Bogus calls about computer infestation

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
admin
Site Admin

Bogus calls about computer infestation

Post by admin »

Had a couple of calls this week from an Indian Call Centre. We were addressed by name. They claimed my computer was infested with junk files and that I should connect to www.lodmein123.com

The patter starts by asking you to check Windows Prefetch directory. Whatever you say the response is "that shows ii is infested". The guys tell you that your computer has been sending them information about the problem and, when asked, they are using your registered phone number with Microsoft to warn and sort you out.

Except Microsoft probably don't have your name/number and would not supply it to third parties. As it happens they do have mine but not the one these guys called.

For anyone with any knowledge of how systems work should realise this is an attempted con. However it is designed to exploit people's concern about their computer security and it is easy to imagine this scam will work with many unsuspecting people.

Whether the aim is just to sell you some unneeded service or software or do something malicious to your computer - I don't know - they rumbled me before I could find out.

Just a warning - don't fiddle with a computer based on a cold call. Has anyone else had these calls?

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A little research discovered their intention:

"... the web pages would have presented me with a login portal which in a couple of clicks would have enabled them to take control of my PC and probably install a key logger to try and grab my bank details or something else equally malicious."

This and a very nice and fuller description of the scam can be found here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.p ... 480.0;wap2

Admin
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I have had one a while ago. I just told them that I had excellent security and rang off.

Regards
Chris
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I've had lots of these calls, which is very amusing, because I only have mac computers. I also get calls claiming to be from 'the UK government' telling me there is unclaimed grant money in my name. Now that one really makes me laugh, given last week's emergency budget.