer her support.
Is there a rationale for my post?
Of course there is. Look at the content and make your own comparisons. As I said.
And if you see another of his victims - go help them too.
Pleased to be thick skinned enough not to worry too much about criticism.
Am I ready to do it again - you decide.

Rachael

Post by Rachael » 3 Aug 2019 10:31

There's a lot of 'noise' on this thread - facts and theories jostling for attention. If you strip all that out, what are we left with? This:

CB says he reported Nicola to the police for harassment.
Nicola goes to the police several times to identify herself and be associated with that report. Each time no record is found.
CB states in several places that he has the Crime Reference Number for the report.
Nicola asks through various channels for the CRN.
CB refuses to give it to her.

This is the salient point: CB refuses to give her the CRN. Why?

Here's what Nicola can do with the CRN: she can present herself in person to the police, provide proof of her identity and give them the CRN. They will then tell her whether or not she is a named person associated with that CRN. If the police feel they want to question her at that point they will.

That's it. She can't derail the investigation. She can't use it against CB in any way.

So, again, we have to ask: why will CB not give her the CRN? The conflict of facts presented in this thread does strongly suggest it is because the police report is fake. But that's a serious charge.

Let's take a step back and say it is genuine. In that case, CB is STILL acting in bad faith by not giving Nicola the CRN (or authorising others who have it to pass it to her). The ONLY reason he can have in that scenario is simply to prolong the agony for Nicola. In doing so he also extends the length of time his name and the reputation of the .Life forums are under a very black shadow. CB MUST know that if he co-operated with Nicola on this, it would do a HUGE amount to restore people's faith in him, and would blow all these theories about the report being faked out of the water.

And yet, still, he won't do it.
Last edited by Rachael on 3 Aug 2019 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

JGD

Post by JGD » 3 Aug 2019 11:38

Rachael wrote:
3 Aug 2019 10:31
That's it. She can't derail the investigation. She can't use it against CB in any way.

So, again, we have to ask: why will CB not give her the CRN? The conflict of facts presented in this thread does strongly suggest it is because the police report is fake. But that's a serious charge.
Succinct, Rachael.

Homecroft

Post by Homecroft » 3 Aug 2019 12:50

All about being in control and nothing more. Clearly craves being in control of any and every situation, regardless of the cost to others.

That or he has something to hide, and is praying they decide to take no further action, if they haven't already. Because if Nicola or any of his other targets were to put their side across it might and probably would look pretty bad for him and his reputation.

Spineless to the end. Just a sad little control freak, which is why he remains puppetmaster of the forum, even while living miles away. Because it gives him control.

Grow up man, and just publish, instead of touting it round people you think will take your side and tell everyone else you are a goodie two shoes.

Your admission of being a nasty piece of work is already out there, you can't change that. So why make it worse.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton » 3 Aug 2019 14:42

I'm finding this constant and repetitive slagging off of Chris Beach pointless and distasteful; it smacks of an online lynch mob. I'm not in a position to defend him and indeed wouldn't particularly want to. But what's the point of going on and on about his alleged misdeeds?

What I don't suppose most of us will ever know (those of us, that is, who haven't got access to what I gather is a previous history on social media) is the background to his alleged feud with Nicola (whoever she is.) I for one wouldn't want come to any sort of final conclusion about the rights and wrongs without knowing something about that.

Meanwhile, I shall continue (with some reservations) to use SE23. life when it seems useful to do so. I note with interest the apparent change of approach by the moderator(s) of SE23.com (still Steve Shaw?) and would not rule out transferring my allegiance back if that proves to be more than a flash in the pan.

JGD

Post by JGD » 3 Aug 2019 15:08

Fair and succinct too, Robin.
Robin Orton wrote:
3 Aug 2019 14:42
I for one wouldn't want come to any sort of final conclusion about the rights and wrongs without knowing something about that.
As to what's the point, there is an emerging and growing number of reports from people who have been subject to attacks by Chris Beach in public posts and in private messages and occasional threats to report people to the police or invoke action by his lawyers. That range of activities often starts with unwarranted criticism through to unchecked red-mist style attacks and beyond.

There has been discussion about curating a compendium of anonymised, unvarnished accounts. That remains to be seen.

You too might be surprised by the number of the great and good in our communities who have been targeted.

It pleases me that you are not a victim.

If you encounter one - do have a chat with them - ask a few questions. I will be surprised if your view is not altered after that.

But hey-ho.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton » 3 Aug 2019 15:41

JGD wrote:
3 Aug 2019 15:08
You too might be surprised by the number of the great and good in our communities who have been targeted. […]
If you encounter one - do have a chat with them - ask a few questions.
Unlikely. I'm afraid I don't move in those circles.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 3 Aug 2019 17:29

CB has targeted me in the past, as admin on this forum - more than once. Distasteful.

JGD

Post by JGD » 3 Aug 2019 19:17

Robin Orton wrote:
3 Aug 2019 15:41
Unlikely. I'm afraid I don't move in those circles.
I use the term euphemistically. It was intended to cover the full spectrum.

