Taxi's parking on Mayow Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
TheBenga

Taxi's parking on Mayow Road

Post by TheBenga »

Hey all,

Not sure how many of this you affects but I wondered if anyone else is bothered by the illegally parked taxi's on Mayow Road near the end of Bishopsthorpe.

Every day there are between 5-8 cabs, riding the pavement, parking on double yellows, pumping out fumes and making crossing dangerous.

I often see the traffic wardens walking straight past them, does anyone think they may be paying them off?

TB
Rachael

Re: Taxi's parking on Mayow Road

Post by Rachael »

They've been doing this for years. I didn't know they were parking on double-yellow lines, though. Maybe take a snap and send it to the cab company. I doubt the wardens are being paid off, but who knows.

They can sometimes obstruct traffic by parking too close to the end of Burghill Road and they LOVE to pull out or pull in suddenly. They quite often play chicken with the buses pulling into the stop just before the park (heading in Forest Hill direction).
mosy

Post by mosy »

Interesting question about who is responsible for policing "on-pavement" parking and cars (taxis or generally) parked illegally and with engine running.. Anyone know?

I'm not sure that parking wardens monitoring legitimate spaces are, nor that PCSO's are (one I asked pointing to a car blocking the pavement said not), so who if anyone is? Extend that to parking where not supposed to with engine running = fumes for several minutes while waiting (here it's for a train to arrive).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I detest parking on the pavement.

The pavement is for pedestrians .

They should be hung drawn and quartered , if not too good for them.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:I detest parking on the pavement.
The pavement is for pedestrians .
I have to totally agree with you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eagle wrote: They should be hung drawn and quartered , if not too good for them.
Hmmm, not sure I'd go that far. :lol:
Wouldn't a fine or points on their license for obstruction be enough to deter? :wink:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How often do people get prosecuted for parking on the pavements ??

If I could be sure they would get 6 points then that would be OK.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Eagle I agree , bit like cycling on pavements, first one moron does it then it somehow becomes normalised .
I do think there is more and more parking on pavements - why outside the barber's opposite Home Park for instance?
My main objection is that it looks uncivilised and damages the pavement but it must be a hazard to visually impaired people, buggies and pedestrians who can't see to cross safely .

Possibly your hanging and quartering proposal was a tad gothic but I'm 100% with you re points - as a car driver points on the licence is the thing that prevents me being as stupid as I could otherwise be - I'd go for 3 points for first conviction , 6 for second , and hanging (suspended?) for further offences.

A very good evening
Nigel
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle wrote:How often do people get prosecuted for parking on the pavements ??

If I could be sure they would get 6 points then that would be OK.
I once got a ticket because I had (unintentionally) left about two inches of the outside of one tyre on a very low pavement.

I paid it, of course.
coll

Post by coll »

This has been going on for years. At times the minicab drivers can be aggressive in their driving and antisocial in their actions. On several occasions BC (Before the Cafe) I would often walk past drivers urinating in the corner by the bus station or just in the entrance of the park. I’ve confronted them and they have become aggressive.

However, I wonder if it is more apparent with the influx of mummies parking along the same strip – often illegally, often double-parking, blocking the road to have chat with other mummies. This is very much adding to the traffic mess along that bit of road.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am horrified . Parking on pavement , double parking and public urination. This is leafy Mayow Road , home to the gentry.

Where are the Police. All these offences deserve at instant ban.

Perhaps Councillors could get Police involved.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:I am horrified . Parking on pavement , double parking and public urination. This is leafy Mayow Road , home to the gentry.

Where are the Police. All these offences deserve at instant ban.

Perhaps Councillors could get Police involved.
Does that include Shifford Path? If someone uses a camera then emails pics to the dept that deals with these traffic offences etc.

My camera still has Ilford film in it...
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

If I see anything illegal I usually take a note of the registration number - as well as time and place. I then call into London Cars in Station Approach to ask them if it is one of their drivers and if so request that they don't do it again. A gentle word is often the best approach. If this doesn't work then escalate to the SNT and traffic wardens.