Mayow park gym trail

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Whiftoff

Mayow park gym trail

Post by Whiftoff »

What's the chance of getting some Clapham common style pull up bar equipment added to the existing gym trail in mayow park?

http://youtu.be/r-olMv5deM8
Eagle

Re: Mayow park gym trail

Post by Eagle »

Walking through Mayow Park on Sat'day I was very impressed with all the changes.

Readily available exercise equipment and nice coffee shop.

One question though. Why have they left the metal shack where the old wooded shelter used to be. Surely this metal monster serves no purpose and brings down the whole park
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Eagle
I think the metal shack is where the bowls club change and store gear , having vacated the old pavillion - I agree it is ugly and it would be nice to replace it with something nicer .
Good to see you back btw
A very good morning
Nigel
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

The existing equipment is really good and seems well used. There's always people using it when I walk through the park on the way to and from work. Would just be good if there were a few additional higher ‘bar based’ apparatus for body weight exercise. I think the ideal site would be where the old cricket net frame that got hit by a tree is (opposite the existing equipment).

http://www.muddyplimsolls.com/map-locat ... y-pin=7835
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Nigel for your kind comments.

Are we talking about the same structure. It is at the Mayow Rd entrance near Dacres Rd . It used to be a nice wooden structure will many seats , i think for watching the cricket. It is now simply an ugly metal roof with no sides.

Such a shame that such an ugly structure is in such a nice park.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nigel & Eagle are talking about different things.

The converted container definitely has sides, painted dark green, and is on its way to being screened by vegetation planted for that purpose. The Bowls club is no more, but it is used by the cricketers and anyone hiring the Bowls Green, e.g for private events - for which contact Glendale.

The structure Eagle refers to is the other side of the cricket field.

I've posted a link to this thread in the Friends of Mayow Park Facebook page.

Agree Whitoff re the Trim Trail.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

It would be great if the bowls green was used again.

In Peckham Rye park they have the bowls available for people to hire/borrow from the cafe and people can just have a go. They have tables and chairs next to the green, it's proved really successful and is much fun.

G-Man
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

In my opinion, Mayow Park is by far the best park in Sydenham, what with the Café, the awesome Grow Mayow, the Cricket and the Trim Trail (I live nearby so am a bit biased). There’s definitely potential to make better use of the Bowling Green and as previously mentioned, a small investment in some gym bars to add a bit of diversity to the existing equipment.

Also, would love to see Mayow Park make return as an Arts Festival venue. The whacky races from 2013 were really good as was the open cinema. The live electronic music in Grow Mayow was also great but appreciate how that probably didn’t go down too well with the neighbours to the back.
sydres

Post by sydres »

Agree with the above - the park goes from strength to strength and it's a credit to all those who work hard to keep it looking great. I've been wondering whether there is scope for a link up with the high street, which in my opinion would benefit from further greenery.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Mayow Park is looking amazing! The park is a pretty sight when empty around sunrise, and is such a happy environment during the day when full of families! Its great to have so many putting in to keep the park in such great shape!

Hopefully the reduction in Park Ranger coverage has no material impact on the condition of the park over time.

I only recently noticed the bowling green is available for hire; which I was not aware of before I saw the notice on the gate on the weekend. Maybe this could be advertised more widely; as It's a great space, with both leafy privacy as well as plenty of sun. It would suit parties (both childrens and adult), and I agree there should be a way to hire bowls locally for a bowls day.

The only missing link for me is the condition of the paths; I understand this costs money but am hoping Lewisham Council finds funding to update these in due course.

A wonderful asset to Sydenham!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The bowling green would make an amazing outdoor theatre space (I REALLY miss the fantastic performances at the Dolphin, they were the real highlight of the festival for me and it's been missing something since they haven't been on).

Or open air cinema.

I hope the Arts Festival use it in the summer, it could be amazing. They even have changing rooms for the actors!