Hallowe'en in Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Hallowe'en in Sydenham?

Post by Tim Lund »

I saw a poster today in the window of The Cake Store, but a photograph it would have had too much reflected in it.

Anyone else have any details?
mosy

Re: Hallowe'en in Sydenham?

Post by mosy »

I imagine it's advertising the parade that I reported here: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12063

Chris Best said at the time that flyers were already being prepared so that local participating shops could display them, so perhaps it's one of those that you saw?

To repeat:
The details I'm given are that it will take place again this year:
- Fri 31 Oct, 4-5pm
- Costume competition following at the Sydenham Centre.

If it's not this one, perhaps something else is going on also?
mosy

Post by mosy »

For the cooks among us, there are several TV programmes on Food Network (Freeview Ch.42) during today, Sunday. Should show lots of spooky treats :)
multisync

Post by multisync »

Who gives a F---- about Halloween >It is something bought over from America which would have been better left there.Just an excuse to put masks and costumes on and frighten vulnerable people!!!!!
mosy

Post by mosy »

I think you'll find it's "Trick or treat" that's been brought over from America, not Halloween itself.

Vulnerable people should never feel threatened - that is just wrong if they are in any way.

The Sydenham children's event is attended by accompanied youngsters who just enjoy the occasion so shouldn't be associated with any less wholesome activity.

There's probably a way of reporting anything scary - I'm sure Tim Lund posted a "no Halloween callers" police message that could be put on one's door... (I've forgotten which thread now, sorry).
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

mosy wrote:- I'm sure Tim Lund posted a "no Halloween callers" police message that could be put on one's door... (I've forgotten which thread now, sorry).

Crime Prevention Advice Over Halloween

While Halloween can undoubtedly be a great deal of fun, it can also be a particularly distressing time of year for some of the more vulnerable members of our communities - especially the elderly. With this in mind, Perry Vale SNT is urging trick or treaters to think carefully about which doors they knock on this Halloween. Better still, why not just stay at home and have a Halloween themed party with your friends and neighbours.
SNTs are also distributing this poster

which can be downloaded as a pdf here
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Here's the poster sent out with the SydSoc newsletter

Sydenham Halloween 2014

Trick or treat in Sydenham High Street

Starts at 4pm Friday 31 October

Are you feeling brave?? If so, join the Halloween High Street Trail collecting treats and spooking high street traders and shoppers while you go. All Spooks meet at 4pm at Sugahill, Here for Good, the Coop or the Sydenham Centre to pick up your Trail Map.

At 5pm gather at the Sydenham Centre where prizes will be given for the best outfits in each category.

40 participating businesses taking part - so there's lots of goodies on offer!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

That looks fantastic, I hope you all have fun :D
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

Great event yesterday, Sydenham was really buzzing so many little ones so much fun.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

A massive thank you to all those that organised it and to all of the businesses that participated. Your generosity and enthusiasm made it a fantastic and memorable event for my children.