Water supply problems in upper Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Water supply problems in upper Sydenham

Post by Robin Orton »

We have hardly any water this evening (Thorpewood Avenue area.) Have rung Thames Water and had a recorded message to say that there is a burst mains locally and that they are dealing with it.
Robin Orton

Re: Water supply problems in upper Sydenham

Post by Robin Orton »

Still off .The burst main is on Ormanton Road. A 'difficult repair.'
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Thames Water have told a neighbour should be back on by midday.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

So that explains it. Thank you.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I reported a burst in Westwood Hill close to junction with Longton Grove yesterday morning at 8.10am. Water went off yesterday evening and still not on this morning.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I have just spoken to the Thames Water guys working in Westwood Hill. They anticipate the water will be back on what is a widely affected area by 6pm - earlier if they possibly can.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Could it possibly be the big increase in London population requiring a great deal more water.

It is OK suggesting vast new housing developments but the infrastructure has to keep pace. The South East is a water deficit area.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Update: The immediate leak has been repaired although a "proper job" may need to be done at a later date. TW are slowly opening the flow to the 6000 residences affected by this leak. This is in order not put too much immediate pressure on the rest of the 12" main and causing further problems. Hopefully their target of before 6pm will be reached.

I now have very low pressure downstairs but no water upstairs.Things are improving.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Unless anything goes dreadfully wrong all seems to be ok in my neck of the woods - reasonable pressure upstairs and down - signing off....
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Yes, we seem to be OK again now. I even dared run the dishwasher, and it hasn't blown up or anything - yet.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Completely irrelevant, but my dishwater and boiler both conked out after an "offage" here a while back. I felt sure it wasn't coincidence and turned out it wasn't. Muck from "the works" wasn't filtered enough seemingly when water came back on, so some blocked the input pipe filters on my appliances. It only needed cleaning out (and a £40 callout charge, Grrrr!). Thames Water denied all knowledge of course. I imagine it's better to run taps for a while before switching appliances back on.