Fox Cubs -Sydenham Road / Newlands Park

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
chrisj1948

Fox Cubs -Sydenham Road / Newlands Park

Post by chrisj1948 »

We have found that there are five fox cubs living under our shed. I think they are 3-4 weeks old since their fur is still rather sparse and grey and their eyesight is poor. They abandon all caution for a packet of cat food. They are mega-cute.

Regards
Chris
Kirkdalian

Re: Fox Cubs -Sydenham Road / Newlands Park

Post by Kirkdalian »

They are kind of cute. Hope for your sake they move on before they start mating and fighting over territory though!
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

Isn't it wise to ask RSPCA or similar to remove them and re home them somewhere less urban..?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Another friend had some foxes in similar close proximity.

And later fleas beyond number.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Bunty wrote:Isn't it wise to ask RSPCA or similar to remove them and re home them somewhere less urban..?
:-) But they are the latest of many generations of urban foxes; connoisseurs of kebabs and chicken takeaways, who view their country cousins who still scratch a living for earthworms with amused contempt!

Tim: We have been feeding foxes for years now and there are always plenty around. I doubt if the flea situation will get any worse.

Regards
Chris
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

It might be something to do with having been brought up in a village with an active beagle pack and being completely unsentimental about wildlife, but it always amazes me when I encounter sentimental gushing about vermin. Do people feel the same way about rats? In those days, we used to send the terriers into the fox lairs and any cubs that were flushed were thrown to the beagles. We had the bloody things under a shed in a previous house and the damage they did, and their excretory excesses, were disgusting. The only place for a fox cub is at the business end of a large dog.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

sparticus wrote:It might be something to do with having been brought up in a village with an active beagle pack and being completely unsentimental about wildlife, but it always amazes me when I encounter sentimental gushing about vermin. Do people feel the same way about rats? In those days, we used to send the terriers into the fox lairs and any cubs that were flushed were thrown to the beagles. We had the bloody things under a shed in a previous house and the damage they did, and their excretory excesses, were disgusting. The only place for a fox cub is at the business end of a large dog.
What about tree rats (squirells)? I quite like them even though they are basically cute rats that dig up the garden
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

"On Saturday, I went out fox-hunting – seven hours in the saddle,” Friedrich Engels wrote to his great friend Karl Marx in 1857. “That sort of thing always keeps me in a state of devilish excitement for several days; it’s the greatest physical pleasure I know. I saw only two out of the whole field who were better horsemen than myself, but then they were also better mounted… At least 20 of the chaps fell off or came down, two horses were done for, one fox killed (I was in AT THE DEATH).”
Source here
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

I knew Fred was a bit of a plutocrat but the hunting angle is a new one on me so thanks for that, more ammunition when I argue with my left wing friends about the iniquity of the hunting ban. Of course beagling was a much more democratic affair, though some public schools and Oxbridge colleges had them, a few still do apparently. The pack in my village was run by the local pub. Most beagle packs went after hares and rabbits- foxes were a bit of a sideline but we did have terriers for the rabbits. Beagle packs were usually followed on foot. We rarely caught anything. It was an excuse for a ramble in the country with dogs and like-minded people. I had my first proper sexual experience in a shed whilst following the beagles!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

sparticus wrote:I knew Fred was a bit of a plutocrat but the hunting angle is a new one on me so thanks for that, more ammunition when I argue with my left wing friends about the iniquity of the hunting ban. Of course beagling was a much more democratic affair, though some public schools and Oxbridge colleges had them, a few still do apparently. The pack in my village was run by the local pub. Most beagle packs went after hares and rabbits- foxes were a bit of a sideline but we did have terriers for the rabbits. Beagle packs were usually followed on foot. We rarely caught anything. It was an excuse for a ramble in the country with dogs and like-minded people. I had my first proper sexual experience in a shed whilst following the beagles!
With a beagle?
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

sparticus wrote:I knew Fred was a bit of a plutocrat but the hunting angle is a new one on me so thanks for that, more ammunition when I argue with my left wing friends about the iniquity of the hunting ban. Of course beagling was a much more democratic affair, though some public schools and Oxbridge colleges had them, a few still do apparently. The pack in my village was run by the local pub. Most beagle packs went after hares and rabbits- foxes were a bit of a sideline but we did have terriers for the rabbits. Beagle packs were usually followed on foot. We rarely caught anything. It was an excuse for a ramble in the country with dogs and like-minded people. I had my first proper sexual experience in a shed whilst following the beagles!
I can see why you might hunt foxes with dogs after all you aint gonna be eaten them so it dont matter if they get ripped to bits by the doogs but why bother hunting hares and rabbit that way? Surly it make much more sense to just shoot them so at least you got somethin tp put in the pot. I know before I cam to the UK an I went off into the countrysiide to see the cousins thats what my cousins did me too I shot rabbits and hares a couple of times. Rabbit cooked in red wine with like garlic and onions and rosemasry mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

I was there the other week. Nice place.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

A fortnight on, and the cubs look much more like foxes now. We think that there are only three left of the original five. It is a real squeeze for them to get out from under the shed now. They are more alert and cautious than they used to be.

Regards
Chris
dacreswood

Post by dacreswood »

chrisj1948 wrote:A fortnight on, and the cubs look much more like foxes now. We think that there are only three left of the original five. It is a real squeeze for them to get out from under the shed now. They are more alert and cautious than they used to be.

Regards
Chris
How does the vixen get in and out?
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

dacreswood wrote:How does the vixen get in and out?
The shed is exposed on two sides, and then has a 15" gap to fences on the remaining two. We tend to stuff rolled up garden furniture covers, gazebos and suchlike in the gap entrances. I surmise that the vixen has an entrance in the enclosed region. A few minutes ago I heard a noise from one of the gaps, moved some tarps, and saw a charming little cub, who would probably have come up to me if the fabric pile had been a bit more secure. There is certainly a lair entrance somewhere at the rear of the shed.

Regards
Chris
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

A milestone has been reached. At about 04:30 yesterday FoxCam picked up one of the cubs out in the garden at the food tray. A few minutes later the vixen, whom we have not seen for several weeks, put in an appearance. She must have started taking them out.

Regards
Chris
alywin

Post by alywin »

All I can say is that I hope you don't have anyone anywhere in the vicinity who leaves unsecured bags of soiled nappies around, otherwise you may find your attitude to the cute cubs changing rather rapidly (she says from experience).
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Soiled nappies would be a small price to pay for the enjoyment we get from the cubs. The snap below was taken about 20 minutes ago. They get visibly bigger every day.

Regards
Chris

stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

sparticus wrote:It might be something to do with having been brought up in a village with an active beagle pack and being completely unsentimental about wildlife, but it always amazes me when I encounter sentimental gushing about vermin. Do people feel the same way about rats? In those days, we used to send the terriers into the fox lairs and any cubs that were flushed were thrown to the beagles. We had the bloody things under a shed in a previous house and the damage they did, and their excretory excesses, were disgusting. The only place for a fox cub is at the business end of a large dog.

Shame they've banned bull baiting and witch burning as well these days isnt it?