Sydenham High St Stabbing

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
_HB

Sydenham High St Stabbing

Post by _HB »

Tim Lund

Re: Sydenham High St Stabbing

Post by Tim Lund »

robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Anyone know if the hughstreet is open again?
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

I assume the high street is now open: TFL are saying local buses are back on their normal routes.

Comments on twitter suggest that three guys jumped out of a car and attacked the youth.

Just terrible.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

police tape is gone from outside ladbroikes, I can't see any further up towards Mayow from where I am
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Mayowthorpe wrote:I assume the high street is now open: TFL are saying local buses are back on their normal routes.

Comments on twitter suggest that three guys jumped out of a car and attacked the youth.

Just terrible.
Shocking in broad daylight. Do we know how the victim is? When I picked my daughter up from nursery they said he was dead but the linked article sounded more hopeful
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

The street was opened again at 17:45.
Leese

Post by Leese »

robbieduncan wrote:
Mayowthorpe wrote:I assume the high street is now open: TFL are saying local buses are back on their normal routes.

Just terrible.
Shocking in broad daylight. Do we know how the victim is? When I picked my daughter up from nursery they said he was dead but the linked article sounded more hopeful
While I didn't see the actual event happen, I drove past the immediate aftermath on my way home from an appointment this morning, ie, before the ambulance arrived but while people were trying to help him. At that time, he was still alive, because I could see him breathing (very heavily).

I hope to god he pulls through; I hate that something like this has happened here. It's always felt so safe in comparison to a lot of areas of S. London :(
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

No updates from news outlets, so assuming this chap is still alive. Life seems so cheap with this thuggish behaviour. Presumably there were lots of witnesses to the attack and the aftermath of it, at such a time on the high street outside a supermarket. A sign of the times that such an incredible act of violence in daylight only makes news on a local paper, no mention on BBC TV or ITV local news bulletins (although if he dies there will be a plethora of negative news on the area).
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

alywin

Post by alywin »

Horrible - ghastly for his family and loved ones. I hope they do catch all the perpetrators, and that justice is done.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

How absolutely awful. I was just telling my parents how different Sydenham is to where I lived before (Bethnal Green) and what a great and friendly community there is with no trouble or violence.

So sad, thoughts are with his family and friends.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

alywin wrote:Horrible - ghastly for his family and loved ones. I hope they do catch all the perpetrators, and that justice is done.
I hope justice will start with appropriate offences. Being charged with "for grievous bodily harm with intent" does not seem right. If you stab someone it should be at least attempted murder. In this case drop the attempted.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Robbie

I agree these evil people deserve life ( minimum 25 years ).

One would hope the whole incident tracked by cameras . The more cameras the better I say.

Of course sympathy for the relations and friends of the victim.
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

Eagle wrote:Robbie

I agree these evil people deserve life ( minimum 25 years ).

One would hope the whole incident tracked by cameras . The more cameras the better I say.

Of course sympathy for the relations and friends of the victim.
Agreed. I just hear a 16 year old girl been arrested. What the feck is wrong with people?
_HB

Post by _HB »

somerandombloke wrote:What the feck is wrong with people?
That is the far more pertinent question than the length or scale of punishment. Perhaps we should take this to the pub?
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Apparently a large group approached the victim; with a 16yo young girl stabbing him.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/lewis ... 8_year_old

The witness added "there was increasingly a problem with gangs dealing drugs in the area. He said: "I've lived here for about 10 years and it's really dangerous now"."

I am with Parker1970; I find Sydenham very friendly and safe in general.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I was sad to walk past the Co-op a few minutes ago and see the group of solemn young people gathered at the corner, the rack of tribute flowers, and the sand on the pavement.

Regards
Chris
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Awful. Perhaps it's related to the stabbing in Lewisham at the weekend. Very sad.

Sydenham dangerous? I guess there may be parts but as it goes it's becoming a lot safer. Many people who have lived here a long time have told me that.

G-Man
JQuinn

Post by JQuinn »

Sydenham is by no means the worst place in London, but I certainly know of safer areas too. This website is interesting: http://www.murdermap.co.uk/murder-map.asp