RARE!!

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

RARE!!

Post by Falkor »

This should have been included in the walk around the nave...
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Someone's been to Iceland, I mean Croydon!

Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives

Level 3, Central Library
Croydon Clocktower,
Katharine Street,
Croydon, CR9 1ET
Tel: 020 8760 5400 ext 1112
Fax: 020 8253 1012

E-mail: localstudies@croydon.gov.uk

Opening Hours:
Monday - 9am - 7pm
Tuesday - 9am - 6pm
Wednesday - 9am - 6pm
Thursday - 9.30am - 6pm
Friday - 9am - 6pm
Saturday - 9am - 5pm

I have been trying to source my own copy of the Pictorial Times, so I don't have to rip off the library.

The Library and Reading rooms seem to have moved to behind the Byzantine Court, after the intallation of the Orchestra in 1857? It remained there even after the fire of 1866.

There's an unusual panoramic print of the Orchestra by Photochrom at the Handel at Crystal Palace Exhibition at the Foundling Museum.

Handel and the Crystal Palace
23 November 2007 - 2 March 2008

The Foundling Museum
40 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AZ
T: 020 7841 3600 // F: 020 7841 3601

Open: Tuesday – Sat 10am–6pm, Sunday 12–6pm.

Easter Weekend: CLOSED on Friday 21 and Sunday 23

Admission: £5, concessions £4, children up to 16 years FREE

They also have the volume of Crystal Palace Magazines circa 1900's from Croydon Library.

I will be adding to the "Walk through the Nave" thread when I get over this flu!
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 27 Jan 2008 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Sorry to hear you've got the flu! I just got over it a couple of weeks ago myself... You may have caught the same bug as me... It seems to be going around quite a lot lately. Did you know: in your lifetime, you've probably breathed in some of the same oxygen atoms that were also inhaled by the great visionaries: Joseph Paxton and Baird! I hope that makes you feel better, mate.

I'm heading down LMA next to find that bloody picture of the Croydon Canal...
tulse hill terry

Re: RARE!!

Post by tulse hill terry »

Been meaning to put back these pictures that Falkor removed

Temperence Fete.

View of the Crystal Palace. From Penge Lane

Ethardo.

The Reading Room of the Crystal Palace.

Miggy6

Re: RARE!!

Post by Miggy6 »

Hello,
There are some wonderful images of Ethardo the ball runner on this web-site that I have never seen before. I am researching a contemporary of Ethardo (who also performed as Ethair) who also performed the "globe Roulante". I would love to obtain copies of these images of Ethardo, and would like to know if yu have any further information about him. I know that he was in South Africa in 1861-2 with Hiram Franklin (an american acrobat and equestrian) and the Stevens family of acrobats. He was back in England with his family and the Stevens family, so he was lucky to not continue with Hiram Franklin. Franklin and his family were lost at sea on the way to India in 1862. Another close miss was Leon Leroy and his wife margaret (nee Stevens) who had stayed in South Africa to attend to some business with the intention of following and meeting up with Franklin in India.

There is a very good chance that my acrobat, a Frenchman Jean Klaer, learnt the globe act from a similar teacher to Ethardo, as the two were contemporaries. There are no images that are certainly of Jen performing the act. He died in 1863 in Callao Peru- so I guess there was not the chance...

The links to the person who posted these images do not seem to be working. Does anyone know how I could reach them?

I would love to obtain copies, if possible, that i would like to include in my thesis.

With the kindest regards,

Margaret Kirby (Australia)