On.... conversation, discussion, debate and argument

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc

Is the Sydenham Town forum a good thing?

Poll ended at 19 Aug 2006 15:20

Absolutely... Definitely!
82%
I'm not so sure
No votes
No
18%
With improvements it might be
No votes

Total votes: 11

Knighton

On.... conversation, discussion, debate and argument

Post by Knighton »

It seems that every internet forum has its collection of folk who seem to believe that any disagreement, with their own sacred view, is a challenge or an attack. There is an all pervading air of paranoia.

Personally I regard a forum as an excellent place where debate can be carried on between people while removing many of the obstacles that are created by personal appearance, culture, background and a host of other things that get in the way of good debate. It is very sad, then, to find people attempting to rebuild such obstacles and setting out to create division arising from some misconception which derives more from their careless misreading.

It is not conversation. There are no delays in conversation. It is debate or discussion. When the matter descends to the level of argument it is time to stop. For it to reach that point is a reflection of the immaturity of one or more of the participants.

Debate is a useful tool. It enables those who participate to understand the views of others with whom they may disagree. It provides an opportunity for people to explain why they have particular beliefs or an approach to a subject. The forum provides the time for those, less nimble with their words, to consider their response over time and put their case more effectively. What a pity some do not use that available time effectively and instead lurch into snap ill-considered reactions.

Debate provides each individual to expose themselves to information from others. Seldom is any view entirely without merit, although sometimes that takes some searching for!

I should be interested to know what people think constitutes a good debate. What should never be permitted? Does it matter if one or two people seem to monopolise the debate? Are there any subjects that should be taboo? Would debate be helped with an easier software package such as Vbulletin? ( I think so).

On the first point I suggest that name-calling is the absolute NO! NO! The "***ist" words especially! Anything that defames another poster is equally so.

My experience of life is that no experience is bad experience and that knowledge may be gained from the most unlikely sources!
dickp

Post by dickp »

mate, this website is a children's tea party compared with others out there.

try http://www.rollonfriday.com/forums/disc ... Discussion

for all round viciousness.
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

Stop crying Knighton!

Your style can come across as somewhat confrontational, and therefore you have to accept a bit of stick. Nothing wrong with being confrontational - in the same way that there is nothing wrong with being flippant (in the way that I am). The difference is, I really don't give a monkey's.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Try dealing with the topic Ray...us
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

Is there an us?
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

'Twas but an abbreviation of your pseudonym...
Juwlz

Mass debate

Post by Juwlz »

Knighton- I think the appreciation society has gone to your head! I sometimes agree with your point of view and somtimes not. But you do come across as a bit pompous in this post. Who are you to tell people what they should be offended by? Is that a personal attack or just my point of view? Please let me know as I am genuinely confused and not actually trying to be insulting (though maybe suceeding anyway). There is no air of paranoia on this forum as far as I can see – maybe the paranoia is yours.

Maybe I am one of those guilty of posting snap ill-considered reactions and maybe this is one but if I spent a lot of time thinking about it I probably wouldn't post at all. (perhaps that would be better I don't know?). Those ill-considered posts always come back to haunt you, I find!

I think that if a person is mature they should be able to deal with immature people without getting their knickers in a twist, surely that would be a definition of maturity?

Personally I don't think you can start dictating what people can and can't say without taking away the whole purpose of the forum. I occasionally like to write somethings that are a bit tongue in cheek but I don't blame someone if they get offended by what I write.

I think it is great if people have differnt points of view because I like to learn something from other people and change my opinions if they turn out to be wrong or out of date, but people need to feel free to say what they want within reason. I wouldn't want to be the one that decided what was reasonable though!
Annie

Post by Annie »

:)
Personally i think you should post what you feel, thats what a forum is for.
but i don't think it is right to jump on someone for their beliefs. if you don't agree with something then either put up a reasonable reason why not, or just ignore the post! (Simple is best) :wink:
Juwlz

voting

Post by Juwlz »

I don't seem able to vote. Do you have to click something? Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Am I just a bit special?
Annie

Post by Annie »

you are not the only one, i don't know how to vote either(i'm special too)
perhaps some kind soul will let us know?
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

I've just worked out how to vote. Log in before you open the thread and it should be there.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Not sure how that happened but all of a sudden i could vote??? :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Re: voting

Post by admin »

Juwlz wrote:I don't seem able to vote. Do you have to click something? Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Am I just a bit special?
You need to be logged in to vote and you can only vote once!

Re the subject in hand - remember "We ask you to agree, by clicking the link below, not to post any abusive, slanderous, threatening ... "

Banter is welcome but there is a thin line between 'banter' and 'abuse'. Particulary as we have very different perceptions of what is funny. Which is why Netiquette requires you to be careful about it. In other words its OK to poke fun, send up or whatever anyone who you know will take it in good faith. If you think the other person has humour deficit or on another planet then you keep it straight.

I've seen a lot of good discussion areas go down the pan. The great thing is this community has managed to avoid becoming an abusive place without becoming boringly serious either. Its a difficult balance. Its one that you, the posters have maintained with very, very rare intervention by the moderators (see elsewhere in the Asylum).

It would be grateful if we can keep it that way. Have fun, but ensure your target is enjoying it too! As ever, if you want to clarify or disagree with this opinion, do argue your corner. Its not the Admin's place to impose his view of the world but to reflect what the community wants and when it wants different things - to moderate between them in the interests of all - party poopers included!

Admin
Last edited by admin on 21 Jul 2006 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Juwlz

logging in

Post by Juwlz »

Thanks blushingsnail! :D
DaveT

difficulties of communication

Post by DaveT »

I think that everybody who communicates should be aware that any form of interaction, whether debate or conversation, will always have room for misunderstanding. People have different backgrounds, and even the same person could be in a good mood, bad mood, or any other "mood" at the moment of reading.

All to often I read and respond. When I read again, I find that it could have been read a completely different way to my first reading.

So, all I would ask is that people _try_ to read others posts twice, and accept that it is unlikely that no two people will understand a post in exactly the same way.

Also, I vote yay, STF is a good and useful forum. Entertaining as well !
Knighton

Re: Mass debate

Post by Knighton »

Juwlz wrote: Who are you to tell people what they should be offended by?
Actually I did not. I stated my view that name calling and defamation are inappropriate. I also stated much that is consistent with your own post. For the most part I suggested how useful a forum can be if used wisely. Note Admin popped in and drew attention to the rules of the forum which support the point I made about causing offence.

Here are some very wise words which also support and amplify the point I was making:
DaveT wrote:I think that everybody who communicates should be aware that any form of interaction, whether debate or conversation, will always have room for misunderstanding. People have different backgrounds, and even the same person could be in a good mood, bad mood, or any other "mood" at the moment of reading.

All to often I read and respond. When I read again, I find that it could have been read a completely different way to my first reading.

So, all I would ask is that people _try_ to read others posts twice, and accept that it is unlikely that no two people will understand a post in exactly the same way.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Can't see anything I diasgree with there. Damn. :lol:
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Come on. Own up!

Who voted NO? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Annie

Post by Annie »

Haha,
:lol: thing is Knighton, i'm surprised that whoever voted no has even bothered to register if they don't like the forum :?: bit of an odd ball i expect. :lol:
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Free speech is important. However one might expect those who have a problem with the forum to state why. :? Clearly, if someone believes a forum is a bad idea under any circumstances, then you would expect them not to participate at all. :shock:

The only conclusion I feel inclined to draw is that we have a couple of mischief makers at large.... :twisted: or perhaps it is their warped idea of humour. :roll: