Lowering the tone of the neighbourhood

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Lowering the tone of the neighbourhood

Post by Robin Orton »

Just been notified that a television commercial for McDONALDS - yes, really - is to be filmed in Radlet Avenue and Baxter Fields on Friday. But it's just not that kind of area! How many thousand pounds is it going to knock off house prices?
_HB

Re: Lowering the tone of the neighbourhood

Post by _HB »

Robin Orton wrote:But it's just not that kind of area!
That's exactly the point. Have you seen any McDonalds commercials lately? They are trying to position themselves as middle class and aspirational. Not a globo mega corp destroying the planet and making poor and stupid people fat.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

But we're not 'aspirational' round here. We know we've got as far as we're going to get, and are quite relaxed about it. Nothing else to aspire to - we've arrived at our natural level.

They should have gone to East Dulwich.
parker

Post by parker »

Robin Orton wrote:But we're not 'aspirational' round here. We know we've got as far as we're going to get, and are quite relaxed about it. Nothing else to aspire to - we've arrived at our natural level.

They should have gone to East Dulwich.
That makes me sad.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Weird. We don't have one Ronald, and we don't want one!
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

cheep huose and big mac make me vary happy ha ha
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Listen to yourselves! A big mac once in a while never hurt anyone. They are not meant to be eaten every
day just once in a while - are you the same people who got the two very nice campers kicked out
of Baxters Fields?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

sherlomi wrote:are you the same people who got the two very nice campers kicked out
of Baxters Fields?
That's for me to know and you to guess, sherlomi. Put it like this. Another tent has appeared this morning in Baxter Fields, and me and the lads is going to drop by later for a quiet chat.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Sorry, I can't make sense of what you mean although I realize that i've annoyed you!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

None of my contributions to this thread have been intended to be taken seriously. They were feeble and clearly unsuccessful attempts at satire. Apologies for not making that clear with a :D .

And you haven't annoyed me at all, Sherlomi.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Robin
I don't think you need feel too bad . I hate the sight , smell and sound of McDonalds and I would do anything I could to object to one near me .
They are a pox on the world , have a poor labour relations history , contributed to obesity and ill health ,deforestation , crap American culture , cause massive litter and market their nasty food at children .
I like nothing more than a fry up at Sema's so have no problem with very reasonably priced food in ordinary but welcoming and clean premises eg like Sema's .
But I do hate McDonald's.....

A very good evening
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nigel

You must say what you actually think and stop prevaricating .

Not a fan myself however believe your comments may be a trifle extreme. In my very humble opinion they are no worse that the thousands of awful chicken shops and cheap fry up joints.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Firstly, apologies to Robert. Its been a hell of a day and I was yanking your chain a bit although I have to
say you dont rise to it. Re people camping in Baxters Fields....well in an ideal world, maybe. But I thank you
for your vigilance. Re Eagle and McDonalds....such passion (as you can tell I dont know how to pull that
quote thing down from a previous message!!) I can think of a million things to get passionate about before
a Micky D but I'll agree with you on one thing....the fry-up's in Semas are great.
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

My apologies, Eagle, I meant Nigel in my previous
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Sherlomi
as they say, " none taken " - I agree my loathing of McDs is about 1 million and 12 from the top of my priorities - interestingly McDonalds rank 3 positions above chicken shops , and 1 below Coldplay .

The list is a lot brighter at the top end with trees, rivers, Satchmo, pork pies, Beethoven, worn in leather boots, jokes, Dorset , putting on a nice top coat of egshell, fishing, frosty mornings , lie-ins ,watching Parks and Recreation, drinking Malbec, home made burgers at Joanna's and Sydenham arts to name but a handful.

Did I mention that I hate McDonalds?

A very indulgent evening and bank holiday weekend !
Nigel
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Agree with Satchmo, I'm a big fan, but try the burgers at the Crystal Palace Market. Hard to beat, although not as hard as the meringues I just made. Bloody hell, it's knackering.