Crystal Palace Sports Centre to be Decimated

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Crystal Palace Sports Centre to be Decimated

Post by admin »

On BBC London News tonight but a consultation was lauched a week ago. Never heard about the biggest change to the Park since the 1960s? Catch up here:

http://sydenham.org.uk/crystal-palace-s ... decimated/

Admin
Eagle

Re: Crystal Palace Sports Centre to be Decimated

Post by Eagle »

Sounds serious to lose 10% of the existing centre.

Not sure how this fits in with the new proposals for the Park.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Proposals seem to be driven by the need for more primary school places - and these are needed. Also an assumption that the running track can be decommissioned now there are the Olympic facilities in East London. The removal of the track would then free up space for the school.

Seems as though its a rush job though - no time is available to properly consider based on current schedule though I'm sure things won't happen as quickly. It's not a done deal, but needs proper comment back on proposals.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Eagle wrote:Dare I say this is caused by mass immigration
Absolutely! Will you be wanting to deport me back to the Black Country? Yep, and UKIP want to deport Lenny Henry to the same place too :)

There will be no more derailing of this important thread on the future of an important community asset to discuss a topic for which a subforum was especially created. Hence posts on this have been removed.

Back on topic please!

Admin
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

School already has a website and accepting interest....feels like a done deal! Such a shame the sports centre isn't the focus of funds. A waste of a fantastic facility in London.
http://www.crystalpalaceprimary.org.uk
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

This seems very sudden?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

A reminder, flagged up by Admin in his first posting, about the poorly advertised Consultations.

There are two opportunities to meet and ask questions of representatives of the GLA in the National Sports Centre:

on Thursday,16 October from 5pm - 9 pm
and
on Saturday 18 October from 9.30 am - 5 pm

The NSC is likely to be quite busy...
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Interesting article in the New Shopper about athletes objection to the proposal.
Unfortunately I have forgotten how to do links, do you paste the address in the middle of the URL sign?
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

So much for the Olympic legacy.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Annie. wrote:Interesting article in the New Shopper about athletes objection to the proposal.
Unfortunately I have forgotten how to do links, do you paste the address in the middle of the URL sign?
Here's the link: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11536 ... ion_plans/

(Yes, Annie, you click the URL button then paste the link in the middle).

I know one young elite athlete who is competing at national level. She has just completed her GCSEs and started her A-Levels. She trains at CP. If she had to travel to one of the other facilities, that would put a huge strain on her already jam-packed schedule. Fitting in training and study is a huge commitment.
RunnerEternal

Post by RunnerEternal »

I have created an e-petition that has been published. Please sign it and please share the link to as many people as you can:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70880
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Rachael wrote:
Annie. wrote:Interesting article in the New Shopper about athletes objection to the proposal.
Here's the link: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11536 ... ion_plans/

(Yes, Annie, you click the URL button then paste the link in the middle).

I know one young elite athlete who is competing at national level. She has just completed her GCSEs and started her A-Levels. She trains at CP. If she had to travel to one of the other facilities, that would put a huge strain on her already jam-packed schedule. Fitting in training and study is a huge commitment.

Thanks Rachael.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

RunnerEternal wrote:I have created an e-petition that has been published. Please sign it and please share the link to as many people as you can:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70880
signed
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Bunty wrote:School already has a website and accepting interest....feels like a done deal! Such a shame the sports centre isn't the focus of funds. A waste of a fantastic facility in London.
http://www.crystalpalaceprimary.org.uk
I wonder what CPFC's take on the matter is.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

As said looks like a done deal.. Strange they have a web site at this stage.

Guess you could say it will have great sporting facilities on hand.

Very sad they have to build there , but as Tim says they have to build somewhere.

MWAV
I know Palace have often looked at moving back to their roots, but would imagine not likely at present.
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

They have to build somewhere, yeah but why demolish a sports facility that's available to everyone? There's plenty of space around Dulwich College. How many rugby pitches does one private school need?
dickp

Post by dickp »

Hmm, its not so much the main building that's planned to be 'decimated' though, is it? Just the athletics building.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dickp wrote:Hmm, its not so much the main building that's planned to be 'decimated' though, is it? Just the athletics building.
It is also the central walkway and much of the stadium. Indeed it is impossible to know how much of the site will be removed because they have not decided yet. Not to mention the access roads that will be necessary slicing our park into two.

Here is, I'm afraid, a rather jaundiced view of last Saturday's 'consultation' plus some views of a local architect:
http://sydenham.org.uk/crystal-palace-s ... sultation/

Admin
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'd be glad for the central concrete walkway to be removed. The plans for the landscaping and returning the sports centre to the original design look good, although the centre has just had millions spent on it including the new gym, but these plans seem to move it.

As for the athletics track, it's not something I would use and it looks run down. I presumed it was no longer used, if so the idea of having a school there with an athletics filed that local athletes could use, if it was all properly designed, sounds like a good idea.

It's not a very good consultation however and it's unclear as to what is changing inside the sports centre, what the replacement for the athletics track will look like etc.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

leenewham wrote:As for the athletics track, it's not something I would use and it looks run down. I presumed it was no longer used, if so the idea of having a school there with an athletics filed that local athletes could use, if it was all properly designed, sounds like a good idea.
It was being heavily used last Saturday. The issue with a school is that, post Dunblane, the grounds have to be secured - hence the high ugly fences that surround our schools these days. That's the point - an unknown area of land is going to be fenced off. I don't see how fences will disappear after 4pm, weekends and holidays.

The issue of the consultation is that no thought appears to have been applied to this and solutions sought. Hence it is prudent to fear the worst.

Admin