Golden Lion pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Champion

Golden Lion pub

Post by Champion »

I noticed the Golden Lion looks as though it is being refurbished. Anybody know if it is a complete refurb or just a lick of paint etc?
Nigel

Re: Golden Lion pub

Post by Nigel »

I heard from a friend and former neighbour that big plans were afoot to turn it into a gastro type establishment . I got the impression it was a wholesale makeover with plans to change the clientele and even do away with things like quiz and film nights - hope this is just rumour - it could certainly do with some freshening up but it's potential to be a real community pub with full use of its function room and garden is huge . I am sure too many people like it just the way it is too .
A very good evening
Nigel
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There is some talk on the East Dulwich Forum about it:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum ... ?5,1530957

Something to do with with the Cherry Tree in Easy Dulwich taking it over. Unclear as to who this actually means as it's just been taken over so unsure whether they mean the current or old owners or the people who ran it. Various people seen to have tried to make a go of running it but the owners were pretty awkward.

There are some alarming posts on the East Dulwich forum about the Cherry tree. Fingers crossed it all works out.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Was going to post something on here myself.

If done up the Golden Lion will, I assume still be an enterprise pub, which is the same - in my opinion dreadful - organisation that own the Dolphin. The beer choice will still be limited as they will be tied but hopefully it will give a new offering. But I think they should also keep the locals happy. As was done with the Gowlett, another tied pub that with creative thinking Johnny the manager has taken from strength to strength.

It's great to see someone finally investing in the place though. It was looking very tired. A few folk I know had bets as to when it would be flats.

Pubs are important. And all those people who were anti the Dolphin will see a huge change in our High Street over the coming year or so, if this and the Greyhound are good well run businesses.

G-man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

For the record, I like the Dolphin, mostly because it's a nice place to be and I'm not really into real ales, larger etc. Their food is pretty good in general, service variable, sometimes very good, other times (in the past) not so good, but in general it's the nicest place to go in Sydenham, and the garden is stunning and worthy of love in it's own right.

Anyway, Are you sure that it's owned by Enterprise G-Man? I looked on their website and the Dolphin, Golden Lion or the Cherry Tree in East Dulwich didn't come up on any of the searches. I thought the Dolphin was owned by Inn Public, who who own the Dartmouth Arms and The Duke.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

if you dig deep enough - all pubs in south east london are owned by Purelake ... :shock: :D
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I like the Dolphin too. The garden is fab and the beer is kept well. They just have little choice on beer because they are tied.

The talk on the EDF about Cherry Tree isn't that positive either, when I first read your post I thought you were talking about the old cocktail bar Cherry Jam, which was a great place. Let's hope they feel more comfortable in Sydenham and create a great business.

Regarding Enterprise ownership, I'm just going on what I've been told. I haven't researched it. Either way most tied pubs control the price a landlord has to pay for booze and also has control on which breweries they use which is a right pain. Also the listings on the site appear to be for pubs that are available to be taken over rather than just a list of their boozers.

G-man
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I'm surprised I didn't pipe up at your mention of the Gowlett. It's been one of my favourite pubs for years;. Since just after Johnny took it over actually. I've had many birthday's there over the last 10 years or so including my 40th.

I think the Golden Lion is a great community pub and I hope they don't lose that in a refurb. It would be a shame to see the film nights go. But their beer was always been kept terribly which is what stops me going there. This may have changed though. And hopefully when the refurb is done they will sell a better selection that's well kept.

I need to try the Bricklayers. Always been quite drawn to it. I like the building. I've just never walked in. Must come to one of the music nights there. Hell, I might even try and get a gig!

G-man
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

I live very close to the Golden Lion. It's never looked clean or particularly appealing when compared to the Dolphin over the road. I welcome the refurb!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Must admit not entered the good establishment for a few years.

Before the days of smoking restrictions was definately a place for non smokers to avoid. I presume either bad ventilation or possibly a high proportion of addicts

Beer was usually fairly OK , but not spectacular.

Good luck in its new incarnation.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I think we've spoken about this a few times on here Eagle, the ale was badly kept, overly warm. Nor great. Well, that's been the case over the last 3 years or so.

I was speaking to someone in the know and they were telling me that they will be really pushing Real Ale. They're going to have a Real Ale bar, with five hand pumps, and I believe two or three keg lines - can't confirm that though. I think it could well be a great boozer. As long as it's run properly and nicely.

See you at the bar!

G-man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree G Man , could be a nice pub. Let us hope the refurbishment does the trick with many well kept real ales.
No idea why anyone would want to stock keg anymore. Surely its days are numbered.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Not at all Eagle. A lot of the new breweries use keg, key keg is best which allows the beer to ferment naturally too. It's a better way of storage, particularly for highly hopped American style beers that need a bit more fizz, (a mainstream example would be Meantime's London Pale Ale). It keeps the beer fresher, so keeping in the hop aroma and flavour. I like a keg beer personally, especially in the summer, and we'll see more of it. As you do in the states, where in NYC I went to one bar with 28 taps. Amazing selection and really exciting beer. CAMRA - whom I am a member of - are completely anti kegging, I personally think they need to wake up and smell the Siren Broken Dream Coffee Stout (available on Keg)!

Sorry to go off topic. Anyway, I'd welcome some decent kegged beers at the Golden Lion. So much good stuff out there.

G-man
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Had a peer in last night. It's looking good.

I hope they live up to their Craft Beer promise though. So many pubs say they do Craft Beer and just stick a couple of bottles of Brew Dog in the fridge. Lame.

Definitely 5 cask pumps at the bar though!

G-man
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

I passed by last weekend and it did all look rather different (I think the floors were being sanded - although it was rather dark to see through the doors). The outside paint job does look rather more 'contemporary' although may not suit all. I'll certainly vote with my feet and sample an ale or two when it opens - keen to support local businesses and the (hopeful) onwards resurgence of the High Street and its shops and taverns.

Does anyone know when it will open its doors to the paying customer?
pip

Post by pip »

Sign outside says opening this coming Friday 17th July.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Oh Fab - and it's due to be sunny on Friday :-) (a good omen)... Onwards and upwards (and a glass of beer to enjoy).
Best of luck to them in their new venture..
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

It was due a spruce up, but it's a shame they've gone for a rather predictable shade of gastropub green for the exterior paintwork.
mosy

Post by mosy »

What about an STF mini-meet on Friday then? If the weather is good, there's a nice outside garden at the side. As I'm a mosquito magnet, everyone else should be safe :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I was thinking of a mini-flash mob. But I'm not going near anyone tapping a review into their phone/tablet/laptop.

Will I be lonely?

Admin