Where the chuff does one start with a new kitchen?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leenewham

Re: Where the chuff does one start with a new kitchen?

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree with J Robinson and it sounds like we have similar kitchens!

We got a general builder too. I added some shelves I fitted out of offcuts of the kitchen worktop. We make a kitchen table out of a table someone throw out and left in the street and a sewing machine base we bought for a tenner. We also did the fireplace thing with the cooker and an extractor that vents into the chimney.

We also put the washing machine and dryer in a cupboard which are stacked on vibration feet which works really well (we had to reinforce the cupboard).

You can get led bulbs (gu10 fitting) for about a fiver these days. Don't get Phillips ones though, they are rubbish and don't last. 5 out of 8 of ours stopped working within 3 months. All the others we found are fine. 5w each is enough with about 8 bulbs to light a decent size kitchen.

We did our kitchen on a budget as building works cost far more than we thought, but it looks more expensive than it is.

One other thing, keeping kitchens clean is a constant struggle. Flat fronted units (ours are gloss white) are east to clean. Darker ones tend to hide dirt and non flat ones trap dirt, which isn't such a good thing (and they are more expensive).

Good luck.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I certainly agree with having flush, not panelled, cupboard doors, the latter being dust & drip collectors. Ditto "og"-carved skirting boards - madness in a kitchen!

I'm afraid I disagree with having anything dark that doesn't show the muck as surely a kitchen is the one place where you want to see muck so as to clean it away? Dark floors also encourage laziness (out of sight out of mind) at least until feet start sticking to them :shock:

Some linoleum floor coverings are crazy being indented (muck traps), although smooth ones can be lethal when wet. It's one of the biggest decisions, as once laid with appliances sitting on it, it's very difficult to change.

On floors, it's worth checking that outside wall airbricks underfloor are clear and possibly install a couple more. This because modern appliances aren't built to last and could probably leak sooner or later which if left can lead to dry rot and drip-leak problems are often excluded from insurance.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Agree a good builder is great. We did a kitchen refit last year and our builder stripped out all the old kitchen, did floor, walls, fitted the ikea units we had chosen, put in the oven, hob, fridge, did the plumbing , lighting etc. and it looks great, really pleased with it. ( lighting is another thing to plan) we got separate company to do a worktop and glass splashback. Now onto the bathroom....
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Don't go to Bathstore Geri! They are an appalling company.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Yes, bathrooms are a whole new area. Who knew there were so many taps, valves, shower heads, tiles etc. to choose from. Not going to Bathstore, Lee, have had warnings about them. Our builder recommends MDS which is in Kangley Bridge Rd. Graham there is a very nice guy.
furnituresolutions

Post by furnituresolutions »

Hi,

For a little cost (£5/sgm) I can create bespoke, simple sketch for you and also give many ideas and tips, get quotes from several suppliers and builders if needed. Which can be free if you order sg from us. We are creative cabinet makers, but also can do any design, carpentry work, fittings, decoration, renovation....
Call me if you are looking for sg special but not too pricee or even if you just need any help.
Balint 07546988592
Wood & Furniture Solutions Ltd. search on the google
GillM

Post by GillM »

Can anyone recommend a good general builder in the area. I want a quote for a new bathroom fit-out. Thanks.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

I would definitely recommend my builder, but he's incredibly busy and hard to pin down, you have to be prepared for a wait. I could give you his details if you PM me. As a guide he charges around £3,500 for a bathroom refit, and that's the labour, add all your sinks, showers etc on top.
WeatherGirl

Post by WeatherGirl »

I never said thank you for all your replies. I had to take a break from looking at kitchens as my brain was starting to go a little fuzzy around the edges. I'm taking a deep breath and starting again.

Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated.
dickp

Post by dickp »

What everyone else said, but with one extra comment. My parents have a sparkly shiny work top which notionally look great but they hate because it shows every single mark. So we opted for a matt finish to avoid that problem -it was cheaper too. I just we'd read more sink reviews. Ours is a limescale marks magnet, so I wish we'd gone for a colour other than stainless steel.