Cycling course

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Mayowthorpe

Cycling course

Post by Mayowthorpe »

I am looking for advice on a quiet cycling course - preferably out in Kent somewhere.

I am training for an event, and have a car - so the plan is to drive out of London to a quiet rural area, and cycle a few laps of a 10-15 mile course early in the morning.

Does anyone locally know a good route I could consider?
stuart

Re: Cycling course

Post by stuart »

Is this event a Time Trial - ie a fast race - or a slow charity type event. What is your current level of fitness?

There are many routes of varying length, and just importantly, height if you are serious about Kent. We post ours on MapMyRide.com. There are many others. Cycle Clubs are the font of all knowledge on routes gathered over the years or passed down the generations and updated with road condition and traffic.

Do consider picking their brains. They range from very slow runs to a cafe for those now too old to walk to fully lycrad gorillas astride thin strips of carbon doing 30mph uphill. If you can give some idea of what you are targeting then I can possibly point you in the best direction (PM if you prefer).

Remember the basic geography. There are the North Downs which run along just north of the M25. With one exception (the horrid A23) it means going up and down twice if you start this side. The area south of there (Surrey) is mainly flat with lots of pretty and quiet lanes as far as the South Downs in Sussex. Go South East into Kent (Westerham and beyond) you run into Ide Hill, Toys Hill etc which is very exercising. South West (Surrey again) beyond Dorking you get Ranmore Common and Leith Hill. The tower on top of the latter takes it over a thousand feet I believe if you like climbing. I don't!

Stuart - My club is http://anerleybc.org
_HB

Post by _HB »

I cycle with Dulwich Paragon so know the Kent lanes South of London like the back of my hand. Would happily plot you a nice route that would work for you. But Stuart is basically spot on, head out towards Westerham via Layhams Road and you'll have miles and miles of quiet lanes.

Dulwich do a free introductory ride on the first Sunday of every month which follows a regular club route on those lanes (starting at Herne Hill). Might be worth going along.

Alternatively, the Lee Valley Velo Park in Stratford has a one mile outdoor road course that you can accesss for £6 a go. It's a nice track with a lovely surface and obviously no traffic to worry about.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your responses, they are greatly appreciated.

I am training for a half-ironman (two actually), and have previously cycled the End-to-End, but have been limited to only cycling at the gym of late. I see the Dulwich riders out quite a bit, and am tempted to get along - so I might pop down this Sunday. I am not a big fan of cycling in Central London, and hence the post. I love cycling, but hate the traffic (but don't mind the hills); and generally try and exercise early morning (from sunrise).

I don't see myself as being super fast, but keep a solid pace throughout my rides. Ideally, the course I am looking for would be a loop where I could cycle around 60 miles with limited traffic and decent roads.

Ultimately, I would like to cycle more regularly, so will look into your clubs as a longer-term option.

Thanks again!
_HB

Post by _HB »

Whoops, it's the first Saturday of every month!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Yes Dulwich is probably the best way to go. If you find them a bit tough then do consider The Anerley - or if you want to join us for a leisurely legstretcher just prior to the event. Otherwise the Addiscombe might do you well. They are a huge club with carefully graded speed groups (the slowest is 15mph, never asked about the fastest but they do move). They have fixed courses usually passing through Charlwood so flat territory

Never did a LEJOG, never fancied the A38/Cornish/Devonian mountains but did LONJOG in 2012 which was a little shorter but really nice going up via York in 8 days. Flatter and drier. Talking of the A38 have you been following Steve Abraham's attempt to beat Tommy Godwin's 75,000 miles in 365 days 1939 record? Steve sadly came to grief in the path of a (reportedly) drunken moped rider on that lethal road just this side of Exeter on Sunday. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=80.0

Stuart
_HB

Post by _HB »

Something depressingly apt about a year record attempt on British roads being ended by a drunken hit and run, don't you think?
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

My friend runs a low key club out of Beckenham. Let me know if you want me to pm details. Their season starts this weekend.

http://www.odpec.co.uk/Home.html
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

I will see how I get on over coming weeks, and look into some of the clubs that have been mentioned.

Some lovely riding weather coming up this week!