Welcome to SE London?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Jwana

Welcome to SE London?

Post by Jwana »

Hi there

Just wanted to say that I finally made it from Australia to the UK & am now living in Sydenham - thanks to all those on the forum who helped out with advice, tips on housing etc.

So far I'm really enjoying living in the area & seem to have friendly neighbours which is great

The only blot on the landscape is that on our first night here my 18 year old daughter caught a train into London Bridge to meet a friend at around 9pm. A large group of teenage boys got on at Honour Oak & sat around her - at first they were just mucking around throwing bits of paper at each other & then at her so she just ignored them. But then they started hitting each other with rolled up newspapers & then began really belting my daughter around the head & back as well - she's pretty small so even though they were "only" hitting her with newspapers it really hurt!

Thanks to the "leader" of the group they finally stopped - he was at the other end of the carriage & when he realised what was happening came & yelled at the boys. They got off at the next stop thankfully & then another man on the carriage approached my daughter & said he was sorry for not helping her & offered to take her to the police - so thank you to him as well.

Not a great introduction to SE London but we realise we are in a big city now so will have to toughen up a bit. I just hope this is not a regular train experience! :?

Anyway, guys I wish you all a wonderful Xmas & hope lots of good things come to you in 2008!

Cheers
Jwana :D
Jules

Post by Jules »

Jwana
I am so so sorry and ashamed, that your Daughter had such a frightening introduction into London life. I can only hope her experience does not deter her from enjoying London.
Unfortunately there are people within our society that take pleasure in intimidating vulnerable people whom are easy targets for their pleasure and not very many passers by have the courage to help and intervene, but at least someone came to her aide after the attack.
I travel every day as a commuter on that line and have never felt vulnerable, but Saturday and Sunday evenings when there are not very many people about, the trains can sometimes turn into playgrounds for kids with nothing better to do.
I'd suggest your Daughter may find travelling earlier in the evening to London before 7pm, a bit more comfortable, there are usually plenty of 'normal' people around then.
Coming home from London to Sydenham, the trains are generally busy all the time, so she should feel safe enough.

I hope you and your family enjoy London life and esp Sydenham life.
London is a great city and i hope you come to love living in Sydenham.

Merry Christmas.
Jules
x
Jwana

Post by Jwana »

Hi Jules

Thank you for your welcome & sound suggestions...but you don't need to feel ashamed. London, like all places, will offer 'good' & 'bad' experiences but thank you for your comments.

I'm sure I will enjoy living in London & more importantly in Sydenham! Best wishes for a wonderful year in 2008!

Cheers
Jwana :D
mosy

Post by mosy »

It's very disconcerting when this sort of thing happens to one's offspring, especially since one wasn't there so, as a parent, one can feel a helplessness for quite a while. *hug* Have to keep stiff upper lip though and keep going - the alternative would be to become a recluse, so have to say "Hey Ho".

Aside from travelling time, or getting cabs instead, I would suggest that your daughter carries as little as possible in her handbag (e.g. avoid bank cards etc that could be cloned or misused and anything else that you don't want to lose. A woman's handbag is like a kitchen sink, so best leave at home anything where there is no backup (e.g. address books etc).

Also, carry at least one emergency number written on a clothing label or somewhere for when one's mind goes blank or if, God forbid, one is injured.

My positive approach is the Boy Scouts' "Be Prepared" that if things do happen, be sure peeps know where you are (at least vaguely), have her friend's mobile number (and a friend's mum and dad's home phone etc). Expected time of return etc...

Sorry I've switched between parent / child above, but hopefully you'll catch my drift. To me, it's just bad news if one's in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

The trains on this line are usually ok.
You probably should have complained to the police because they could have looked at the CCTV.