Pretty sure I don't qualify either - but you get the gist of it.

It's a little regrettable if you don't.

Hey-ho!

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 3 Aug 2019 20:28

rod taylor wrote:
1 Aug 2019 15:21
Genuine question for admin: what steps have been taken to ensure that any of the profiles on this forum are not still Chris Beach sockpuppets?

Excuse my technical ignorance, but is it still a possibility?

As soon as I heard about the actions of this jumped up little man I closed my SE23life account. I honestly think the level of deception and the level of mistrust he has engendered is appalling. Any sympathy I ever had for him has completely gone now because he is so obviously still at it and so obviously doesn't seem to see the harm in it all.
?? Admin - how likely is it that a poster on STF could be a Chris Beach sock puppet? Am I right in presuming as long as he continues to change email address he could pop up indefinitely with a new sock puppet?

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 3 Aug 2019 20:57

Well it's clear he's got a lot of time on his hands... So yeah, pretty likely. Hi Chris!

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 3 Aug 2019 21:14

Really don't like the idea of an anonymous collection of accounts though, sorry. If someone irl was rude or v goady or unpleasant (but not doing anything illegal) then collecting everyone's account of that person's behaviour and posting it on the noticeboard by the station wouldn't be OK. So this isn't either.
If it's a crime to falsely accuse someone of being under police investigation (which the police have confirmed it is) then it should be a police matter, but only if that person wants to take it further. From what I've read engaging with Chris is the last thing anyone would want to do so I can see why she might leave it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 4 Aug 2019 08:22

Rod Taylor asked:
?? Admin - how likely is it that a poster on STF could be a Chris Beach sock puppet? Am I right in presuming as long as he continues to change email address he could pop up indefinitely with a new sock puppet?
He has had at least two sockpuppet accounts on here in the past.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 4 Aug 2019 16:10

admin wrote:
4 Aug 2019 08:22
Rod Taylor asked:
He has had at least two sockpuppet accounts on here in the past.
Thanks. Interesting, because it kind of means people can't really be banned if they are using a pseudonym because all they have to do is pick another pseudonym. It is only if you are using your real world identity that you are no longer able to contribute.

This is all deeply ironic because I seem to remember it was Chris Beach advocating verified users to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Genuinely, I would never contribute in a public, online forum under my real name - the possibilities it gives nasty characters like Chris Beach to traduce are now all too obvious. I've never felt I was hiding behind a pseudonym; more protecting myself.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton » 4 Aug 2019 19:14

We had a prolonged debate on this forum several years ago about the use of pseudonyms. I thought the default position for a local forum should be that posters should use their real names, but the consensus was very much in favour of anonymity.

I find that using my own name has the advantage of making me careful about what I post - I always try to think, 'Would I be happy about this post if I met the person I am arguing with in real life (as I might well do, Sydenham being quite a small place)?'

I did briefly meet Chris once, and we were quite civil to each other. I cannot say that the prospect of being 'traduced' by him worries me very much. Indeed, to be so traduced might well be both interesting and flattering, given that I find both his right-wing politics and his schoolboy atheism so inimical to my own ways of thinking.

hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex » 5 Aug 2019 07:13

Yeah but if you were a local teacher, youth leader, pastor, business owner, councilor, playworker (any job where you need a fair amount of public trust) you really wouldn't want Chris Beach on the attack, given the lengths he'll go to include accusing you of stuff on his widely read forum, using sock puppets to gain access to your social media and making up bs police investigations. Really potentially damaging stuff. Plus, I like speaking freely on forums (obviously not lambasting individuals but maybe giving my opinion on a planning issue). The vibe over at se. 23 life means I'd never have felt comfortable doing that under my own name.

rod taylor

Post by rod taylor » 5 Aug 2019 08:34

hotterthanurex wrote:
5 Aug 2019 07:13
Yeah but if you were a local teacher, youth leader, pastor, business owner, councilor, playworker (any job where you need a fair amount of public trust) you really wouldn't want Chris Beach on the attack, given the lengths he'll go to include accusing you of stuff on his widely read forum, using sock puppets to gain access to your social media and making up bs police investigations. Really potentially damaging stuff. Plus, I like speaking freely on forums (obviously not lambasting individuals but maybe giving my opinion on a planning issue). The vibe over at se. 23 life means I'd never have felt comfortable doing that under my own name.
Precisely - it's really not a question of just being 'nice' on the internet, and if you are retired you may not appreciate that our reputations are now built and maintained online, whether it is a professional reputation, air bnb reviews, ebay etc. Indeed, this is one of the reasons CB is panicking and trying to expunge this stuff from the record; his career could be finished by Beachgate - imagine if you google Chris Beach and this stuff comes up - it doesn't look great to potential clients.

Nicola would probably agree with this. We are moving in the direction of verified users and these kind of tactics may become standard if we don't watch out - look at the underhand methods, the lies that CB used to to deal with the competition - any competition.