RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nigel

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by Nigel »

It's very telling that I am so exited by the appearance of some scaffolding , a roll of gaffa tape and a flask at the greyhound site today.
Not sure anythings happened yet but is this not the equivalent of beardy men in black tee shirts quietly running guitar leads and twiddling with fold back in readiness for the main act ?
Give it up for the Purelake comeback tour - heard all the songs before but maybe they will get to end of the set this time .
A very good evening
Nigel
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Nigel wrote:Not sure anythings happened yet but is this not the equivalent of beardy men in black tee shirts quietly running guitar leads and twiddling with fold back in readiness for the main act ?
Let's hope their amps go all the way up to eleven!

This week has actually been quite productive so far, with a substantial number of new rafters installed to form the pitched roof and the first of the gables starting to take shape.

Rebuilding the roof might seem a slightly strange thing to do first, but the roof is needed to 'pull in' the walls so that they aren't damaged when the floor which sits below the roof and across the windows at first floor is removed.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Biscuit man - I passed it this evening on the way to cinema club at the Golden Lion ( an exquisite film called " Dhabawallah" or lunchbox - if it doesn't get an Oscar we will know why Scorsese didn't get anything for Goodfellas ) - you are right - progress evident .
Since you allude to Spinal Tap, i only hope Purelake don't order 3cm RSjs when they need 3m RSJs.
Anyway , yes , no , it's all good , as they say .
A very good evening
Nigel
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Work on the Greyhound continues slowly but surely. This week's focus appears to have been on rebuilding the chimneys.

Keen Greyhound watchers may want to check out the Rebuild the Greyhound Twitter feed and the Facebook page, which include a number of 'work in progress' photos - see https://twitter.com/TheGreyhoundSyd and https://www.facebook.com/SaveTheGreyhoundSydenham
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Biscuitman
Much appreciated as ever.
Nice to see the roof timbers all on place .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Last week saw the gable on the left hand side of the front of the building (above the upper floor window) rebuilt.

The gable in the middle of the front of the building has also been part rebuilt, though only up to the point where a porthole window used to sit. Presumably that porthole window will be added in the coming days and the brickwork completed.

The gable on the right hand side of the front building can, I suspect, only be rebuilt once a new lintel is installed above the upper floor window. No doubt that lintel will be added in the coming days.

Work to the gables at the each end of the building was also undertaken last week. Whilst the work is not yet complete, you'll see that the jagged mess of bricks on which the roof will sit is being 'smoothed'.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

For those wanting a view of how it looks from my flat across the street with a level view it is below.... one caveat however, if you figure out where I live and want to go stalker mode on me, you must be male and scantily clad... thanks. :lol:

Last edited by Parker1970 on 26 Jun 2015 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Thanks, Parker1970.

Those with a keen eye for detail will see that the porthole window in the middle gable is now in position (as of this morning) and brickwork is being laid around it.

The brickwork on the right hand gable is also nearly complete, following the installation of a new lintel over the first floor window.

Finally, I think I'm right in saying that some further scaffolding has been added, mainly to increase the height of the pulleys being used to transport materials to first floor and roof level.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:Thanks, Parker1970.

Those with a keen eye for detail will see that the porthole window in the middle gable is now in position (as of this morning) and brickwork is being laid around it.

The brickwork on the right hand gable is also nearly complete, following the installation of a new lintel over the first floor window.

Finally, I think I'm right in saying that some further scaffolding has been added, mainly to increase the height of the pulleys being used to transport materials to first floor and roof level.

No probs, I will post updates roughly weekly if it looks like there have been changes that are very visible to keep everyone in the loop. A bit easier from my viewpoint to see what is going on.
coll

Post by coll »

The building seems to be re-emerging!!!
I've always wondered, ever since the 'first' rebuild, why there seems to be what looks like a floor 3/4 of the way up the first floor windows. Almost as if there is a second floor being squeezed in that takes up part of the first floor windows.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

coll wrote:I've always wondered, ever since the 'first' rebuild, why there seems to be what looks like a floor 3/4 of the way up the first floor windows. Almost as if there is a second floor being squeezed in that takes up part of the first floor windows.
When Purelake started the 'first' rebuild they were working on the basis that the first floor and roof space would be residential units. (The fact that they didn't have planning permission for such a use didn't seem to bother them.) In order to use the roofspace for bedrooms they needed a reasonable height in the roofspace, hence a first floor ceiling/floor for the roofspace was inserted at a point where it sits across windows of the first floor.

Lewisham Council has made clear that this floor is unacceptable and Purelake have agreed to remove it as part of the current rebuilding work

As I noted in an earlier post, the roof is being rebuilt first so that it will 'pull in' the walls so that they aren't damaged when the floor is removed
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Wow! The flats behind are so ugly, so noticeable when looking at them from the flat. Architect/ and !ewisham planning need to be whipped for allowing such a monstrosity to be built!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Here's the latest Friday Weekly update, coming along nicely.

biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Thanks, Parker 1970.

Key progress this week:
- The middle gable and right hand gable on the front elevation have been completed
- Chimney pots have been added to the newly built chimney stacks
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I noticed the chimney stacks as I drove past the other day. They look rather lovely with the red brick accents.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Officers will be updating Lewisham's Mayor and Cabinet on progress at a meeting on Wednesday 15 July 2015.

Their report to the Mayor and Cabinet is here.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Our local beauty is slowly coming back to life :D
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I just wish it was a bit quicker...anyone have an idea of when it will actually open for business?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Good news so far. I'd imagine further delays as they've been told to source matching components and even once done, the fitting out will be down to whichever company takes up a lease on it (as I understand it) so could be a while yet. In a staged way, I'll be happy once it's built and hoardings removed so at long last it'll cease being an eyesore - I suspect operational might come some months after that. At least it's on the right track so there's light at the end of the tunnel, or even the drinking corridor 8)
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I'll certainly be popping in for a few pints on opening night! At least I only have to walk (sic:stumble) across the road to my bed :P