Regency Club

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Regency Club

Post by G-Man »

A bit of a resurrection with talk of the Pavilion and the Greyhound. I did a quick google search of the Regency Club and found this thread.

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 824#p89824

What if the Regency Club became a new hang out for bright young and old things? Imagine if the inside is unchanged how fab and 'original retro' it would be? Imagine if the ballroom started holding community events - it could even become a small cinema?

Can the space be brought back to life? And if so how? What do people know?

G-Man
sydenhamboy

Re: Regency Club

Post by sydenhamboy »

Why don't we all drop Antic an email and ask them to have another go with Sydenham? You/we could mention the Regency option - although I still like the idea of them sorting out the Greyhound if they agree on more space this time. Do they have anything to do with the wine bar that's been mentioned in previous posts (near the DIY shop) … ?

Let's make a decent pub/bar a priority for 2014. I think if enough send emails etc. then they'll know it's a reasonable business investment. Especially if we mention the 'improved' high street. Which it is!
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I e-mailed a whole bunch of places a few weeks back when I was getting all sorts of excited about the prospect of moving to Sydenham (still in process but fingers crossed things are going well/looking good) and the chat about pubs. Here is a list of the places I mailed (and the best found contact emails) - not sure best way to mass email and not sure if people would rather aim for one specific company aka Antic or a wider variety. I'm no local (yet) so will leave it in all of your capable hands (especially as they have all already received an email from me!):

Late Knights Brewery - Through website - http://www.lateknightsbrewery.co.uk/con ... ct-us.html
Capital Pub Company - enquiries@capitalpubcompany.com
Antic - bossesear@anticlondon.com
Camden Bars - info@camdenbars.com (recently moved south of the river for the first time recently)
Fullers - fullers@fullers.co.uk

One I didn't but definately worth a go after another search is Renaissance Pubs (A number of slightly upmarket but very nice gastropubs in South London) - feedback@renaissancepubs.co.uk
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Thanks JLMF

I have a contact at Antic. I'll email them details of the Regency. I'll also see if I can get a contact at Geronimo. Happy to contact Late Knights too, unless someone has a specific contact there?

Does anyone have a contact at SE London CAMRA? Might be worth tapping into their resources?

G-Man
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I went to the Effra social club last night in Brixton on my way to a gig. It was an old conservative club that closed in 2012. Antic bought/leased it. Moved in and had to do practically nothing to it. All the furniture was there so they just set up shop.

It got me an G-lady talking about the Regency club again. I can't find any details online. It appears everything has been removed. Is something a foot?

G-Man
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Hey G-Man. I do know that people have looked at the space and were quoted millions by architects just to get it useable again. Its owned by the same landlord who owns all of Cobbs Corner. There are also issues with accessibility which I think go against current regulations.

A pipe dream I had when we were talking to the previous owners of Zanzibar was that the Regency might be a possible project off the back of that, but you would need investors with a few bob. Antic's most recent projects have been those they haven't had to spend much money on so I would be surprised if they'd take on a venue like this that needs considerable investment.