Hedgehogs

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
dacreswood

Hedgehogs

Post by dacreswood »

Anyone else have hedgehogs? I saw this in Dacres Wood Nature reserve this afternoon - but it's not well, I'm afraid.

It's now with a hedgehog rescue charity in Beckenham.

For more pictures, see our web site

Seeing it was good timing, in a way, because we'd just responded to an email form the RHS, forwarded by the Forest Hill Society, about a scheme to encourage people to garden for wildlife, specifically installing hedgehog holes to help them get from one back garden to the next.

Not this Saturday, but the 29th, being the last of the month, Dacres Wood will be open between 2.00 pm and 4.00 pm. Might be worth bringing some punnets for blackberrying ...

dacreswood

Re: Hedgehogs

Post by dacreswood »

after advice from the Hedgehog Preservation Society I have taken the hedgehog to an expert volunteer in Beckenham .After examination she suspected a leg injury which may well heal and the hog can be released back into Dacres Wood .If left she said it would probably have been eaten by a fox .Fingers crossed
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Excellent news on the hedgehog. Thank you.

My boys and I made a "hedgie home" and got some special hedgehog mix which we put inside.

Our garden backs up to a wild pathway the other side of which is the large communal garden and wild space of Hall Drive so there is much potential.

The boys also drafted a flyer for our neighbours informing them of our endeavours and requesting that they discontinue use of slug pellets such that any potential hedgehogs would be prevented from harm.

I'll post back with an update later.

Paul Treacy
dacreswood

Post by dacreswood »

Sadly our hedgehog was too badly wounded, and had to be put down. However, the Royal Horticultural Society and People’s Trust for Endangered Species who are interested in featuring our reserve in raising awareness of what can be done to support hedgehog populations, and fingers are crossed for a celebrity visit this October.

I'll be writing more about this in due course, but for anyone who wants to know more, meet up with us, and perhaps even pick some blackberries, the reserve is open between 2.00 and 4.00 this Saturday.

More photos of the reserve here

http://dacreswood.org.uk/weekly-walk-au ... thumbnails